Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Montessori Ba to Ba in education Bridge?

• 31-03-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi. Im trying to find out how to transfer/upskill to a Ba in education. I currently have a Ba hons in Montessori education and it is currently not reconised by the teaching council of Ireland, and I cannot get on the teaching registrar.

I am unable to teach in public schools at this point in time.
    I attended the Hibernia open day relating to the level nine masters which allows me to be registered and thus allowing me to teach in a public primary setting.

This was before a h-dip bridge course and allowed for said bridging. It has now been raised to a masters and along with that has increased in price considerably and time.

My question is, Is there any other avenues to achieve the same outcome other than going down the Hibernia route. I have checked the citizens information site, teaching counsels site etc and a tonne of other sources but have not be definitively satisfied that I know the answer!

If someone could shed some light and mayby point me in a direction I would be great full.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

neildyr wrote: »
    Hi. Im trying to find out how to transfer/upskill to a Ba in education. I currently have a Ba hons in Montessori education and it is currently not reconised by the teaching council of Ireland, and I cannot get on the teaching registrar.

I am unable to teach in public schools at this point in time.
    I attended the Hibernia open day relating to the level nine masters which allows me to be registered and thus allowing me to teach in a public primary setting.

This was before a h-dip bridge course and allowed for said bridging. It has now been raised to a masters and along with that has increased in price considerably and time.

My question is, Is there any other avenues to achieve the same outcome other than going down the Hibernia route. I have checked the citizens information site, teaching counsels site etc and a tonne of other sources but have not be definitively satisfied that I know the answer!

If someone could shed some light and mayby point me in a direction I would be great full.

Thanks.

Seeing that you have an education related degree - have you got your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council? They will charge you €200 (it may have gone up) and tell you exactly have you to do in order to get registered. I know nothing about your course but I'm sure there will similarities with your programme and you may not have to do a full PME but modules. I'm assuming that your degree would have been similar to a primary education degree but as I said I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

No other way around it but do the masters. Do you have a c3 or higher in honours Irish. The course content will be quite different, focusing on the full irish curriculum and has placement with different age ranges. You probably will have some overlap with pedagogy but this course will definitely be required for you to get a job in a primary school.

No other way around it but do the masters. Do you have a c3 or higher in honours Irish. The course content will be quite different, focusing on the full irish curriculum and has placement with different age ranges. You probably will have some overlap with pedagogy but this course will definitely be required for you to get a job in a primary school.

But is a primary teacher qualification an 'inclusive' programme (can't think of a better word) where your teaching qualification is included in your degree where you don't do a masters? I'm sure there would be a lot of similarities between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Some Montessori qualifications allow you to teach in a Special School if you were interested in that route. A number of my colleagues are trained in Montessori as opposed to primary trained teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

But is a primary teacher qualification an 'inclusive' programme (can't think of a better word) where your teaching qualification is included in your degree where you don't do a masters? I'm sure there would be a lot of similarities between the two.

No necessarily. There is a two year postgraduate course that adds on primary teaching to any degree. While there would be similarities. You find the course content to be very different.

• Advertisement

No necessarily. There is a two year postgraduate course that adds on primary teaching to any degree. While there would be similarities. You find the course content to be very different.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement