Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

When cashing out do you send the prize bonds in the post or just put the bond numbers on form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

danwhite88 wrote: »
    When cashing out do you send the prize bonds in the post or just put the bond numbers on form?

You must return the bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The draw is on 16 March because of St Patrick's Day. I have a winner today, notable for being one of the bonds I got by reinvesting winnings from my main holdings. From memory this happened twice before over the years.

Congratulations you have new winners.
    Draw Date Prize Value Bond Number
    16 March 2017 €50 NG682203

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Not doing well, 1 €50 in 15 mths,

For curiosity i put my 3 letters plus all numbers ***0000000 to ***999999 just to see how many wins in that range for 6 months, result was 340 wins all for €50,

Has anyone 3 lucky letters ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Winnings on 16th March 2017: €50
    Last win 13th February 2017: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €900
    Total winnings since Oct 2016 on €20k: €0

• Advertisement

Hadn't even struck me change of day due to St Patrick's Day - just logged on now - 2 X €50! Good man St Patrick! :):)

Big C wrote: »

For curiosity i put my 3 letters plus all numbers ***0000000 to ***999999 just to see how many wins in that range for 6 months, result was 340 wins all for €50,

Just for curiosity, I put in the letters of my largest batch (only 2 letters so a good bit older than 15 months) - only 288 prizes (but one for €500 - not mine alas) so 340 prizes for your 3 letters bodes well!

Edited to add - you have me interested now - I put in random 3 letters ABA - 313 prizes including 3 X €1000!!!! ADA, AFA and AGA each won €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Big C wrote: »

Statistically, that's just over 90% of the number of wins you would expect to get if you held 1,000,000 bonds for 6 months. However, the likelihood is that not all the bonds are still in issue, which would bring the number of wins more into line with expectations.

It probably also explains why the number of winners beginning with ABA is smaller, at 313. As those bonds are older, it is likely that a greater proportion of them has been cashed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

€50 for me aswell, that's the beers paid for tomorrow night, happy St Patricks everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Nothing for me today.
    Last win €50 last week, 10th instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

No St Patrick luck for me this week:( last win last win 24th February €50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us either this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm suffering from sour grapes at the moment reading about all these wins and we've never won anything, so I think I will just cash 'em in now. :(

Don't give up so easily! 'Tis that "Depths of Despair" location. If you are NOT in, you certainly won't win, though you've noooo guarantee even if you are! Better days coming.....Good Luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Naw, 40 years is too long to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 16th March 2017: 0
    Last win 23rd December 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2300

Cashed out on this last week. Posted the form on Thursday and received cheque in post yesterday. Surprised it went through so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

Half thinking of doing the same Danwhite. Is it the lack of return that made you cash in?
    I have a tracker mortgage, but could clear a good chunk of it if I cashed in my prize bonds. Would save more money by paying off the 0.75% tracker than I am making on the prize bonds at the moment!

snor wrote:
    Half thinking of doing the same Danwhite. Is it the lack of return that made you cash in? /quote]

I've had these bonds for just over one year and I have not won anything. My bonds are alot less than what some people have in this thread.

When I got my quarterly bank fees bill last week I decided to put my bonds into my bank to qualify for free banking. So while I didn't make any money over the year with prize bonds, I now know I will save 30-40 per quarter on banking fees.

Good move. At least you know you are getting some return rather than living in hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

snor wrote: »
    Half thinking of doing the same Danwhite. Is it the lack of return that made you cash in?
    I have a tracker mortgage, but could clear a good chunk of it if I cashed in my prize bonds. Would save more money by paying off the 0.75% tracker than I am making on the prize bonds at the moment!

Good move by Danwhite, getting rid of his ripoff bank charges.

In your case snor I'm not so sure, a 0.75% tracker is as close as you can get to free money, not saying leave it in prize bonds but you should be able to put your money somewhere that will pay better than the 0.75% you are paying on the tracker. I reckon the financial institution would love to see you paying off (part of) your tracker at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

<duplicate post>

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

danwhite88 wrote: »
    snor wrote:
    Half thinking of doing the same Danwhite. Is it the lack of return that made you cash in? /quote]

I've had these bonds for just over one year and I have not won anything. My bonds are alot less than what some people have in this thread.

When I got my quarterly bank fees bill last week I decided to put my bonds into my bank to qualify for free banking. So while I didn't make any money over the year with prize bonds, I now know I will save 30-40 per quarter on banking fees.

E30-40 per quarter?! Check out EBS, they have a fee-free current account called Money Manager, that requires no minimum balance, or minimum deposit per month: https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/ebs/T7ZTPH/moneymanager-account/. That way you can keep the PB and keep dreaming every Friday :D

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Good move by Danwhite, getting rid of his ripoff bank charges.

In your case snor I'm not so sure, a 0.75% tracker is as close as you can get to free money, not saying leave it in prize bonds but you should be able to put your money somewhere that will pay better than the 0.75% you are paying on the tracker. I reckon the financial institution would love to see you paying off (part of) your tracker at that rate.

would love me to pay it off indeed! hard to get a low risk return of 0.75% at the moment. And there is something psychologically very appealing about being mortgage free. maybe I will win big tomorrow and change my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 24th March 2017: 0
    Last win 23rd December 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2300

Nothing on my bunch today.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

scotchy wrote: »
    That's correct. I've added about 10- 12k over the last 8 months or so but have not been having any extra wins, anyway, the first thing I do when I get a win is post here.:rolleyes:

€50 today. That's the second €50 for 2017 on about €38K :)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

€50 on 10th March but "Sorry" today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

€50 for us today - a nice birthday surprise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

€50 for me today, last win 24th February, exactly 1 month ago, both wins on €30k batch, 4 wins on this batch purchased June 2016.
    Last win on €20k batch 30th December 2016.

Advertisement