Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Insurance on MX5 - primary vehicle requirement

Options
  • 16-03-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all, I put this in the Classics sub-forum as I think I might have better luck here than in the motor insurance section.

I have been trying to get an insurance quote on a Mk2 MX5 on a regular policy for a while, but most insurers either don't want to go near them or require you to be at least 30 years old to drive a "performance vehicle".

Not wanting to give up, I've been toying with the idea of getting an early model year Mk1 and putting it on a vintage policy.

I imagine many before me have tried to get around the acceptance criteria for a "main" vehicle to be able to have classic insurance. I don't need 2 cars, so I'm trying to see if any insurers are flexible on this.

I called around yesterday - one that I've seen suggested in the past for this, autoline newry, do require a main vehicle in your own name. First Ireland said they flat out don't take on MX5s as part of their classic scheme anymore. Called around a few others too and they either have the regular requirement for another vehicle in your own name, or don't do MX5s for one reason or another.

A promising result was Carol Nash. They will allow the primary vehicle to be a motorbike, provided it's insured with them - but alas, when asked about an MX5 on a classic policy, the response was that they "don't insure 'that type of car', or imprezas or skylines or anything like that", using the rep's words.

My question - is anyone aware of any insurers that will accept named driver insurance on another car, or a motorbike as part of the "main vehicle" acceptance criteria on a vintage policy for an MX5?

I'm also aware that classic car clubs do deals with underwriters for insurance for members (e.g. IVETA). I assume that the acceptance criteria in such cases are unchanged and are determined by the underwriters still?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Is your MX5 a Jap import? How old are you?

A pal of mine has just bought a '99 Irish car and insured it with no issues. He is in his early sixties though!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

w124man wrote: »
    Is your MX5 a Jap import? How old are you?

A pal of mine has just bought a '99 Irish car and insured it with no issues. He is in his early sixties though!

I'm going on 25 so I thought now would be a good time to start looking for one and sorting all this stuff out. The ones I'm looking at are not jap imports, but all the insurers I've spoken with don't seem to care too much - just a general dislike towards mx5s due to them being soft tops and being considered 'performance cars'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ridiculous really : all MX-5s are imports.....All made in Japan....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Think you will need to bite the bullet and get a main car. The advantage is that you will accrue no claims and as the owner of 2 classics I always needed the reassurance of a main car when the old ones give trouble.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I've had a similar problem trying to get classic insurance quotes on a 180sx lately.

Even with a main vehicle, First Ireland and Autoline wouldn't entertain the idea for me.

I'm 25, and their acceptance criteria states you must be over 25, but when I rang up each insurer gave me different reasons:

1) We don't insure cars like that at all

2) For that particular type of "high performance" car, you need to be 30 years of age.

Honestly I think your best bet is to walk into an insurance broker and talk to someone. I find when you ring up any insurer nowadays its a case of Computer says no - and there's no reasoning with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

galwaytt wrote: »

You know what I mean when I say 'Jap import'

All cars are imports

I'd go as far to say that all cars in Ireland are imports. The annoying thing is that all post '93 (?) MX5s are identical as far as I'm aware - whether they're Eunos branded or MX5. Immobilisers, alarms, etc. All present and the same.

Thanks for the useful responses. I think there won't be a huge problem insuring an MX5 on a classic policy the conventional way - keeping a main car in my own name. The reason I'm asking is that we already have 2 cars in the household, and don't need a third. I drive less than 5k miles a year, and I'd rather keep my girlfriend's car in her own name, so we don't have to change ownership on her car, prevent her from building up NCB, etc. And if I'd have to get another vehicle, a motorbike wouldn't be our of the question.

If anyone has any other info, I'd appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I was with First Ireland a few years back and had a classic car policy with them as well as them covering my daily driver. They gave me a very good deal on both)
    Then I sold the classic and my daily driver (e36 bmw) went over the 20 year mark so they said they ended up giving me a reduced mileage regular policy on that in order to bring down the premium. I was only going to be driving it on summer weekends anyway so that was no problem.

I did ask them could I take out a cheap classic policy on the bmw but was told flat out no, I'd need another modern car insured.

RE: Mx5 v Eunos - Far as I know only the Jap imports have the torsen LSD, air con and earlier mk1's have power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

I think you may have a different problem tbh. Ye see all classic/vintage policies now have the stipulation that you may only use the vehicle for shows or repairs etc.therefore if it was your only car and say you were on your way to work or something,if you got stopped or had a tip your insurance would be useless.theres alt of guards now very passed off with the classic seen Aswell because of a few fools with plated up cars etc so they will pull ye to check your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

gavman1 wrote: »
    I think you may have a different problem tbh. Ye see all classic/vintage policies now have the stipulation that you may only use the vehicle for shows or repairs etc.therefore if it was your only car and say you were on your way to work or something,if you got stopped or had a tip your insurance would be useless.theres alt of guards now very passed off with the classic seen Aswell because of a few fools with plated up cars etc so they will pull ye to check your details.

Since when? I've been using classic insurance for years and have never heard of anything like that. My car is my daily and only car, the only stipulation is that i'm limited to 6k miles a year.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Since when? I've been using classic insurance for years and have never heard of anything like that. My car is my daily and only car, the only stipulation is that i'm limited to 6k miles a year.

Yeah, classic insurance isn't like commerical tax, where you are supposed to only be using the vehicle for commercial purposes. Mileage limitation is the one hang up about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

"gavman1 wrote:
    Ye see all classic/vintage policies now have the stipulation that you may only use the vehicle for shows or repairs etc.therefore if it was your only car and say you were on your way to work or something,if you got stopped or had a tip your insurance would be useless.

This a new requirement? Never heard anything about it?

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah, classic insurance isn't like commerical tax, where you are supposed to only be using the vehicle for commercial purposes. Mileage limitation is the one hang up about it really.

Well I can only tell ye what I was told by umpteen ins companies last year when I was shopping around.in fact I even tried getting insurance through iveta and was told the same thing.it is very clearly stated on my policy from seritus Aswell. Could it be for new business only?

Can I ask what your paying and who your with please,the 6k limit wouldn't bother me attack,it's just the non domestic use thing is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No they bloody don't :rolleyes:.

Have a '90 MX5 (and two Mini's) with Autoline for the last 3 years. What you are saying is total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Have a '90 MX5 (and two Mini's) with Autoline for the last 3 years. What you are saying is total BS.

It's not that simple. Some do.

No it ain't bull ****,and I tried autoline,they bloody do,at least through a brokers anyway.i love the way people on boards always think that what they say has to be correct and what everyone else says is bull****.

It's very simple.You said all classic policies now have this stipulation.
    They don't.

You said "shows or repairs etc". What does "etc" include ?

It's very simple.You said all classic policies now have this stipulation.
    They don't.

You said "shows or repairs etc". What does "etc" include ?

"all" as in all the ones I could find when shopping around last year as stated."all" as in when I was told by umpteen brokers/ ins companies as stated.i don't have access to every classic ins policy ever printed."etc" means non domestic use in ins speak.i wrote my reply to try'n help the op out,wasn't try'n to upset the "bitches"ie contrary oul fekers who think they know everything.

Maybe the Insurers just don't like you Gav ;)

Anyway, gotta go now. 2 Mini's and an MX for only €224 all-in. With no special stipulations. But sure, what would I know ?

• Advertisement

Can I ask what your paying and who your with please,the 6k limit wouldn't bother me attack,it's just the non domestic use thing is a pain.

I currently have a 97 bmw 840 4.4L and my insurance is 400 a year and has been for many years. I've had the same policy with axa, allianz and aig over the last dozen years or so.

Mind you the 2100 motor tax is still a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I currently have a 97 bmw 840 4.4L ....

Mind you the 2100 motor tax is still a pain though.

You mean €1800 - €2200 is post 08 reg cars....still a major PITA, I agree.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You mean €1800 - €2200 is post 08 reg cars....still a major PITA, I agree.

1809 if you pay for 12 months, but it's more expensive when you can only afford to pay every 3 months which is 511 so 2044 per year

Well I can only tell ye what I was told by umpteen ins companies last year when I was shopping around.in fact I even tried getting insurance through iveta and was told the same thing.it is very clearly stated on my policy from seritus Aswell. Could it be for new business only?

Possibly. My renewal is up in April and I'll be checking with them about this but as for my current policy with autoline there is certainly nothing in the T&C's about stipulations like this.
    Sure a huge proportion of classic owners don't bother with shows/events at all. Sounds mad.

Is it possible that he is looking for vintage insurance instead of classic, or is that even a thing in ireland?

Here's a scan of my classic insurance t&c Pretty much unchanged between axa, aig and allianz over the last decade or so
    r3a0aMDh.png
    yKcqiKul.png

That's a general list of Limitations and Uses.
    Your particular Limitations, etc would be shown on the front of the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just got a classic quote from Autoline, underwirtten by Allianz for a 2000 728i, 3000 mile limit, €495, fully comp. Waiting to see if 3rd party brings it down, can't imagine it will by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I recently insured my mx5 2002. It is my only car.
    I am 44, cost €560

• Advertisement

Some good insight here. I wasn't aware of any limitations on classic policies re show use only, etc. so I'll make sure to be on the lookout for such going forward.

To clarify, I can't imagine I'll have much issue getting a classic policy on an MX5 provided I have a main, modern car insured in my name. A number of insurers confirmed this when I called them up. What I'm looking for is someone who will provide classic insurance on an MX5 without the need for a main car - instead being satisfied with me being a named driver on another car, or using a motorbike as a main vehicle.

I've only had one insurer say they would be happy to do this (bike as main vehicle), but they don't insure MX5s on classic policies (regardless of age)!

I wouldn't have a huge issue with having a main vehicle if I didn't only do about 5k miles a year - just want to pick up an MX5 so I can enjoy driving on the days that I do, especially when the weather is good, and have a car to work on, all without spending a too much money.

@Skatedude, out of curiosity, is your 840 on a classic policy and your only vehicle? I assume that if the answer is yes to both, you're getting that due to having had the car insured previously under the same terms (?).
    ligertigon wrote: »
    I recently insured my mx5 2002. It is my only car.
    I am 44, cost €560

Is that on a classic policy or a 'regular' one?

Advertisement