Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Brexit

Options
  • 13-03-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Ok so I have this flat mate. He is English but has lived in Ireland for a pretty long time...over ten years. However during his time in Ireland he has NEVER worked a day in his life. He has been on the dole since he arrived in this country. Toward the end of last year, the Dole office forced him to do some maintenance work at a home for disabled people...this job is not paying him, he just has to do it to keep getting dole money. Anyway, he had said several times that he does not plan on going back to the UK because "taxes are too high" there. He doesn't want to apply for an Irish passport however. He said he would rather have his British Passport and he will only apply for an Irish Passport if he has too. Now needless to say I find all of this very, very annoying. I know it is none of my business but there is nothing wrong with this man except he is lazy, he has no disabilities at all...he just doesn't want to work. I am curious to know how Brexit will likely affect this man. Will Ireland continue to give him dole money after Britain leaves the EU? Will Ireland even give him a passport considering he hasn't worked a day in his life? His best friend is in the same boat he is in...doesn't have a job...lives off the dole and is british...just curious what is going to happen with these people. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: OP, this forum is for discussing politics. As such, I am closing this thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement