Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Can't be named for legal reasons"

Options
  • 09-03-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

There was a story in most of the papers recently about a court case in which a man (once well known) pleaded guilty to sex offences with a minor.

Most papers said the man "can't be named for legal reasons"

A tabloid, however, went ahead and put his name in the headline and even included a picture of him.

Is "can't be named.." just a cover for papers to hide the identity of somebody they know for safety's sake? Or is the tabloid in question likely to be roasted by the judiciary for contempt of court?

Can we trust papers who hide behind "legal reasons" to tell the whole truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

My understanding is that it's to hide the identity of the victim as by naming the convict, the victim can be identified.

Sometimes the victim waves her right to anonymity so that the convict can be named

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

My understanding is that it's to hide the identity of the victim as by naming the convict, the victim can be identified.

Sometimes the victim waves her right to anonymity so that the convict can be named

I can understand that. But is it a convention entered into by newspapers or a legally enforced ruling?

I can't believe a newspaper, even a tabloid, would risk legal censure by so blatantly revealing the person's identity if they weren't sure they would get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

I can understand that. But is it a convention entered into by newspapers or a legally enforced ruling?

I can't believe a newspaper, even a tabloid, would risk legal censure by so blatantly revealing the person's identity if they weren't sure they would get away with it.

Did you miss the news of the world saga? Honestly, lots of editors will print anything if it generates public interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's generally enforced by the Judge in the case unless the victim chooses not to have their anonymity be protected.

Advertisement