Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIT ICTAP - yes or no

Options
  • 05-03-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Did anyone finish the program or at least gotten placed in to a company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scaldy_balls

Throwaway to protect the innocent (or guilty).

I'm part of the first run which is due to end in May, so no-one would have officially completed it yet.
    One person from software was hired already by their company, I'm reasonable confident of getting a job. I've heard a few from the initial systems stream were hired, but I can't verify that.

If anyone has any questions about the course, feel free to PM me, but leave a comment here to that effect, this isn't my regular account and I don't check it except to respond to ICTAP questions, I'll follow this thread with my regular account so I can get a notification. Sorry to whoever pm'd me 5 months ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MuadDib1990

When you say someone was alreay hired, its possible to finish the course before 2 years?
    Did you have any income during the first 6 months?
    Were you happy with the teachers?
    How much were you paid after the first six months and how much do you expect to get paid after the 2 years?
    Are you glad you went to FIT ICTAP?

Thank you for your reply. It's a big decision for me any information would help.

Yeah, one person just asked their company to hire them after around six months and they did.

Income of 188 during the first 6 months, if you have to move for the course, you may get rent allowance (€70), I can't remember if you needed to be unemployed beforehand to get paid for the first 6 months, I think you might have.

Somewhere between 260-290 iirc for the next 6 months (you'll be working 3 days a week), then 340 - 385 I think (stay on 3 days for 6 months, then go to 4 days). I've been working full time since around 4 months in.

Teachers ranged from, "I don't think you should be on this course, never mind teaching it," to quite good. We had to do a lot of arguing to get even basic equipment sorted (pcs with 2gb of ram when we started, could barely use chrome).
    I think the made changes for the second intake to improve the teachers, but I wasn't talking to them personally, so I can't say for definite.

If you've ever been in FAS, that's what it is, with all the bull**** that comes along with it. Prepare to be treated like a child.

Overall, I think the city and guild qualifications are useless, but I only signed up for the work placement.

I am glad I did the course, but it could have just been the work placement and I would have been happier with it.

On saying all that, it was the first run of he course,so obviously there were going to be teething problems, hopefully they've sorted them out.

If you go for it, make sure you get into a good company, treat it like a job interview, ask them what they're expecting from you and the course, there were a couple of people who were placed with a company that didn't have realistic expectations of the course and didn't have the capability to train people.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Out of curiosity, how good are the graduates? I appreciate that's a "it depends" question, but looking at the syllabus it looks very broad and shallow and doesn't provide the kind of deep grounding in say, algorithmic theory, that you'd need to become the promised "senior engineer" one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MuadDib1990

Thank You scaldi_balls :D. I still can't make a definitive decision.
    I just got a job as a ramp agent at the airport working 4 days then I'm 4 days off. My other option is to keep my current job and try some online course when I'm not working + some volunteer work like CoderDojo. If I were younger I would go for FIT straight away, just turned 27.
    I agree with you if it was just the work placement it would be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

14ned wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how good are the graduates? I appreciate that's a "it depends" question, but looking at the syllabus it looks very broad and shallow and doesn't provide the kind of deep grounding in say, algorithmic theory, that you'd need to become the promised "senior engineer" one day.

That, plus its also a level 6 qualification. You'd need to do another year add on in an institute to get a level 7 Batchelors degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

That, plus its also a level 6 qualification. You'd need to do another year add on in an institute to get a level 7 Batchelors degree.

Very interesting. I've long argued in favour of this level of IT training, I've always felt employers always winge about lack of sufficiently trained people when they really mean lack of sufficiently trained people for the price they are wanting to pay. And most developers are utilised far below their ability in their jobs precisely because of the lack of liquidity in the available workforce, so employers hoard people and barely utilise them for fear of them leaving. This sort of training could greatly help make the IT profession much more normal and less dysfunctional.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Very interesting. I've long argued in favour of this level of IT training, I've always felt employers always winge about lack of sufficiently trained people when they really mean lack of sufficiently trained people for the price they are wanting to pay. And most developers are utilised far below their ability in their jobs precisely because of the lack of liquidity in the available workforce, so employers hoard people and barely utilise them for fear of them leaving. This sort of training could greatly help make the IT profession much more normal and less dysfunctional.

Niall

I think there's a more sinister thing at play as well. The so-called lack of available candidates is used to justify out-sourcing and importing foreign candidates. The real shortage is for senior, full stack developers willing to work for 35K. There is a solution to that problem, just pay them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

If you go for it, make sure you get into a good company, treat it like a job interview, ask them what they're expecting from you and the course, there were a couple of people who were placed with a company that didn't have realistic expectations of the course and didn't have the capability to train people.
    I'm curious as to how this works exactly. Does everyone on your course interview with all the companies or are you kind of matched up according to your strengths?

I might send you a PM if you don't mind.

I'm not fully sure how many interviews everyone had, I was pretty late applying, so there weren't many places left open by that stage. I assume there was some kind of skills matching, I only interviewed with two companies.

Edit: Just to add for clarity, you are interviewed by the companies and must be accepted by one to get on the course.

• Advertisement

Hard to say, I think most people would say they were under-prepared by the time they got to their companies.

That's not to say there aren't competent programmers on the course now, but it's not because of the course work.

The main problem with the course is we basically made the same project in C#, VB, Java and C. The time would have probably been better spent with one language and explaining it properly.

Each time it was teach as little as possible and use any short cuts necessary to get the program made. So forget algorithms, encapsulation, inheritance...

I think the sql module was pretty much just select statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amador

Hi everyone and thanks for the useful info.

I have signed in for the ICTAP program too. I did pass the first test and the following interview from FIT, and was informed that my CV was forwarded to prospective employers. Since then, I'm waiting already 2 weeks and I haven't been called or emailed from anyone. I wonder, if that is normal and usually takes that amount of time. I also wonder, if it would be appropriate to call FIT and ask for some more information, or just wait.
    Any suggestions and thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Amador wrote: »

I have signed in for the ICTAP program too. I did pass the first test and the following interview from FIT, and was informed that my CV was forwarded to prospective employers. Since then, I'm waiting already 2 weeks and I haven't been called or emailed from anyone. I wonder, if that is normal and usually takes that amount of time. I also wonder, if it would be appropriate to call FIT and ask for some more information, or just wait.

Thanks.

No harm calling them. When I passed the aptitude test, they sent me to an interview with a company I decided not to accept even if the wanted to take me on.
    I didn't hear from them for a few weeks so I called and asked if there were any other places. They arranged another interview.

They're probably just waiting to hear back from employers, but just get used to doing all the legwork when dealing with FIT.

Good luck with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlessingUsoro

Amador wrote: »

Thanks.
    Hi there I just sent you a PM. Please get back to me as soon as you see this, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlessingUsoro

I'm part of the first run which is due to end in May, so no-one would have officially completed it yet.
    One person from software was hired already by their company, I'm reasonable confident of getting a job. I've heard a few from the initial systems stream were hired, but I can't verify that.

If anyone has any questions about the course, feel free to PM me, but leave a comment here to that effect, this isn't my regular account and I don't check it except to respond to ICTAP questions, I'll follow this thread with my regular account so I can get a notification. Sorry to whoever pm'd me 5 months ago :(
    Hi scaldy_balls, I just sent you a PM, please get back to me when you see it. Thank you.

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mrtweed

hi scaldy_balls,

just about to do the aptitude test for this course. would love to drop you a pm if you dont mind?

mrtweed wrote: »
    hi scaldy_balls,

just about to do the aptitude test for this course. would love to drop you a pm if you dont mind?

Fire ahead.

This is an answer I sent someone before, it may be of some use?
    It was two years ago, so my memory of it isn't too fresh, but I can only remember three parts.
    One was reading comprehension: read a paragraph and answer questions on it, things like that; one was maths: simple enough as far as I remember multiply, divide, add, I don't think it was too complex.

The only bit that was in any way complicated was diagrammatic reasoning. I can't really remember how it went.

I've attached an image of what it looked like, but there's no explanation. I think the circle means change the attribute indicated (there are three pairs, orange-green, diamond-triangle and big-small) and square means compare it against the other shape on the left (small green triangle in this case)

So if I remember correct, big orange triangle becomes big orange diamond after the first step, then you compare size (it's a different size so follow N), then change the size and colour (it becomes a small green diamond) then you compare colour (both are green so follow Y).

The final shape is small green diamond.

Sorry for the terrible explanation, here's the link for the site that image is from, unfortunately they want to charge £40 for practice tests.

It's not too complicated, it's just that it required more thinking than the other parts I remember.

diagrammatic-reasoning-big-4.png
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 intothewoods9

Hi Scadly, I pmed you. Here's the comment for notification.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

Where r u guys applying for , I applied for Galway and never heard back so applied to Dublin and did the assessment and interview in January but have been waiting since then. Has anyone else been accepted

• Advertisement

kkeith5 wrote: »
    Where r u guys applying for , I applied for Galway and never heard back so applied to Dublin and did the assessment and interview in January but have been waiting since then. Has anyone else been accepted

Maybe give FIT a call and ask?

I know the first round took a long time to get a class together, I heard about it when I was starting a fas java course but didn't apply for it as I thought it would start soon. I applied towards the end, which was around 6 months later and they still hadn't filled it. started a couple of weeks after that though.

Maybe give FIT a call and ask?

I know the first round took a long time to get a class together, I heard about it when I was starting a fas java course but didn't apply for it as I thought it would start soon. I applied towards the end, which was around 6 months later and they still hadn't filled it. started a couple of weeks after that though.

When I first did the assessment they were saying hopefully March, rang them in March and they said hopefully April/May something about they r looking to fill 100 spots but need over 100 candidates for companies to choose from.
    Did u do yours in Dublin and what was the company interviews like.

Yeah, I was in Dublin. I was in the first round of the course, So I think it was May 2015.

First interview didn't go too well, I couldn't really get an idea of what the position was. By the end, I was confident I wasn't going to get it, but I also decided I wouldn't accept it even if I was offered it. (The company ended up letting go of both their apprentices, they were a small company and didn't have the capability to train people and seemed to be expecting fully trained staff for apprentice rates.)

Second interview was much better, ended up being a chat more than anything, to be honest. It was with a fairly big company, so they were used to taking on interns and knew what to expect from them.

Yeah, I was in Dublin. I was in the first round of the course, So I think it was May 2015.

First interview didn't go too well, I couldn't really get an idea of what the position was. By the end, I was confident I wasn't going to get it, but I also decided I wouldn't accept it even if I was offered it. (The company ended up letting go of both their apprentices, they were a small company and didn't have the capability to train people and seemed to be expecting fully trained staff for apprentice rates.)

Second interview was much better, ended up being a chat more than anything, to be honest. It was with a fairly big company, so they were used to taking on interns and knew what to expect from them.

Thank you for replying how has your overall experience been and what is the main area you work in now eg ( java, sql)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RoZZaH

PM'd scaldy_balls
    Where did people do their training in Dublin - as in which college? Whitehall
    Anyone know where else FIT ICTAP courses/placements are offered - particularly which college and how organised they are - heard there's a big variance.

RoZZaH wrote: »
    PM'd scaldy_balls
    Anyone know where else FIT ICTAP courses/placements are offered - particularly which college and how organised they are - heard there's a big variance.

Mine was in a Fas centre in poppintree. I think they are all hosted in Fas centres although i'm not 100% on that.

I think they're rolling out courses all over ireland. I don't know where specifically though.

To answer your questions from the PM.
    was it good/ bad
    have you heard if they have improved (or disimproved)..
    I think the quality is still fairly similar. I mentioned what I think are the main issues above in my reply to ned.
    thinking of doing this but am fairly serious and academic

If you are able to do a degree, i'd recommend that route. if you can't for whatever reason, this might be worth a look. The education part isn't enough in my opinion to get you a job as a dev, You'll need to do a lot of learning by yourself. but if you look at it as a way to get paid 8 hours a day to study, it can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

RoZZaH wrote: »
    PM'd scaldy_balls

They're in tallaght, baldoyle & Finglas training centers.

First classes supposed to be starting at end of July.

Was only in there for a meeting on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FabianaLuz

Hi! I applied for this course (network engineering) and I'm just waiting for the company interview now. I read a lot about this programme and I would like to know if there is some sort of calendar you can share which I can check to plan future holidays etc.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pillphil

FabianaLuz wrote: »
    Hi! I applied for this course (network engineering) and I'm just waiting for the company interview now. I read a lot about this programme and I would like to know if there is some sort of calendar you can share which I can check to plan future holidays etc.
    Thank you!

Unfortunately, there's no calendar. afair the courses start when all places are filled. There shouldn't be a problem with holidays in the first 6 months, as that's during the educational part, so they can't really stop you. And generally the companies are more reasonable to deal with than the etb are.

In general, the course runs all year and the only time off (from the etb at least) is some time around christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 FabianaLuz

pillphil,

Good to know. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement