Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 255 problems

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a Nuvi 255 for a fair few years - its getting old but still does a decent job.
    I have Lifetime Europe Updates and have updated it several times with no problems. But the other day it froze during the update and is now saying no maps found.
    I was on to Garmin and they recommended using Map Installer and loading again. I did but its still not working. When I connect it to the PC it recognises the Nuvi and says all maps up to date. But the device itself says no maps found. I've emailed Garmin again but they haven't replied.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you selected the map from the device menus? If there's an SD card in the device then maybe it's reverted to the pre-installed map and doesn't like it, check the device menus to see which map it's trying to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

coylemj wrote:
    Have you selected the map from the device menus? If there's an SD card in the device then maybe it's reverted to the pre-installed map and doesn't like it, check the device menus to see which map it's trying to use.

Problem is that I can't do anything on the device because when I switch on, it immediatly shows the no maps message and won't let me past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to do a hard (factory) reset. Note that this will erase all your stored waypoints. If you have an SD Card in the device, it might be no harm to remove it before you do a reset.

While the device is switched off, press your thumb on the lower-right corner of the screen and keep it there, then switch the device on. You will then be asked if you're sure that you want to erase all data, at that stage you can take your thumb off the screen, reply 'yes' and it will do a reset.

coylemj wrote: »
    You need to do a hard (factory) reset. Note that this will erase all your stored waypoints. If you have an SD Card in the device, it might be no harm to remove it before you do a reset.

While the device is switched off, press your thumb on the lower-right corner of the screen and keep it there, then switch the device on. You will then be asked if you're sure that you want to erase all data, at that stage you can take your thumb off the screen, reply 'yes' and it will do a reset.

Thanks - yeah I've already tried that a couple of times, both with the SD card in and out. When I then do a map re-install, it goes so far and then freezes. Usually with one hour 15 left but the most recent attempt stuck at one hour 41.

I've located a guy who repairs all sorts of GPS so I'll take it to him and see if he has any more success.

So my techie got it sorted in 15 minutes - a corrupted SD card. I found the Garmin on-line and phone support a bit of a mixed bag. They were accessible and tried to be helpful but they seem to mostly have "off the shelf" solutions that they just email out. Anything that doesn't fall under a few standard topics is a problem.

You can't beat human intervention!

• Advertisement
Advertisement