Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Localized strong wind threats on Wednesday (1st) and overnight (1st-2nd March)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1600 reports. Knock airport 3 degrees with moderate/heavy Sleet

Mace head gusting 49 knots(56mph)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy, squally hail shower just passed through. Blue skies now. Ground is saturated, wetter than it has been all winter.

Knock airport TAF update at 1605 going for strongest gusts of up to 40 knots between midnight and 3am.Shannon also updated going for strongest winds between 5pm and 11pm gusting up to 46 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy, squally hail shower just passed through. Blue skies now. Ground is saturated, wetter than it has been all winter.

Noticed flooded fields in parts of Mayo today.

• Advertisement

Just checked met.ie. Orange marine alert, and at the top of the page where it lists the county you are in, winds already storm force for Galway.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp?t=Marine.

Was that expected so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It was pretty much expected around now yeah, I assume Galway is Mace Head.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It was pretty much expected around now yeah, I assume Galway is Mace Head.

Ah. I keep thinking I am Mizen Head./Valentia . not quite relocated in my mind yet... only been here a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

MSLP analysis at 4pm (from Met.ie).

WEB_Analysis.png?1708

A messy picture really. Pressure here in east Galway steady at the mo with winds having picked up a little after that band of rain (was calm before it arrived)

New Moon

5pm TAF out now,

Knock has sleet until 3am, strongest winds 25kts G 40kts from 12 until 3am.

Dublin has a chance of sleet from 12am until 3am strongest winds 9pm-12am 25kts G 41kts

Shannon has graupel showers until 3am, and possible sleet until 3am, strongest winds 6pm until 1am, 30kts G 46kts.

Cork has graupel showers until 8pm and a chance of sleet until 8pm, strongest winds from now 25kts G 40kts.

• Advertisement

Netweather radar has Sleet and snow over the wicklow mountains atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from Roundwood area in Wicklow?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Peculiar looking system I have to say. No real defined low, just a tighter gradient on the southern edge of occluded trough:

sdf.gif

Met Eireann's Hirlam model has a shallow low of 991 mb right over me at 1800 hrs. Pressure here currently is 993.6 mb and is now rising a little? Perhaps these little lows are tracking a tiny bit further north than anticipated?

sso.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy here near Tralee but nothing too severe . Gust 58 km/h just now W .

Galway / Clare looks to get strong wind around 02.00- 03.00

G5LIFjB.png

9pNtnvN.png

ezkyZW6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

i'm confused, MT says worst of the winds in Galway\Mayo between 8pm and 10pm, others are saying between 2am and 3am, can someone clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

( Originally Posted by pilly)
    Did I see a photo of snow in Dingle in the paper yesterday?
    weisses wrote: »
    Maybe on the Mountains ? or some hail that didn't thaw straight away

Didn't see any myself

Pictures in the Kerryman today from top of the Conor Pass of cars in difficulty after a "blizzard" like shower last Monday, these pics may have been used elsewhere also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Pictures in the Kerryman today from top of the Conor Pass of cars in difficulty after a "blizzard" like shower last Monday, these pics may have been used elsewhere also.

Yes, in the Mirror I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

typhoony wrote: »
    i'm confused, MT says worst of the winds in Galway\Mayo between 8pm and 10pm, others are saying between 2am and 3am, can someone clarify

It looks like windy in Galway from 8pm for quite a few hours, and then later in Mayo. If you have a look at the short range forecast from met.ie here:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

and use the Wind tab, it'll give you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect and when.

There will be 2 peak winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from Roundwood area in Wicklow?

Sleety rain at Hell Fire (280 m)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mace Hd got a gust of 97km/h in the 17.00 report, Valentia's highest gust of 86km/h in the 18.00 report

N6tO1AF.png

That last gust was worthy of Doris. Made me jump. West Connemara 400 ft asl

All three cats have insisted on going out which is very unusual in this weather. Maybe they know something I do not. :eek:

7pm. Mace head gusting 52 knots. Kinsale energy gusting 57 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Graces7 wrote: »
    That last gust was worthy of Doris. Made me jump. West Connemara 400 ft asl

All three cats have insisted on going out which is very unusual in this weather. Maybe they know something I do not. :eek:

Had u Guinness and curry chips last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

the situation is complex,in ireland that equates to, expect the dullest of weather,with an extreme gust thrown in somewhere,where somebodys shed roof has been blown off in bellmullet, the forecast has changed so many times,with regards winds,in the last 24 hours, south connaght,muster,south leinster,then wexford, back to munster and connaght and northwards,most exposed to see severe winds, altough if you read regional forcasts on met.ie this all changes again in contrast to national forcasts,its a quagmire,at this stage who knows,but unlikely to see anything noteworthy above yellow warnings,jaysus a bit of consistent detail would be good, this is where met eireann fails, please start stating % probabilities like the uk met office.

very blustery now in west connaught,i.e west mayo,Lights flickering,have had no curries or guiness in the last 2 days either,but there was a strange stinch when i opened boards earlier,hmmmmm.... maybe it will be a Dorris situation, or maybe iv had too much baileys. i also have a cat but it coudnt care less about the wind. *farts*

In what way has the forecast changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a puff of wind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Not a puff of wind here.

careful now, or you'll have the 'here' brigade after you.

• Advertisement

Gust of 74 km/h here near Tralee just now, big convective gusts and hail showers.

Advertisement