Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The 5 @ 5 6 @ 6 business is pure cringe, probably the idea of someone just out of college with a Morketing degree

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mark Lawrenson is the most sarcastic, know-it-all pundit out there. No harm at all in bringing him down a peg or two!

Dont forget Neil Francis - he definitely deserves that title too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dont forget Neil Francis - he definitely deserves that title too.

Ya, he definitely qualifies for that title too, but at least he is fairly knowledgeable on his subject matter. Lawrenson just relies on the same old tired cliches

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I like Neil Francis notwithstanding the extraordinary arrogance. In fact, I'd nearly say I like him because of the arrogance!

I love the way he starts every answer he gives with a hugely condescending, "mmmh yeah..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Francis isn't half as knowledgable as he thinks he is.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Neil Francis is exceptionally knowledgeable about rugby. Boards.ie users ime not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Neil Francis is exceptionally knowledgeable about rugby. Boards.ie users ime not so much.

How do you know what any boards.ie user knows about rugby? His articles are so often about rubbish random things that comes into his head. Case in point, he wrote an article last year saying that props should be limited in weight to 120kgs and back rows 110kgs (for example). No basis for it, no scientific research behind it, he just picked out arbitrary figures out of his arse. In 2013, he also linked Jonah Lomu's nephrotic syndrome to steroid use without any basis in fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

he didn't say steroid, he said creatine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Any one get that competition question
    I just missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

The 5 @ 5 6 @ 6 business is pure cringe, probably the idea of someone just out of college with a Morketing degree

I noticed that too. I think its terrible, and sounds like a regional youth station when they do that. What's next Todays five word weather ??
    News should not be interaction between the presenter and newsreader. Its sounds all scripted between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course its scripted, sure Matt has to start by asking about a news story, then she goes off and tells us about it.

Tacky beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

statto25 wrote: »
    This might be a rhetorical question but what the hell is Paul Kimmages problem. He was beyond rude to Mark Lawrenson there and kept referring to him as 'Expert'. Did they have a bit of a spat?

Who hasn't Kimmage fallen out with more like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Who hasn't Kimmage fallen out with more like?

That's what makes him such a compelling character. He'd start a row in an empty room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The 2 nitwits he has on this evening (and every Wednesday evening?) doing the TV review are incredibly irritating.
    Patrick Freane can't stop giggling like a little girl at every one of his own lame comments and his sidekick Jennifer (?) has the most generic marbles in her mouth D4 accent imaginable. So yeah, ummmm, loike...

That pair, along with squeaky Matt all on at once together is an instant channel changer. I had to switch over to Gareth on 4FM ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Who was the American woman debating with Fintan O'Toole the other night about Donald Trump.(I just want to know who she is so I can see what she looks like).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Who was the American woman debating with Fintan O'Toole the other night about Donald Trump.(I just want to know who she is so I can see what she looks like).

Mary Ellen Synon

Mary Ellen Synon

Thanks man.

Having read her wikipedia profile just now she sounds like a complete nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It went downhill about 1min into his introduction at 4:30pm, when he said "we have 2 competitions tonight".

Jez, I hate those radio competitions, and how often we have to have the details read out. And now we are going to have 2 every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Thanks man.

Having read her wikipedia profile just now she sounds like a complete nutter.

To be fair, she didn't sound particularly sane when talking on the radio the other evening. Surely it's possible to be a republican/conservative without slavishly following Donald Trump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

To be fair, she didn't sound particularly sane when talking on the radio the other evening. Surely it's possible to be a republican/conservative without slavishly following Donald Trump?

This week's flavour of the month.

I'm just glad that MaryLou McDonnell isn't the go-to guest any more.

• Advertisement

That's true but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because I'm not following the Trump situation that closely but after reading up on some of the rubbish she's spouted over the years I won't be paying any attention to her opinion ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Wish they'd get rid of Jennifer Gannon for the TV slot. If the show doesn't celebrate feminism, homosexuality or multiculturalism then it won't get the time of day. Not everything has to have some sort of social message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

How did Nick Webb get selected for the business slot. He can't make it through a sentence without an ahhh. I would say his podcast is blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i don't get the nick webb hate at all, i think he's grand. i like business news and he's got a bit of charisma to him. very strange accent though

I wouldn't say I "hate" Nick Webb, just find him unbelievably annoying on the radio. He's a decent journalist IMO (I read his pieces in the Sindo every so often, and his book "The Untouchables" wasn't bad) but that doesn't always translate to radio. His is a case of stick to print media I think!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »

Listened to 2 mins and then had to turn off but how the hell is it the number one podcast in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Wish they'd get rid of Jennifer Gannon for the TV slot. If the show doesn't celebrate feminism, homosexuality or multiculturalism then it won't get the time of day. Not everything has to have some sort of social message.

Agreed. I couldn't put my finger on what annoyed me about her selections and she always adds on a dopey reality show as a favourite too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Listened to 2 mins and then had to turn off but how the hell is it the number one podcast in Ireland??

Skewed statistics, it could mean the no 1 business and lifestyle podcast...it really means nothing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement