Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fences - Denzel Washington

Options
  • 20-02-2017 11:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭

On watching, the first question I had was about the use of the n word and whether this impacts certification. Well, apparently not as it's 12A. Haven't heard that much liberal usage of said word since The Wire, I guess.

Anyway, there's a near breathless early scene after the start that's packed with dialogue. A lot of dialogue. Pretty much what Mark Kermode said, all along you remember you're watching a play. It's the rhythm of the thing.

Washington (Troy), is a man firm in his boots. There's a religious element to the film and Troy is almost biblical in his demeanour and delivery. I heard the woman next to me tell her husband "he's a real martyr". I don't know the play, or the original text. Viola Davis is very good too. The scene that's in the trailer where she calls him out - the tension in the screening was palpable.

On the negative side, it is a little on the side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I saw Fences last night. Really enjoyed it but went with 2 girls from work who hated it! Huffed and puffed their way through the couple of hours. It is long, and a lot of it is dialogue back and forth - but it is a play so that explains that.

Fantastic performances from nearly all the cast I would say. The only one I didn't warm to much was Corey, their son. But overall an enjoyable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Loved it. 2hr 20 flies by.

Viola Davis's performance was scarily good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I had to stop this after an hour. I knew nothing of it before, besides it being nominated for Best Picture, starring and directed by Denzel Washington, and with it being 140 minutes, I thought it might be a bit of an epic film. It wasn't. It's just talking, talking, talking. No style or substance. It gave me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I really want to see this. Seem to be hearing mixed reviews though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had to stop this after an hour. I knew nothing of it before, besides it being nominated for Best Picture, starring and directed by Denzel Washington, and with it being 140 minutes, I thought it might be a bit of an epic film. It wasn't. It's just talking, talking, talking. No style or substance. It gave me a headache.

I came to that conclusion after about 15 minutes and turned it off, it is very obviously a play that has been filmed. If that's your thing then I'm sure you'll love it if the reviews are to be believed, but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I watched it, without knowing too much about it (obviously knowing who was in it).
    I was getting "Death of a Salesman" vibes off it and found the conversations similar to something you'd see on stage ... lo and behold it was on Broadway!! That was an "aaaah" moment!

Viola Davis is fantastic in it, supporting actress is a bit of a cop out though (she wanted this category herself apparently).

My only complaint is that I thought the actor playing the son was quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I enjoyed it a lot. Great performances by all and it had a really strong, touching ending.

I have to admit that I started looking at my watch about half way through, but it grabbed my interest again with that pivotal revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Really did enjoy Fences, but I can see how it's a love it or hate it type of film. I would agree with the above poster about the son, his character is never really developed. I am not sure whether that was the acting or how the character was written. Viola Davis was brilliant, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If anyone missed this is on TG4 tonight at 9.30pm

Advertisement