Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What!?! Does that make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Sorry typo (now corrected). Meant to say looks like an olive tree but it isn't, I think its a salvita. It can withstand very cold weather. Pretty in a pot, I got two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Guide to Greenhouse Salad Crops,

A 64 page guide for home gardeners by Teagasc,

Downloadable only (free)

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Greenhouse-Salad-Crops.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Homebase have a load of fruit and veg reduced, strips of runner beans, cauliflowers, broad beans, cabbage etc etc €2.05
    swiss chard, aubergine, sweetcorn, €1

peppers, chillis, you name it!. Some of my stuff was slug eaten so I just these to replace them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

jaffa20 wrote: »

I ordered the 3 bamboo, 70% off deal regularly offered on Groupon. Product arrived well packaged about 4-5 days later, before promised delivery date. Only used the service once but based on my experience I would order again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Homebase have a Qualcast 29.9cc brush cutter/strimmer for €132. Its €199 in Argos. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/qualcast---petrol-brush-cutter---299cc-131610

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Woodies have the large Water butt (210ltr) for €34.99

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/210lt-proplus-large-water-butt-kit/16652/11

Its actually cheaper than the 100ltr version...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Lidl selling bay trees in 4 inch(approx) pots for €4

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Just got two, they also have hammock swings for about €29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Tescos have pallets of large 2.5l growbags for 75 cent (were €3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Some Perennials half price in b and q. Probably around the country as they start to look less than their best. Got some hostas and agapanthus

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claroc

tringle wrote: »
    Just got two, they also have hammock swings for about 29
    Can you tell me who had the hammocks please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Claroc wrote: »
    Can you tell me who had the hammocks please?

Lidl but it was a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mr Middleton are doing a selection of 5 (random) David Austel roses for €50

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right thread but I'd be delighted if someone can help me. I have a box with 5 buxos plants for blocking out traffic views ( and also to enjoy looking out at ). They were put in 2 years ago, but there are gaps between them, as they didn't grow together as I'd thought they would. My question is this. Can I move them closer together and put in another plant to fill the gaps?
    And, if so, what is the best way to do it? The box is 7 feet wide and 2 feet deep. A friend suggested that I feed some Miraclegro to make them grow wider, any ideas? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right thread but I'd be delighted if someone can help me. I have a box with 5 buxos plants for blocking out traffic views ( and also to enjoy looking out at ). They were put in 2 years ago, but there are gaps between them, as they didn't grow together as I'd thought they would. My question is this. Can I move them closer together and put in another plant to fill the gaps?
    And, if so, what is the best way to do it? The box is 7 feet wide and 2 feet deep. A friend suggested that I feed some Miraclegro to make them grow wider, any ideas? Thanks.
    Yes , but do it asap, plants will be dormant now till it warms up in spring. Best way, prob take out plants individually, there wont be much roots, and place back into box at correct spacing. Might not be a bad idea to line the inside of box with membrane to prevent rot. I use damp proofing from builders providers.
    Hope this helps

Thanks rje. Good avice - I''ll follow it.

Sorry that should read " advice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lild have a cold frame for 35 euro and a "crouch-in" poly-house for 45 euro. I bought the cold frame, both could be a cheap propagation home.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=1013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Lidl are selling a "hobby greenhouse" http://www.lidl.ie/en/plantsandflowers.htm?action=showDetail&id=51991

I'm new to gardening - would this be useful to put over a bed to start off veg and flower seeds early?

okedoke wrote: »
    Lidl are selling a "hobby greenhouse" http://www.lidl.ie/en/plantsandflowers.htm?action=showDetail&id=51991

I'm new to gardening - would this be useful to put over a bed to start off veg and flower seeds early?

Unless both sides roll up it would be a hindrance. The free standing ones hold the heat a lot better. Have had mine 3+ years now similar price in homebase/woodies.

Haven't taken mine down in 3 years also have it pinned to a wall with masonry nails and cable ties pretty sturdy.

The one above would be useful for cabbage and the likes to keep the butterflies away.

You would need to start them off indoors early (around now) in a small propagator and harden off (few hours outside a day increasing their tolerance to the different climate of 20° indoors) then plant out around march after frost.

Depends on what you are growing though.

Propagator I use:

propagator-principle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

Hi, anyone can suggest the best place for buying a shed please?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

lunamia wrote: »
    Hi, anyone can suggest the best place for buying a shed please?

Cheers

where are you based?

If it's south dublin then Timbertrove are good.

If its wicklow then there are a few,

depends where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Aldi have bareroot perennials and summer bulbs for 1.29euro at the moment. I think lidl have some on offer from next thursday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

where are you based?

If it's south dublin then Timbertrove are good.

If its wicklow then there are a few,

depends where you are

Hi, thanks for replying, I'm based in North Dublin, Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

lunamia wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for replying, I'm based in North Dublin, Dublin 15.

Ah yeah they'd definitely go out that far. Timbertove are the ones to go for, they did a shed and fences for us when we lived in Dublin, very good.

Heres the website:

http://www.timbertrove.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure if this is correct place, I am looking to order circa 250 beech trees to plant. I was looking at 90-120cm high

Anyone have any recommendations on where to order? Thanks

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure if this is correct place, I am looking to order circa 250 beech trees to plant. I was looking at 90-120cm high

Anyone have any recommendations on where to order? Thanks

There's a forestry forum might be your best bet to get a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

https://www.aldi.ie/gardenline-hardwood-mini-greenhouse/p/075012127048600

Any thoughts on this for starting off / hardening off veg and flower seeds

Is it big enough not to overheat quickly ?

Advertisement