Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

starting a whiskey collection

• 25-02-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello.

I'm new to whiskeys of the finer nature and have started picking up a few bottles.

I have picked up a bottle of paddy's centenary and two jameson 12 year olds! A bottle that caught my eye was dingle single malt first cask for €120 and wanted to know if this was a bottle worth having for this price since it's supposed to be one of the first Irish whiskeys produced outside the 3 large distilleries of Ireland.

Also any suggestions on other whiskeys worth keeping an eye out for would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just starting my own collection so will follow this :)

Must try find some Jameson 12 before it completey disappears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Guys suggest a few that you like and plenty of knowledgeable folk here will suggest items

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Hello.

Well I'm working on one of the jameson 12 yo 's presently but I also have some of a bottle of caskmates left and I will admit that it is my favourite.

I drank and enjoyed yellow spot before and have a real soft spot for Laphroaig 10 yo also!

I can't drink jack Daniels at all, I just don't like it but haven't tried any other bourbons so I can't say if it's just jack or bourbon that I don't like.

Cheers again for any guidance!

gr8 m8 wrote: »
    Hello.

Well I'm working on one of the jameson 12 yo 's presently but I also have some of a bottle of caskmates left and I will admit that it is my favourite.

I drank and enjoyed yellow spot before and have a real soft spot for Laphroaig 10 yo also!

I can't drink jack Daniels at all, I just don't like it but haven't tried any other bourbons so I can't say if it's just jack or bourbon that I don't like.

Cheers again for any guidance!

Ok mate here's my pretty novice input

If you like the Jameson's try a few more Irish. So redbreast, green spot, yellow spot and the feelings range are all good. Any of them are worth spending on. If you can afford a midleton rare at €150 is worth it for a very special occcassion (never had it myself but the more experienced guys love it) I e no tried powers collections to show Eal on them.

To start on the Scottish ones I was told try speysides. Cardhu at €45 is worth a shot and then try aberlour as well. I'm also nursing a bottle of Auchentoshan Springwood right now well worth it if you can find it.

Bourbon I've not gotten not yet. So I've no ideas here. Think the Woodford and markers mark are good ones from the guys on here. But with bourbon buy it, try it and if not good use it in cocktails

I'm fairly new so not a great guide but my collection is as follows

Irish
    Jameson black barrel * 2
    Green spot
    Yellow spot
    Redbreast 12
    Teelings small batch

Scotch
    Teachers just for hot toddies and coffee fir my dad
    Aberlour 10
    Auchentoshan spring wood
    Auchentoshan American oak
    Glenfiddich 15 Solera
    Aberfeldy 12
    Laphroaig 12
    Jura
    Jura superstition
    Old Putney

Japanese
    Nikka Taketsuru malt

American
    Jim beam
    Jim beam maple

Hope that helps

For me I like the Irish stuff, have a lot of different Jameson's, Green Spot and Yellow Spot, Midleton, Redbreast 12, and some Powers.
    Picked up a bottle of Teeling single malt during the week and am sampling that tonight, so far so good :)
    I do tend to like the sherry cask influences.

On the scotch side my first one was a Jura 16, which is quite heavy tasting and have a Balvenie 16 Year Old Triple Cask which i really like. Suggestions on that trend would be welcome

• Advertisement

Hello.

The connemara whiskey range sounds like they could be nice and not unlike some of the smokey scotches! Although I could be way off the mark there but that's next on the list.

Anyone care to recommend one to try first?

And I forgot to mention it but I was in a pub on Thursday evening and tried a whiskey from the tipperary distillery, it was their 11 yo called the rising and liked it.is would describe it as smooth going down but don't really have the lingo or vocabulary to expand on that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It all depends on what your motivation for collecting is, I suppose. And how much you want to spend.

It could be for investment, for fun, because you have an interest in a particular brand, because you want a library of whiskies that might not be around in the future...

If you like Irish, I would recommend going for first releases from the emerging distilleries. There will be lots of them in the next few years.

Then there are ones being discontinued... like Jameson 12, Jameson Gold, Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve.

There are also once off single casks from Midleton and Powers, Teeling, Tullamore, Paddy...

If you like Scotch (a broad term, I know), there are lots of limited editions and closed distilleries you could collect. Littlemill, Imperial and Caperdonich are still 'somewhat' affordable. Springbank and Kilkerren do great limited editions, as do Arran.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you're interested in bourbons, as already mentioned Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark are both good starting points and are available easily enough in this country. Others worth trying if you can get your hands on them would be Knob Creek, Bookers, Eagle Rare and Basil Hayden's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

As mentioned, look at your motivation behind starting the collection.

Do you want a bar/stock of great whiskeys you can tuck into, make cocktails from, etc? Or do you want to buy rarer whiskeys and potentially sell them, swap them, etc. Or someplace in between? I'd recommend if you're buying something on the more exclusive side, try buy two - You can drink one and see what happens with the other. Regardless, there's no 'wrong' way. Just make sure you enjoy it.

Firstly I'd recommend finding out where your tastes lay. See if there's anywhere nearby that you can do a (good, non biased!) whiskey tasting. Distilleries are always going to want to sell their own, but can be good to see what you like from their own stables. Educate yourself in what styles you're into, what casks you like, etc.

On the Irish whiskey, Yellow & Green Spot are great. Writers Tears is a lovely whiskey for a good price. Better still if you can get it from the Duty Free, I think it runs at €22? The Redbreast collection is fantastic. Kilbeggan isn't great. I haven't been sold on anything from Dingle - I find everything they've put out to be a bit harsh. I got a bottle of Teeling's 21 year old - I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the brand, but their head distiller is an incredibly talented guy. Really lovely stuff. I find both the new Jameson Coopers Croze, etc. and the Midleton's to be a little bit overpriced, but that doesn't mean they're not good.

If you're going American, I'd definitely recommend seeking out good rye's. They're not as easy to get in Ireland, but worth seeking out. Personally, I wouldn't be a huge fan of JD, JB, Woodford or Makers Mark (MM being the best of the bunch). Not great whiskey's to start with, nevermind the price points here in Ireland. Have a look at Whistlepig, Bully, Slaughterhouse and Four Roses for some good American whiskey. Especially if you know someone going over and back to the US.

I'm afraid I'm of no real use when it comes to peated whisky. If you're in Dublin, L.Mulligan Grocer has a ferocious selection of whisky, though. And some staff members (Inc one of the owners) has a great knowledge of them.

Hello.

Thank you for all your replies and information.

I suppose I'm looking to slot into the middle category of drinking and also maybe hanging on to a few of the nicer ones for an occasion but I never thought that there was such a culture to collecting and dealing with whiskey behind just seeing a fancy bottle on the off licence shelf!

I have hundreds of questions. I still have my eye on that bottle of dingle whiskey but only because it seems to me to be a little bit of Irish history in the making which appeals to me.

Otherwise I saw a bottle of jameson 18yo in a metal display tube while I have only ever spotted them in the green boxes before. Is there a difference in these bottles or was it just a limited edition box they released it in?

I will admit I am fascinated by this new world and am enjoying it immensely as there is just such a vast amount of information out there!

• Advertisement

Jameson 18 is made in batches, so each one will be a little different to another. The price is also about to leap. I think they may have been about to park the 18 but it got a reprieve.

Incidentally, the Bushmills 16 and 21 are also about to jump in price.

The Teeling 21s are very good, and also put together in batches. It was actually double distilled in Bushmills and contains some crystal malt. Also a little bit of peat... It was sold to John Teeling when he owned Cooley. You can find a lot of this stock independetly bottled. Look out for Irish whiskey distilled between 1988 and 1991... It is great whiskey and sells out very quickly. Like this one... https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/that-boutiquey-whisky-company/irish-single-malt-1-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whiskey/

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is well worth investigating. They have a good few limited editions. And a good selection of GlenDronachs, which are very collectable these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will find older Jameson 18s at normal prices in the most random places in Ireland due to Jameson's standing and the fact that it's non-perishable. Got a 2005 for €88 in Omni Park Tesco some months ago which was kept for my birthday (having been 18 in 2005....) and my local newsagent has a few bottles of 2004 for €110 which I intend to buy up at some point in the future... That €110 was rather dear when he put them on sale but its not now!

The packaging does not state the year of bottling, but there is a code on the sleeve and bottle; at least on older ones, JJ18-1 counting from 2002 up, so my 2005 was JJ18-4 and unnamed newsagents has JJ18-3. The name has changed a few times also but it always has the 18 on it.

Brockagh wrote: »
    Jameson 18 is made in batches, so each one will be a little different to another. The price is also about to leap. I think they may have been about to park the 18 but it got a reprieve.
    L1011 wrote: »
    You will find older Jameson 18s at normal prices in the most random places in Ireland due to Jameson's standing and the fact that it's non-perishable. Got a 2005 for €88 in Omni Park Tesco some months ago which was kept for my birthday (having been 18 in 2005....) and my local newsagent has a few bottles of 2004 for €110 which I intend to buy up at some point in the future... That €110 was rather dear when he put them on sale but its not now!

The packaging does not state the year of bottling, but there is a code on the sleeve and bottle; at least on older ones, JJ18-1 counting from 2002 up, so my 2005 was JJ18-4 and unnamed newsagents has JJ18-3. The name has changed a few times also but it always has the 18 on it.

Interesting points - will add some 18 yo to my collection
    All seem to be about the 135 mark now in local places

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Interesting points - will add some 18 yo to my collection
    All seem to be about the 135 mark now in local places

If you happen to have a reason to travel to GB with Irish Ferries, you can pick up Jameson 18 on board for less than €100. All the Irish whiskey they have for sale on board is substantially cheaper than in the shops here.

As for Scotch, a trip to GB or NI would nearly pay for itself if you pick up a few bottles. You can regularly get Laphroaig 10, Tallisker 10 or Highland Park 12 for as little as £25 in the likes of Tesco or ASDA.

Quackster wrote: »
    As for Scotch, a trip to GB or NI would nearly pay for itself if you pick up a few bottles. You can regularly get Laphroaig 10, Tallisker 10 or Highland Park 12 for as little as £25 in the likes of Tesco or ASDA.

+1 on this. I get all my whisky in the north, significant savings on offer up there. Selection of scotch also a lot wider than here.

In the north i've picked up
    Aberlour
    Aberfeldy
    Auchentoshan
    Gledfiddich 15
    Old Pultney
    Jura

None of which you can get in the multiples here and rarely can be got in off licences and when you do the price would be 40% dearer when converted.

I got redbreast for £32/33 GBP (€40), €60+ in Ireland

Hello.

Once again, thank you for all the replies and information. I picked up a bottle of bushmills 16 year old for €60 in a super market is just happened to be in. I haven't opened it yet but was amazed by how few there are around! Apparently it's being discontinued?

I opened a bottle of red breast and it's only beautiful so thank you for three recommendation.

I think I'm going to stick to and play around with the Irish whiskeys for now because I am just loosing the run of myself with the variety that is out there.

I saw a bottle of teelings revival 15 year old also but it was very expensive. It was nice to look at and a part of me thought it wouldlook equally out of place and quite fetching on the dresser beside the tk red lemonade! Any thoughts about this whiskey as a focal point as maybe something to aspire to?

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

The Bushmills 16 isn't being discontinued, but it is made in batches and has been very hard to find recently, until the next batch is released. I also think you got yours for a great price. I think the next batch will be a good bit more expensive...

Hello.

Haven't checked in for a while. How's everyone doing?

So I was in Galway town last weekend and my god its like whiskey paradise over there! Tried some whiskeys around some of the bars and also stumbled into a fancy food shop that offered tastings of the whiskey they were selling and they had a great selection. I even got to try the jameson 18 yo (for free ),bought a bottle of teelings single grain that I much preferred over the teelings single malt.

So if jameson 18 is going through a reprieve then why would it jump in price? Also would we be talking about a major jump or something manageable since I don't really have the price of a bottle presently but will be made if it jumped to two hundred euros or something and I missed my chance.

Cheers.

gr8 m8 wrote: »
    Hello.

Haven't checked in for a while. How's everyone doing?

So I was in Galway town last weekend and my god its like whiskey paradise over there! Tried some whiskeys around some of the bars and also stumbled into a fancy food shop that offered tastings of the whiskey they were selling and they had a great selection. I even got to try the jameson 18 yo (for free ),bought a bottle of teelings single grain that I much preferred over the teelings single malt.

So if jameson 18 is going through a reprieve then why would it jump in price? Also would we be talking about a major jump or something manageable since I don't really have the price of a bottle presently but will be made if it jumped to two hundred euros or something and I missed my chance.

Cheers.

My guess is because there is pressure on their aged stock and higher demand.

By the way, the Teeling 24 us on sale at O'Briens at the moment. 265 euro. Expensive still but it is a great whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Grey Whiskey

Read your recent post. I have been putting a few bottles a year away for about 6 years. mainly Middleton Very Rare, I picked up a few Dingle a couple of months ago but not the Cask Strength.
    Q. Would you be interested in swapping the Dingle C S for a Middleton V R 2013, or one of the 46% Dingle in part exchange?
    Regardless, happy tasting and collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Came across this new channel dedicated to whiskey drinking. The two guys know their stuff. Well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCElm866_W5r1eg8VjhFNARw

Advertisement