Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charge point install - help please!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

liamog wrote: »
    That's my thinking, I'd rather set the proper precedent here.

It will be interesting when the EU regs come in that require EV Charging for all new builds and refurbs.

Could you talk to the MC about the tax benefits of installing one?
    Surely there has to be a good news story for them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

FYI:
    had the day night meter installed yesterday and I have now a Safety letter from the ESB re the above.
    Its just a warning but the impact is as follows, if I follow the lad that was here:
    I need a RECI to come and install an earth wire on the distribution board that the ESB will then come and connect into the ESB box that contains the fuse: at a cost of €198.00 to me to pay the ESB, as well as the RECI!.

If the wire had been there yesterday I gather he would have connected it as part of the new meter install.

The is more on Installation not Neutralised over in the Elec Forum

This one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65945900
    is the one applicable to my 1968 build house.

I have asked over there what the process/sequence is.
    The moral of the post is that perhaps have it checked before you call the lad to install the day/night yoke.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    Why €120 for upgraded 32A cable.... the difference should be negligible particularly if you are going for a short run, wall mounted option.

€120 sounds ridiculous.

They are still keeping that up. I'm inclined to say fook that, just give me the free standard 16A installation. I don't need home 7.2kWh charging. And if I change my mind, I'll pay for it myself.

What would you guys do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    They are still keeping that up. I'm inclined to say fook that, just give me the free standard 16A installation. I don't need home 7.2kWh charging. And if I change my mind, I'll pay for it myself.

What would you guys do?

How are they actually justifying the €120. Did they break it down for you?

I would run the cable myself, particularly in your case, where its a simple 2-3m run.

Then when they come onsite tell them put in their 16A free install using that cable.

I think you would be mad not to give yourself 7kW capability when the car has it and you dont have an electric shower... dont go off on a shower tangent again! :)

I foresee problems and them having an excuse about me not doing the cable right. The run is extremely simple, along the wall of my hallway, about 2-3m. But through my outside wall. If I decide to upgrade the unit, I need a sparks to connect it up anyway, I doubt he'll charge me more than maybe 50 extra to change the cable too. And I begrudge giving a chancer money :D

• Advertisement

I foresee problems and them having an excuse about me not doing the cable right. The run is extremely simple, along the wall of my hallway, about 2-3m. But through my outside wall. If I decide to upgrade the unit, I need a sparks to connect it up anyway, I doubt he'll charge me more than maybe 50 extra to change the cable too. And I begrudge giving a chancer money :D

To cover that, I would provide the cable. You dont have to drill the wall or tack the cable to it. Just provide the cable.

The labour to put in the cable is the same for 16A and 32A so they cant charge you extra for that.

KCross wrote: »
    To cover that, I would provide the cable.

I offered to do that, but he was making all sorts of excused why that wouldn't work, needed different ducting etc. Smelled like porky pies to me.

I think I will contact ESB ecars about this after the installation. They probably have no idea this kind of rip off business is going on, on their behalf.

I offered to do that, but he was making all sorts of excused why that wouldn't work, needed different ducting etc. Smelled like porky pies to me.

I think I will contact ESB ecars about this after the installation. They probably have no idea this kind of rip off business is going on, on their behalf.

100% porkies. Even if it were remotely true it wouldnt be €120's worth of true! How much is 3m of ducting!?

I'd be looking for another contractor. He is trying to ride you!

There's no outdoors ducting needed (afaik). Would indoors ducting be required from a regulation point of view? If not, where can I buy the cable (in a shop) for reasonable money and what exactly am I looking for? 6mm2 something or other? Might as well have a few meters lying around here when he comes.

There's no outdoors ducting needed (afaik). Would indoors ducting be required from a regulation point of view? If not, where can I buy the cable (in a shop) for reasonable money and what exactly am I looking for? 6mm2 something or other? Might as well have a few meters lying around here when he comes.

see post #43

You wont require ducting outside if the cable comes out the wall and directly into the back of the EVSE (i.e. none of it exposed). If it has to run up or down the outside wall to the EVSE then it will have to be in a duct but, again, the duct would be the same for 16A/32A cable so no extra cost involved.

• Advertisement

And presumably inside ducting is not needed at all in the regulations? (It is needed from an aesthetic point of view obviously, but I can do that myself afterwards)

And presumably inside ducting is not needed at all in the regulations? (It is needed from an aesthetic point of view obviously, but I can do that myself afterwards)

That is my understanding but the health warning is that Im not a RECI.

My cable runs from the CU across an attic space without any ducting but where it appears on the outside wall there is a duct running down the wall to the EVSE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just bought 11m of 6sq armoured cable from the local Electric 'wholesaler' for €31, that figure you quoted is la la land

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Out of interest, does anyone know if you use armoured cable on the outside wall of your house, does it still need ducting? I'm trying to cover all angles here, with the ideal outcome that I buy the 32A cable and force the contractor to install it for me (instead of using his own 16A cable) without charging me extra.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No way am I using ducting, armoured stuff is very very tough, hint is in the name SWA (Steel Wired Armoured)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

From the subcontractor. I'll question him about it if that's what he is going to quote me. And that's for the unit being only about 2-3m away from the customer unit (fusebox) in my house.

Thanks for the heads-up!

A few of us going bald quicker because of that guy.

Did he break down the quote as he's taking the p1ss if it's just for 32a cable.

Nope didn't break it down. He waffled something about more expensive ducting needed. And when I put it to him that 6mm2 cable is maybe €1 or €2 per meter more than 4mm2 cable and that he only needed 3m, he waffled more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No need for ducting on SWA outside. If it 's going underground use the red ducting with hockey sticks. Also use the warning tape over it.

Maybe he should be called out on the forum to warn other users of his price gouging? Is that within forum rules?

The point is not installed yet, so let's wait for that first. But I will certainly approach ESB ecars and let them know what their contractor is up to. Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing, but from what I can see now it verges on rip-off / monopolistic behaviour. Will keep this thread updated :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry to jump on thread, anyone have a picture of what the charge point looks like? thanks

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on thread, anyone have a picture of what the charge point looks like? thanks

Follow the link in post #14

You need to get it in writing with a breakdown of what it's for. Otherwise it's really just hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The point is not installed yet, so let's wait for that first. But I will certainly approach ESB ecars and let them know what their contractor is up to. Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing, but from what I can see now it verges on rip-off / monopolistic behaviour. Will keep this thread updated :)

He's robbing you plain and simple.

He's getting paid by the ESB and making money on top of that from you.

He's literally trading pony's and your buying.

Ducting is horse pony there is no internal ducting on a house that costs that. He's not pipe bending you'll end up with some sticky trunking. Joker trying to make money on top of the callout. In about out in under an hour.

listermint wrote: »

Ducting is horse pony there is no internal ducting on a house that costs that. He's not pipe bending you'll end up with some sticky trunking. Joker trying to make money on top of the callout. In about out in under an hour.

What?

Can you simply ask eCars to send out a different contractor for a quote on the basis that you were not happy with the 1st one?

I presume they have a long list of contractors they use.

Good point, KCross. I'll contact them Monday, see what they say.

What's the initials of this contractor ?

What's the initials of this contractor ?

There is only one!

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    There is only one!

What do you mean? There's surely more than one contractor for the entire country?

Advertisement