Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Being into classics, but not owning one

Options
  • 22-02-2017 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Heya folks,

I've been interested in classic cars for years and I'm looking for a way to turn that interest into a hobby. I once bought a Morris Minor to mess with but for lack of a garage to store it in I had to sell it on.

I was wondering if there are ways to get involved in classic car clubs, possibly even restorations without actually owning a classic car or maybe even renting out a space to store a car and then play around with it from there.

From what I can tell you need to own your classic to be involved in the classic car community.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

http://menssheds.ie/
    The gorey men's shed restored a Honda 50 a couple of years ago, don't know what they've been at lately or what they're at in you're area but it would be a good way to start.
    I don't have a shed and there is no doubt it is a hindrance but I was lucky enough to find a space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Scráib wrote: »
    From what I can tell you need to own your classic to be involved in the classic car community.
    Not quite sure what "involved" means here.

You don't need a car to go to shows, meets etc. Online, anyone can appreciate classics, or talk cars whether they have one or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm sure you could join a club without owning a classic. You could volunteer to do marshaling on rallies or runs.

Most people who own an old car started out going to shows and sales etc. weighing things up before taking the plunge.

A garage is really helpful to keep the car in good nick as well as have a space to work.

Would you consider a vintage motorcycle to get you going? They take up less space, generally cheaper to buy and can be taken to shows by trailer. There are some nice ones on Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Wha???
    Since when do you need to own a Classic car to be qualified at talking sh1te about old cars.

I dont currently posses a classic car, I have owned many in my time, but right now all i have is a Tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

elperello wrote: »
    I'm sure you could join a club without owning a classic. You could volunteer to do marshaling on rallies or runs.

This is what I was going to suggest.. a good way to 'get involved' in the classic scene.

A few clubs even have their own workshops.
    I recall reading about a club in Athlone(?) who have their own workshop. Helping out in a workshop would be a good way to get to know about classics by talking to owners..and by getting your hands dirty helping them out.

The Irish Military Vehicle club also have a workshop in Co. Kildare.

Another possibility is helping out at the National Transport Museum workshop in Howth...though they mostly work on classic and vintage commercial vehicles (e.g. buses, trucks, ex-military vehicles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Any classic club I've ever looked into are happy to take on new members with no cars. It's nice to have people take an interest who might one day buy and maintain an old interesting car.
    Plus, they arent going to turn down your 25/30 quid!

Advertisement