Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to bees.first step.

Options
  • 17-02-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi.been wanting to get a hive going for a long time and want to finally take the step.whats the best way to go about it.just get a hive and learn as you go?or try do a course and get some experience.theres aguy in my local village that has a good few hives that may be willing to advise me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Inchilad wrote: »
    Hi.been wanting to get a hive going for a long time and want to finally take the step.whats the best way to go about it.just get a hive and learn as you go?or try do a course and get some experience.theres aguy in my local village that has a good few hives that may be willing to advise me.

Definitely take a course first.
    Contact your local beekeeping club and find out if they run one. Join it either way they will give you loads of advice and will know people selling bees and equipment to get you started. The guy in your village, ask him if you could help out sometime for experience, nothing like a bit of hands-on for you and an extra pair is appreciated by most beekeepers.
    Begin with two hives if you can.

Good luck, i know you'll enoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Satriale wrote:
    Definitely take a course first. Contact your local beekeeping club and find out if they run one. Join it either way they will give you loads of advice and will know people selling bees and equipment to get you started. The guy in your village, ask him if you could help out sometime for experience, nothing like a bit of hands-on for you and an extra pair is appreciated by most beekeepers. Begin with two hives if you can.

Satriale wrote:
    Good luck, i know you'll enoy it!

Thanks.ill keep an eye out for a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The courses are all starting around now. I started mine two weeks ago. I actually don't know how anyone would succeed without doing one. There is SO much information. I have wanted to get hives for years but really decided last summer. I was really annoyed that the courses didn't start until now so I spent my time reading books, signing up to all the Facebook pages and watching Youtube videos. It is facinating and there is so much to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Find an association close to you - they're listed here, and do their beginners course. Attend their meetings, talk to the beekeepers there, basically learn, learn, learn. The problem with just jumping in is that you won't have a clue about controlling swarming and all the other details, especially about varroa - how to count and how to treat and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

meath beginners course starts tomorrow night, check out royal county beekeepers on the FIBKA website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

meath beginners course starts tomorrow night, check out royal county beekeepers on the FIBKA website

Thanks.down in west cork so bit far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Advertisement