Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super League and all things European Rugby League 2017.

• 02-01-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not sure there'll be much interest in League from this hemisphere but still might be odd game that grabs attention.

Looking forward to seeing how a Canadian team gets on against English and French teams this year, and how the experiment goes. Hope it works, and gives the idea of expanding the game further afield a boost.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bradford Bulls have been liquidated, great shame one of the former giants of the English game has gone but they've been a basket case for years.

Could be a blessing, maybe a phoenix club with no debt, small ground etc. Not a big pyramid to climb in League and dare say the RFL will fast track a Bradford team into the league anyway.

Edit: in fact RFL have said they have place for any club in Bradford but must start with points deduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Bradford Bulls have been liquidated, great shame one of the former giants of the English game has gone but they've been a basket case for years.

Could be a blessing, maybe a phoenix club with no debt, small ground etc. Not a big pyramid to climb in League and dare say the RFL will fast track a Bradford team into the league anyway.

Edit: in fact RFL have said they have place for any club in Bradford but must start with points deduction.

Shame alright, Bulls were a traditional team. Fickle nature of sport, I expect to see a lot of football clubs to go bust across channel in the not too distant future. TV money dilutes everything, but mainly the working class support base.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Shame alright, Bulls were a traditional team. Fickle nature of sport, I expect to see a lot of football clubs to go bust across channel in the not too distant future. TV money dilutes everything, but mainly the working class support base.

Absolutely agree, right through the divisions in football. think rufby league in UK and France is still working class though, even in the super league era but lot of clubs on dodgy ground financially. Kept going by good faith of few reasonably well off people.

I know the Broncos in Championship would be a goner otherwise, incidentally they tried with the Harlequins experiment to go for middle class market but that never went well.

They should be aiming for soccer fans who've been priced out of that game, as well as retaining their expat fans from down under or up t'north. :)

Championship and National League kicks off today, proper Rugby is back.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

proper Rugby is back.
    Better delete that before the forum mod sees it:pac:

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Better delete that before the forum mod sees it:pac:

Safe enough for another 4 or 5 months I'd say. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rightwing wrote: »
    Safe enough for another 4 or 5 months I'd say. ;)
    Once he sees you're posting he'll be over here like a flash:pac:

Once he sees you're posting he'll be over here like a flash:pac:

:):)

Beasty is right.....get rid of the evidence!!

I like Johnny Vegas and I like Rugby League, so presumably I'll like this video launching Super League this year.

Erm. No. It's a pretty naff video tbh. Ah well never mind.

St. Helens v Leeds kicks off the season tonight on Sky Sports, Sky have been in full hype mode for a couple of days, which is nice, they don't normally bother, but I think now with BT etc they have to work harder to suggest how good value their sports packages are (without the yawnion coverage they used to have).

• Advertisement

High scoring affair for first half of first game of the new season.

Leeds lead St Helens 4 massive points to nil.

Already increased that by 150% and there's ages left.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not a great opener. Defences dominant.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Sky have Castleford v Leigh tonight, it should be a bigger scoring game with less impressive defences on show. Now look forward to a 2 all draw. Work means I'll miss the first half anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Going to my first game tonight widnes v Huddersfield. Have always enjoyed watching the game so now that I live 5 mins away from stafium and get free tickets it seemed like a good time to start taking more interest :)

Going to my first game tonight widnes v Huddersfield. Have always enjoyed watching the game so now that I live 5 mins away from stafium and get free tickets it seemed like a good time to start taking more interest :)

Let us know what you think of it, hope you had a good evening. Not a great score if you're a Vikings fan though.

Let us know what you think of it, hope you had a good evening. Not a great score if you're a Vikings fan though.

Terrible display by the vikings no team cohesion at all but really enjoying the game one the less

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I caught highlights of Castleford's 44-16 win over Leigh. A few days back I read a lot of people tipping Castleford to have a good season and they played some very good stuff. They let in a few tries late on but the match was already won, plus it is the first game of the season. I'm keen to see how they get on against tougher opposition.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Great win for Catalans today over a lot of people's tip to win the whole thing Warrington. Hopefully they'll be consistent enough this season to get amongst the familiar names when the silverware is up for grabs at the business end of year.

Broncos gave Hull KR a run for their money in first game of Championship season. 22-28 to KR at The Trail finders Stadium. Bit of Super League class to see out the game.

• Advertisement

World Club Challenge this weekend.

On Saturday Warrington play Brisbane then on Sunday Wigan play Cronulla.

Would be great if Super League could register at least one win, I'd actually almost want Wigan to win on Sunday. Can't see anything but NRL whitewash as usual though, and that'll probably be the competition put out of its misery.

Leigh v Leeds on telly now, first full game I'm getting to see, though the smoke from the fireworks means can't see the middle of the pitch particularly well!

Have scored free tickets to Warrington v Brisbane tomorrow, have to explain to herself now that our dinner date is off :D

Have scored free tickets to Warrington v Brisbane tomorrow, have to explain to herself now that our dinner date is off :D

Bringing her to Warrington instead? :) What could be more romantic.

Warrington - the new town where they saw all the mistakes they made with Milton Keynes and didn't learn from any of them.....

Warrington - the new town where they saw all the mistakes they made with Milton Keynes and didn't learn from any of them.....

Never been fortune enough to go to Warrington! Milton Keynes I sadly know too well.

At least Warrington is not built on a grid basis. It had the UK's first IKEA which probably kick-started the obsession with out of town shopping within the UK

My views are a little tainted as my last visit there was at the pleasure of Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs...

Never been fortune enough to go to Warrington! Milton Keynes I sadly know too well.
    Cobblers!!!

Oops - sorry - that's the other side of the M1

My first visit to MK was back in 1983 to see Bowie at the Bowl. Hitched down to the M1 junction then walked into the town, and ended up sleeping in a field ahead of the concert the next day

After that was down quite regularly after the company I worked for bought Argos in the late 90s

Leigh a bit unlucky tonight.

• Advertisement

Leigh a bit unlucky tonight.

Started well but Leeds professionalism showed through, some.scary moments in last 15 minutes for them but defensively they played very well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement