Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Kane Salmon Syntax

Sorry I forgot to say we think she's allergic to eggs too so they're also out. This is probably a silly question but can you give regular porridge (ie flahavans etc) to a baby that young? All of the baby cereals I've found and also alot of the regular ones like Ready Brek have milk products in them. I'll definitely try the jam on toast but I'm not looking forward to the sticky purply mess afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think I gave the baby porridge for the first month or 2 then switched to ready brek.

Are you on the blw ireland facebook page? Lots of people with allergy babies on there and I've seen loads of ideas and advice given!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

I've been giving Flahavans to my fella since 6 months. I give it a quick wizz in the blender to make it a bit finer powder. He is 7 months now and eats in as it comes, not blended anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Kane Salmon Syntax

I think I gave the baby porridge for the first month or 2 then switched to ready brek.

Are you on the blw ireland facebook page? Lots of people with allergy babies on there and I've seen loads of ideas and advice given!

That facebook page is brilliant thanks! I must have a proper nosey up through it. I'm in the blw uk facebook group since last month but I find the posters can be a bit judgemental on it but that Irish one looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

hi all, just wanted some suggestions for a more varied diet for my 23 month old boy , he eats most veg, dinners tend to be well mashed as he gags on lots of foods and will keep stuffing food in before he has swallowed the previous spoonful, choking and giving me mini heart attacks.
    eggs are not his thing , I think it's the texture that he doesn't fancy.
    l try to avoid processed foods and get him to eat the same as ourselves even though our diet has become quite samey , things are busier now with a 3 week old baby to look after , so dinner has become simple like stews and casseroles which are handy but I have to get him used to more solid and chewy foods.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hey everyone, our daughter is 7 months and has been on solids since for about a month now.

I have read in most places that their milk intake would reduce as they start eating solids, but this is not the case at all with our little one - she is drinking as much milk as ever and showing no signs of slowing down.

Typical day might look like this:

Wake-up - 200ml bottle
    Breakfast - mashed banana or avocado
    Mid-morning - 200ml bottle
    Lunch - 200ml bottle and chicken cassarole
    Afternoon - 200ml bottle
    Dinner - Bolognese
    Before Bed - 200ml bottle

So she is still drinking 1000ml per day (as she has been for the last 3 months).

Should we cut out one whole bottle, or just let her continue as she is?

Don't want to overfeed her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Her bottles are more important to her nutritionally until she's one.
    Always offer her her bottle first & solids maybe an hour or so later.
    Food at her age is more about learning than nutrition as she will be getting everything she needs from her bottles.
    Also you can't over feed a baby, if they aren't hungry they won't eat, there is alot of growing going on at her age & she'll need fuel for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Hi..we've just started BLW..she's not over enthusiastic but getting better! Problem is she's destroying her clothes during mealtimes..no big deal reall but just wondering if anybody can recommend a good bib or cape-like thing with sleeves?! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Teeley wrote:
    Hi..we've just started BLW..she's not over enthusiastic but getting better! Problem is she's destroying her clothes during mealtimes..no big deal reall but just wondering if anybody can recommend a good bib or cape-like thing with sleeves?! Thanks.

IKEA do great bibs that should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Teeley wrote: »

Second the IKEA long sleeve bibs. They're great. I've had mine for 5 months now scd they're still perfect. They're in and out of the wash on a daily basis!

• Advertisement

Dealz have apron/bibs for €1.49.
    Got some when my daughter was 6 months old, she will still use them with something messy food & she's nearly 2 so they've stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi, any suggestions for BLW lunch for an 8 month old at nursery? They won't reheat food, so looking for cold options.
    For breakfast its usually one of these, porridge/eggy bread/banana toast/banana pancake etc... and dinner he usually has what we are having. I am rubbish at lunch, usually have a sambo myself. Most things I look up seem to be warm. Just started with a fruit snack but want to send in lunch as well, he is part time at the moment (just mornings) but will be full time in a few weeks. I would like to get it a bit established by then. At home he might have pizza toast, avacado/gauc on toast etc.. but they would all go soggy. TIA!

Spinach muffins ? Carrot sticks or other veg sticks ? My son often eats a cold toasted Cheese sandwich. Crackers, rice cakes wroth nut butters

Baby led weaning cookbook is great for ideas

Veg muffins or fritters. Peanut butter sandwiches. Would they spread hummous or cream cheese on rice cakes or corn cakes for him? Cheese fingers or chicken with chopped tomato, avocado and pepper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hi all, I'm looking for a couple of suggestions for an afternoon snack for an almost ten month old.She has her bottle but it's just not keeping her going between lunch and dinner.She's an enthusiastic little crawler!My older girl didn't crawl this early, so I never really had this problem.She's not BLW, but she's good at finger food and will literally eat whatever you hand her.(and your portion of it too :-) )However I wouldn't be comfortable giving her too chunky food yet, like orange pieces etc.Yoghurts don't seem to sit very well in her tummy and bananas cause problems for her pooing habits (!!), so they're not really an option for now anyway.I'm back at work next week and I have a two year old aswell, so J don't have a lot of time to make muffins etc....don't know how I'm going to cook amd freeze food for her!.....so I was thinking maybe a slice of cheese, or grated apple or something?Anyone have any ideas??

Pinwheel are great and easy to make. I'm making one big batch of things every week to build up a stock pile.
    They are just pastry, and full worth anything the kids will eat. Tomato puree cheese spinach ham etc. Roll up and slice like a Swiss roll. Cooks in 10 min. And they are lovely cold too.
    What about rice cakes/ corn cakes wroth avocado or nut butter?

Hummus / nut butter / cream cheese or mashed avocado on toast/ rice cake / corn cake / ryvita. Slices of avacado, chopped tomato and slices of cheese. Tuna (in spring water) mixed with a small bit of Greek yogurt or cream cheese. I make batches of veg muffins and fritters for the freezer. They freeze very well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry, my post should have said she's not BLW, don't know why it didn't.They sound good dori, do you make the pastry or just buy the ready made shop pastry?She has rice cakes alright but she's not that mad about them and I don't think they fill her up much.She kind of picks at half of a small one, then throws any others on the floor.I might try putting a spread of some sort on them alright.Thanks for the suggestions.

Doesn't really matter if baby led or not. At 6mths they should be getting finger food anyway and should be progressing fairly quickly to lumps and reg food. My phn said by 9 months traditional weaners should just be smashing reg food with a fork a little and letting babies at it.

Yep I just use shop bought pastry.

If baby is on purees for lunch is just blend up some veg or fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I feel I should know the answer to this but can't find a definitive one on the net and I don't remember from #1.

I bought a rake of apples in the aldi super saver to make purée for yoghurts etc for my two girls. They're very bit sharp though, I'd usually add honey but #2 is only 7.5months so can't have it. Can she have maple syrup does anyone know? I don't want to add sugar in the refined form so will just abandon these apples and eat them myself if she can't have the syrup!

• Advertisement

The only things I was told to avoid until one was honey & nuts, everything else was fine so long as there was no history of allergies.
    Jam might also sweeten them up if you didn't want to use syrup.

I think you're right, I'm not sure why I hesitated, I've been told numerous times myself it's just honey and nuts to avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Digs wrote: »
    I think you're right, I'm not sure why I hesitated, I've been told numerous times myself it's just honey and nuts to avoid!

Is cashew/almond/peanut butter ok?? Are you talking about while nuts?

Thanks.

Whole nuts are a choking hazard. Nut butters are fine (though as far as I know you may need to be cautious if there's a nut allergy in the family).

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Whole nuts are a choking hazard. Nut butters are fine (though as far as I know you may need to be cautious if there's a nut allergy in the family).

My GP told me no nuts before 1 in any shape or form because I had childhood eczema and so did my first daughter? Means there's a higher risk of food sensitivities etc and to introduce them in a controlled environment. I'd assume that's particular to our circumstances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

My almost 10 month old has become a very fussy eater over the past few weeks. She has gone from eating a wide and varied diet to now just eating two veg recipies I cook from the Anabel Karmel recipe book. She refuses to eat her meat/fish dishes. I end up mixing them in with the two dishes she likes, somethimes she'll eat it then but other times she'll refuse.
    She has a breastfeed in the morning, followed by weetabix, then lunch, another bf in the afternoon, dinner in the evening and a bottle before bed and 1/2 bf during the night.
    I don't see why she would have enjoyed all of her dinner up until a few weeks and is now refusing them.
    She's on the 9 th centile for weight and 50 th for length. The phn said at her 9 month checkup that she'll refer her on the the paed. doctor to be on the safe side even though she's not worried about her as she's been at these centiles consistently since birth. I'm worried if she's not eating then her weight might become an issue. Phn also said that she needs to eat red meat 3 times a week for iron and at the moment we're nowhere near eating it that often.
    Should I start baby led weaning with her at this stage? I'd love to get some tips on this as I'm unsure where to begin. I thought it was only toddlers who became fussy eater!

Could she be teething? They get very fussy at those times or a leap?
    At 10 mths she should already be getting plenty of finger foods and main meals just mashed with a fork. But if not she may enjoy the play and control she would get worth the blw / finger foods. May get her interested in food again

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Thanks for your reply, Dori. She in a leap at the moment so maybe that's the reason. But would she not be completely off her food then? I don't understand why it's the meat and fish she doesn't like. Are there any good resources/ websites for baby led weaning? Would I just give her little pieces of meat/fish to chew on along with veg and potatoes?

There's a great baby led weaning Facebook page. Always happy to help there. You basically make all the food into batons so there is enough space for them to hold the food and also get some into their mouth.
    Wedges of apple, just squash blueberries, quarter grapes, peas and corn are fine as they are.
    My guy is only 8 mths but he definitely prefers fruit and veg. Meat is chosen last and only if he's really hungry. I don't think it's unusual, my older fella was the same but I don't really know why!

• Advertisement

Oh is she getting plenty of water at meal time? That helps I find

Advertisement