Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you find RT (russian state news) very useful?

Options
  • 14-02-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I know it probably has an anti-eu agenda, but does the eu need to be criticised as dangerous as that may be? Maybe it's just as dangerous for the eu not to be criticised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Don't think much to be honest. as a russian media outlook it does not criticise Russia so that is a red flag.

I was on holidays somehwere and the only english language station was RT I noticed that it covered natural disasters plane crashes from around the world and then a story about a russian space mission then something terrible happening in Europe then something about a science advance in Russia.

Now I get it the russian space missions are an important scientific endevour but really there were no car crashes in all of russia that day?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think you need to go as far as Russia to find media outlets critical of the EU. Plenty within the EU too.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

I would much rather if some portion of the indigenous media in Western countries would be more critical of the national governments, the EU and Western/NATO policy. Nobody would bother with RT (or Press TV or any foreign outlet) if our own fourth estate was doing its job by holding our officials to account in the interests of the people rather than mostly acting as stenographers for authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I don't think you need to go as far as Russia to find media outlets critical of the EU. Plenty within the EU too.
    All I can say is from using youtube etc. etc. RT has cropped up and has got into my psyche, and al jazeera.....they're both very good at what they do.....al jazeera is brilliant.....and that is qatar state backed too....other people I have met know about al jazeera too. It was only after watching aj jazeera for a while that I realized it had a pro-muslim agenda.

Is it even possible to have a pro western democracy/ christian news channel these days? Or are western values just about money and sex these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I watch the odd bit of Al Jazeera, it's doesn't too bad.
    Don't really bother with RT. It's hard to look past the obvious total state control of media in Russia.
    Maybe the same charge could be levelled at Qatar too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Wrong forum, maybe try journalism. Please also read the charter before posting again re: quality and standards of posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement