Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New classic car storage Limerick/ Munster

• 07-02-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've been thinking of opening a mainly classic/ vintage car storage facility but to include bikes, tractors and modern. The location is near all major routes in Limerick and is a 100% dry, fully alarmed, secure warehouse with power and water.
    At the moment I don't think Id be including a workshop facility but again that can change with demand.
    The price will depend on the total outlay but it will be between €50 and €75 per month depending on the size of vehicle.
    Basically it will all come down to demand. If there is a good response to such a facility then I will definately go ahead with it very soon.
    I'd appreciate any opinions ye may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Very well priced I must say. You'd pay more on the East coast!

Having a facility for owners to be able to trickle charge their vehicles would be an idea along with a facility to jump start the inevitable dead ones !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caoimhin1980

I'd supply trickle charge, battery packs for any jump starts needed and air compressor for any flats but I would be offering a small package that will be a regular start up along with keeping on top of all fluids and tyre pressures. Everything really depends on what there is a demand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Great idea.
    Would it be individual units inside a warehouse or just one big open plan indoor area?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there a need for this kinda facility ?

It would be big open plan. The access would be 24 hrs a day by just making a call. Basically the only ones with keys and alarm codes would be myself and a partner. This would be essential to maintain security for everyone else's vehicles. Individual units I feel would be very restrictive size wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Is there a need for this kinda facility ?

Unless you are storing a high value car it's a waste of money. Cars don't like to sit
    Better off spending the 800 odd storage fees per year taxing and using it

Life too short

Unless you are storing a high value car it's a waste of money. Cars don't like to sit
    Better off spending the 800 odd storage fees per year taxing and using it

Life too short

It's really for people that use their car but don't have the means to store it out of the weather or don't have the extra parking space at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

Good idea. I don't know of another one in the area. Hard to say if there will be demand or how to gauge the demand without having it operational. Perspective customers might want to view before committing. Beat of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mac 3

PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It would be big open plan. The access would be 24 hrs a day by just making a call. Basically the only ones with keys and alarm codes would be myself and a partner. This would be essential to maintain security for everyone else's vehicles. Individual units I feel would be very restrictive size wise.

Thanks. Does that mean that you unlock the building remotely for a client following a phone call or would you travel to the premises, let the client in and wait with them?

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Thanks. Does that mean that you unlock the building remotely for a client following a phone call or would you travel to the premises, let the client in and wait with them?

I would be there to let them in and stay there while they were there and be there whenever they were to return with their car after. I would let them be but still for peace of mind for everyone I think a presence is needed on site. Nobody but myself and a partner would have the keys or alarm code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I stored 4 cars before in NZ. 2 containers. I worked abroad alot so it was handy for me. I had a buzzer and let myself in and out. I don't think I would fancy though having someone to call and wait till I had finished. Containers in my experience is the way to go.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

It's really for people that use their car but don't have the means to store it out of the weather or don't have the extra parking space at home.

I have an older car that i take of the road for 3ish months a year (only this year )lol, and plan on doing it in the winter time from now on, its a pain for various reasons as its sitting out in the elements for the couple of months,I dont have a car port /garage so the above sounds good. my car isnt anything thats worth alot but id say that others have similar issues. i have heard of 1/2 places offering something like this before

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sounds interesting, would you have to pay month by month or for a full year?
    Just wondering how it would work if like the poster above I used it for 9 months.

Also would you hold the keys of the cars, in case you need to move them ect?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I stored 4 cars before in NZ. 2 containers. I worked abroad alot so it was handy for me. I had a buzzer and let myself in and out. I don't think I would fancy though having someone to call and wait till I had finished. Containers in my experience is the way to go.

Condensation and rust would be a huge issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think it's a great idea OP. Sounds like decent value too.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, would you have to pay month by month or for a full year?
    Just wondering how it would work if like the poster above I used it for 9 months.

Also would you hold the keys of the cars, in case you need to move them ect?

I was thinking if I said there was 10 spaces that 7 would be full time only and 3 were floating times but that would mean first come first served.
    Easiest way to pay would be standing order on a monthly basis and it keeps payments small.
    I wouldn't need to move the cars unless the owner decides that they wanted them to be started and moved on a regular basis. If not they can decide themselves if the keys are to be left or kept themselves.

80sDiesel wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't store any car in a container in this country unless it was insulated and vented. The condensation wouldn't be great for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Personally I wouldn't store any car in a container in this country unless it was insulated and vented. The condensation wouldn't be great for them.

^^^^^ this. Nearly lost my classic Vespa to a container here. Only good for storing scaffold and pipe etc now. Wouldn't dream of putting my car in it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭baz_ctr

This sounds like a good idea I would be interested, How far do you live from the unit like if the alarm went off how quick could you arrive or would it be a phone watch type, just asking as I would be good distance away myself probably be weekends when I could only get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Onlyme1991

Any more news on this looking for car storage ??

Anyone know of any storage for a classic in the Limerick area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'm thinking of letting out my garage, would there be a demand for it in rural Cork? WOuld it be worth my while moneywise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Limerick_Lad

Hi there,

I own Limerick Self Storage and we get enquiries every now and again looking to store cars most of them classic. We looked at it but would need to charge around 150 a month. 90% of the people enquiring will not spend the money. To be honest I don't think they would even spend 70 a month on storage.

I am into classic cars myself and most of the enquiries are for classic cars with a value of less than €5,000. As a result they will not spend €800 a year on storage.

All the best,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I think around €15 a week is reasonable

So as per the title, any updates on places in Limerick for storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

liam7831 wrote: »
    I think around €15 a week is reasonable

it would be very cheap , not reasonable! I doubt anyone would do it for that price.

Advertisement