Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport search unit job application

• 05-10-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Looking for a bit of help in relation to how I would go about applying for the position in Airport search unit (Dublin Airport ). I understand it's a long process and was hoping to get some info on where I could apply. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Big Mac 21

ASU use Flexsource(Swords) recruitment for all positions. I'm not sure if the process is active at the moment but it would be no harm to give them a call. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gareth0320

Big Mac 21 wrote: »
    ASU use Flexsource(Swords) recruitment for all positions. I'm not sure if the process is active at the moment but it would be no harm to give them a call. Good luck
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dicanio

Hello, all!

Reviving this thread in the hope someone can provide more up to date info on this role.

I've received a start date via my recruiter after an application process that stretched across about 4 months, with group interviews, 1-to-1 interviews (both with recruiter and ASU seniors), online pyschometric tests, online medical forms, Garda vetting, 5 year background check, etc...

There seems to be very mixed opinions on the role. Can anyone actually working it weigh in?

Are we paid weekly/bi-weekly/monthly?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hi Puddin

Hi anyone know what the money is like doing this job?

Is the shift pay worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 neillo101

Paid fortnightly - new recruits get a basic pay approx €13 per HR regardless of starting at 3-4am your pay rate won't change ...
    Contracted hours are approx 20 during summer you earn your money plenty of extra hours , winter you will be lucky to get 30 hours a week

• Advertisement

neillo101 wrote: »
    Paid fortnightly - new recruits get a basic pay approx €13 per HR regardless of starting at 3-4am your pay rate won't change ...
    Contracted hours are approx 20 during summer you earn your money plenty of extra hours , winter you will be lucky to get 30 hours a week

Cheers for the info!

The training period is paid, too, I'm guessing?

Yup 3-4 weeks training 40 hours a week u get paid for the duration

Thanks for the info.

20 and 30 hours do seem a bit low especially when it comes to the antisocial hours that's what two 12 hour shifts a week.

To make up the hours u may work 4-10 13-2000 on a given day , very unsociable hours - only benefit you will make your money in the summer if you can commit to never leaving the airport - also you can't take leave in the summer months which is a huge negative

To make up the hours u may work 4-10 13-2000 on a given day , very unsociable hours - only benefit you will make your money in the summer if you can commit to never leaving the airport - also you can't take leave in the summer months which is a huge negative

How many months are counted as summer months, out of interest? June to August?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info neillo101.

Just one last question if you don't mind you said the hours are there if you are prepared to stay in the airport is there somewhere to get your head down if you stay between shifts?

Summer months would be May to mid sept , basically when kids are back to school ...

Ya there's a designated break room for Asu's few couches but there would be people in and out ... other than that ur car is another option ...

Summer months would be May to mid sept , basically when kids are back to school ...

Ya there's a designated break room for Asu's few couches but there would be people in and out ... other than that ur car is another option ...

Thanks for all the info!

Is the training period always 3-4 weeks, and what's involved? Classroom type stuff and/or on-the-floor scenarios?

It's both the first /second week is a lot about aviation and regulations .
    There are a lot of regulations to follow and checked all the time by the daa
    Some of it's interesting some videos on previous aviation attacks .
    You will have to complete the boring manual handling course 😴.

The 3 week would be searching of people it's not as straight forward in the beginning - there's techniques but in time it will become easy .
    Bag searching - rules on non prohibited items . Then there's the X-ray which is mind boggling in the beginning you won't have a clue what ur looking at .
    And you will learn how to tell between all materials .
    There is an exam at the end of the 4 weeks the trainers are more then helpful.
    You will be on the floor (security area) in week 3-4 on occasions but the asus are there and more than happy to help .

It's both the first /second week is a lot about aviation and regulations .
    There are a lot of regulations to follow and checked all the time by the daa
    Some of it's interesting some videos on previous aviation attacks .
    You will have to complete the boring manual handling course 😴.

The 3 week would be searching of people it's not as straight forward in the beginning - there's techniques but in time it will become easy .
    Bag searching - rules on non prohibited items . Then there's the X-ray which is mind boggling in the beginning you won't have a clue what ur looking at .
    And you will learn how to tell between all materials .
    There is an exam at the end of the 4 weeks the trainers are more then helpful.
    You will be on the floor (security area) in week 3-4 on occasions but the asus are there and more than happy to help .

Thanks again, neillo101. Appreciated.

Recruiters have only mentioned a week's training... there's no way they'll manage to fit all the above into one week, is there?

Oh god no not a chance will it be done in a week minimum 4 weeks.
    There's a lot to take in it as easy as it seems when passing through the airport .
    But ul be fine

Oh god no not a chance will it be done in a week minimum 4 weeks.
    There's a lot to take in it as easy as it seems when passing through the airport .
    But ul be fine

Thanks again for all the info/advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

can I ask guys,
    from what I read above, your are not guaranteed a full 40 hour week?

No you will be contracted 16 hours during summer you will work minimum 30 but can do extra hours which can go above 40 ... once September comes you will be on a winter roster and get 20hours won't be too much extra hours available may make 30 hours per week ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

That's terrible money for the flexibility required

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

€14.14 per hour inclusive of shift allowance?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

Was going to apply but I don't think it'd be worth the risk after reading some of the posts in the thread. So there's no extra pay for unsocial hours, Sundays or bank holidays??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Applied and got straight in not sure about this Flexi contract that's only a year 👀... Got the feeling from the interview thought that the hours will be there as the travel increases post covid ...and with the planned new runway etc ..... probably an ideal time to fall into full time contract after the year but I'm coming from 7 years in a job so it's a gamble .....and as before very mixed feedback from staff about conditions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Djb1987

Read in this thread someone said the recruitment process took 4months to receive a start date. I was successful at interview last week, can I really expect to wait 4 months before receiving a start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 loulin

@Vego Id love to hear how you're getting on? I've applied for asu in Cork but weighing up my options as the 20 hours wouldn't be feasible for me. I have another job at the mo that pays really well but it's 7am -12, Monday to Friday. Are they understanding if you weren't available for certain shifts on weekdays? I'd still be more than happy to work early mornings at weekends and do afternoon/night shifts during the week. Trying to save for a mortgage and sure eho needs sleep anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Didn't go ahead with it ...did a bit of reading into the actual jobs etc asked a few people their thoughts ... The terms and conditions + the 12 month contract I just decided it would be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Barmanhu

Hi,

Anyone going to the open day tomorrow 5th April? Also anyone actually working as ASU able to tell what the situation is with hours, I currently work in a job where I'm guaranteed 21 hours but rarely fall below 35 hours a week. Is this similar and are there options to do overtime (at present I can't).

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Barmanhu

According to an an advert on jobs.ie they are now guaranteeing 30 hours work available to do 40. https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=2041596&r=1-job-listing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

420 gross gauranteed, for the level of responsibility and flexibility needed that's absolutely awful money.

Advertisement