Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon Lens Help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

From the description on your post you're really looking for two different types of lens i.e. Landscape, which would be wider and a Zoom which would be longer.

The first lens you linked to is basically the same as what you have already but with a 'higher' zoom range if you like so your original lens will do your landscapes and this one will do your 'zooms'. Between the two you'll have the range from 18 - 200 covered. Nikon actually do an 18-200 but it's expensive enough at around €600 new AFAIK so probably out of your range at the moment. (It is a heavier duty lens though than the others quoted)

That Tamron is almost the same as the Nikon other than that it has a 300mm 'reach' against the 200mm of the Nikon. Personally I'd stick with the Nikon one.

IMO the whole thing is an evolutionary process. Once you have the 18-55 and 55-200 and get to use both you'll start to find out what you really want and which you get the most use out of. Next up will be a 35 or 50mm prime and possibly a 105mm macro or some variation of. First of those IMO should be the 50mm f1.8 - as a budget lens it's an incredible lens. Bang for buck it's probably one of the best in the range. You may not get a huge amount of use from it but the results are outstanding and I always recommend it as a learning tool as well as for an instant introduction to how to manage DOF it's perfect. As I say though, it's evolutionary and the kit you end up with in 10 years time may not be what I end up with.

Have a look at the second hand market. Lenses that you're looking for tend to pop up fairly regularly and in good condition as people constantly upgrade and/or develop their photography style. Practically all my own gear, all top end Nikon lenses (think thousands rather than hundreds - but don't tell the wife !!) is second hand and I've never had any real unexpected problems with them. I'd say if you nose around you'll get that 55-200 for somewhere between 60 and 100 euro easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i was thinking the Nikon lens myself and i did my research and it will more than likely suit my needs, but my friend recommended the other one so wasn't sure. I will more than likely get the Nikon. Is there any other sites apart from ebay to get these lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Check on www.eglobalcentral.eu They have good pricing. Mixed reviews on here about whether they actually have the stock. I've seen it mentioned on the android forum that phones ordered but not in stock when it said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i think the 55-300mm might be better purchase as i now feel i will want that if got the the 55-200mm it wont be good enough. Its €193 on that website GBX mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Adverts.ie, Done Deal or MPB.com (England) should all have plenty of options for you in second hand stuff.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/?gclid=CK_13N3Pg9ICFeKV7QodxpoKfQ

• Advertisement
Advertisement