Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest Irish person...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Patser wrote: »
    The poet Patrick Kavanagh tore his home county Monaghan to shreds in a few of his poems, most memorably Stony Grey Soil - in which he said the land was crap, the accent crap, the people there walked hunched and basically it fecked up his youth and he's delighted to be out of there.

You'll recognise Monaghan when you drive into it by the Welcome to Kavanagh County signs, and the Visit the Kavanagh Centre sign.

Do you think he 'hated' Ireland and thought it's people were the 'scum of the earth'?
    Do you think he had nothing in common with the indigenous, Gaelic-speaking and Catholic Irish whom they (Wellesley's) despised and distrusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Beggars belief that a poll including Irish writers excludes Beckett.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Probably the anti-treaty comrades or the tribes who defeated the Vikings.

There were a lot of notorious northern kings like Flaithbertach and Domnall Ua Neill but Brian Boru always gets the praise because Munster generally think they have all the heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Actually some neutral countries did far more. Spain, for example, or Portugal where flags were flown at half mast. In that context, Dev's courtesy to the German ambassador - who he felt had been a far more courteous guest than the British ambassador, despite the assistance we gave the latter - was pretty low key.

Spain and Portugal were both under fascist dictatorships at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭johnny_tractor

luke kelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Did he express his 'hate' for the Irish? Simple question.

Did Wellington?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Only 5 more names can go on the poll unless someone gets removed.

Did Wellington?
    Yes, according to his biographer.
    Neither he nor his kin ever considered themselves as Irish. . .The Anglo-Irish aristocracy had nothing in common with the indigenous, Gaelic-speaking and Catholic Irish whom they despised and distrusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

Neither he nor his kin ever considered themselves as Irish. . .The Anglo-Irish aristocracy had nothing in common with the indigenous, Gaelic-speaking and Catholic Irish whom they despised and distrusted.

Sounds like a real boardsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Barbie! wrote: »
    Only 5 more names can go on the poll unless someone gets removed.

Um. Why is my Dad not on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭queueeye

Why has no one mentioned Bosco? Is it cos he's a ginge?

that wasn't "His" biographer, that was a man who wrote a book about him and that comment was made generally about the Anglo-Irish. Which is kind of odd, I wonder if that also includes Lord Edward FitzGerald, Sir John Gray and Theobald Wolfe Tone?

Also makes you wonder why, if he hated the irish, he had so many in his army http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2015/06/18/wellington-the-iron-irishman/

that wasn't "His" biographer, that was a man who wrote a book about him and that comment was made generally about the Anglo-Irish. Which is kind of odd, I wonder if that also includes Lord Edward FitzGerald, Sir John Gray and Theobald Wolfe Tone?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/34421177?selectedversion=NBD8656279
    Also makes you wonder why, if he hated the irish, he had so many in his army http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2015/06/18/wellington-the-iron-irishman/

You 'wonder' why he had people he treated with contempt, from a class he thought were the 'scum of the earth' in his army??? :D

Not getting into another of your pedantic defences of the realm Fred. But I think there is enough 'info' on this man to make him Britain's responsibility. ;)

Not getting into another of your pedantic defences of the realm Fred. But I think there is enough 'info' on this man to make him Britain's responsibility. ;)

how does pointing out that you are once again posting complete and utter bollocks a "Defence of the realm"?

you really do come up with some crackers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

my mam !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

artemis268 wrote: »
    Duke of Wellington Authur wellesley. He's Dublin born and one of history's most prominent generals. He's probably achieved more in his life than a lot of the candidates up there.

****ing love that guy. What a great general. Not as good as Napoleon though. Would have been interesting if the Prussians didn't turn up at Waterloo and it was just him and his Army.

how does pointing out that you are once again posting complete and utter bollocks a "Defence of the realm"?

you really do come up with some crackers.:D

Once I read the bit about 'he wasn't his biographer he was a man who wrote a book about him' I knew where you where going with this. The familiar Fred bolthole. Defence.

Wellesley achieved a lot, but he was Anglo-Irish and very much British, in education and outlook.

I, for one, will leave him British.

chieved a lot, but he was Anglo-Irish and very much British, in education and outlook.

I, for one, will leave him British.

yes, you probably would :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/34421177?selectedversion=NBD8656279

You 'wonder' why he had people he treated with contempt, from a class he thought were the 'scum of the earth' in his army??? :D

So he hated the Irish, his own troops, in all probability the French, none too fond of Indians or his own wife, has a dislike of his Opposition in Parliament (never saw so many shocking bad hats in my life) and even of his own cabinet (An extraordinary affair. I gave them their orders and they wanted to stay and discuss them.)

Still Irish, still an incredible man who remained undefeated in battle despite always being outnumbered and outgunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where's John Redmond on that list? The man who delivered Home Rule before his lifes work was washed out in a sea of blood in 1916.

• Advertisement

****ing love that guy. What a great general. Not as good as Napoleon though. Would have been interesting if the Prussians didn't turn up at Waterloo and it was just him and his Army.

He had it won. The French were spent after the Imperial Guards assault had failed. While it's unlikely Wellington would have been in any position to exploit this and mount a counter attack, which the Prussian arrival allowed and lead to Napoleon's complete defeat, even a drawn stalemate was all Wellington required for Napoleon's new plans to fail. And historically Wellington was very reluctant to attack if it was likely to lead to large casualties, so probably would have just stayed put, let Napoleon completely exhaust his troops attacking the hill and waited until whatever reinforcements arrived, whenever.

So he hated the Irish, his own troops, in all probability the French, none too fond of Indians or his own wife, has a dislike of his Opposition in Parliament (never saw so many shocking bad hats in my life) and even of his own cabinet (An extraordinary affair. I gave them their orders and they wanted to stay and discuss them.)

Still Irish, still an incredible man who remained undefeated in battle despite always being outnumbered and outgunned.

So if you are a pretty shoddy man in general but happen to be able to fight that makes you 'great'?

There's a guy barred from my local that I want to nominate, goes by the name 'One Eye'. ;)

So if you are a pretty shoddy man in general but happen to be able to fight that makes you 'great'?

There's a guy barred from my local that I want to nominate, goes by the name 'One Eye'. ;)

Alexander the Great, drank too much, disliked Persians, cheated on his wife, good in battle - downgraded to Alexander the Meh!

Catherine the Great - usurped her husband, morally questionable, unified her country but you know, the whole horse thing - downgraded to Catherine the alright, but I'd still pay to watch.

Alexander the Great, drank too much, disliked Persians, cheated on his wife, good in battle - downgraded to Alexander the Meh!

Catherine the Great - usurped her husband, morally questionable, unified her country but you know, the whole horse thing - downgraded to Catherine the alright, but I'd still pay to watch.

You do that.
    Personally I think the day we stop exalting those who wave their military might; will be a 'great' one for the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

John Hume = Zero :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

LordSutch wrote: »

Why didn't you vote for him then ?

LordSutch wrote: »

Yep, he deserves huge respect and much more recognition.

Also missing and probably too late to nominate - Oscar Wilde and Johnaton Swift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Alexander the Great,  drank too much,  disliked Persians,  cheated on his wife,  good in battle -  downgraded to Alexander the Meh!

Catherine the Great -  usurped her husband,  morally questionable,  unified her country but you know,  the whole horse thing - downgraded to Catherine the alright,  but I'd still pay to watch.
    Actually not true. Alexander wanted revenge on Persians originally but knew he needed them to solidify his Macedonian Empire. He married a Persian, put many of them into his army. Had a Persian wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why didn't you vote for him then ?

Because you can only vote for one person, and I voted for somebody else.

• Advertisement

Actually not true. Alexander wanted revenge on Persians originally but knew he needed them to solidify his Macedonian Empire. He married a Persian, put many of them into his army. Had a Persian wedding.

Was it not an Afghan he married? Agreed on his use of Persians in his army, he'd usually promote as many locals into his leadership so as to cement his rule over his conquered lands and allow him to continue on.

He actually wanted to befriend Darius, the Persian leader, so as to have someone else who understood the loneliness of leadership. When Darius was betrayed and assassinated by one of his generals, Alexander hunted him down in revenge.

Advertisement