Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beerflation

Options
  • 08-02-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Prices creeping up, just after having a full sail in Galway bays Black Sheep and they're after bringing the price up to €6.00. Durty feckless:(

Vietnow IPA in p. Macs still good value at €5.50, farewell Galway Bay

Comments

Prices creeping up, just after having a full sail in Galway bays Black Sheep and they're after bringing the price up to €6.00. Durty feckless:(

Vietnow IPA in p. Macs still good value at €5.50, farewell Galway Bay

I know the last time I was in The Oslo in Salthill at New Years the Full Sail was up from a few months before.

Think it was e5.50 a while back and it was around e5.80 at New Years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

5.75 for a 330ml of Foam isn't too bad. I would still consider the Galway Bay chain as the biggest rip off in the industry with some of their pricing.

I would always go to Beerhouse instead of the Black Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

I avoid the Galway Bay pubs where possible due to their higher prices. Similarly, I avoid their beers in off licences. E.g. The best value I've seen is 3 500ml for €9, whereas I can choose from much larger selections of 4 for €10 (oharas, bru, mcgargles, Kenmare, Guinness West Indies, Sharpe's, and too many more to name). I've had all the Galway Bay beers and they're mostly decent enough, but I don't see them as being some "premium" product that should cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Their draught pricing is fine imo, it's their bottle pricing that's insane. The mark-up from buying a bottle in one of their pubs must be huge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Full Sail was pretty competitive for a city centre pub (even taking the half duty in to account); this is making it pretty standard. Some of their specials are insanely priced though. If only I hadn't drunk most of my Beoir discount tokens already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Living in Galway and used to go to one of the Galway Bay pubs at least once a week. Prices then started to go up nearly every time I went there. Now I only go a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Stormy port still 5.50, so all is not lost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Stormy port still 5.50, so all is not lost

Stormy Port was €4 when I came to Galway 4 years ago, that's a 37.5% increase. My wages haven't increased at the same rate unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's been two duty increases in that time - albeit not 1.50 worth even at full rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

L1011 wrote: »
    There's been two duty increases in that time - albeit not 1.50 worth even at full rate!

I fell in love with craft beer during the recession, and money was tight. Can't remember stormy port ever being €4.00 however:( Galway bay bars used to have a fantastic lunch menu and decent dinner one, both of which have increased price and decreased in quality. Plus they seem to have culled a pile of very long serving and cool staff in the black sheep 4/5 months ago for some reason? New staff are very pleasant etc. But I do miss the old crew :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I fell in love with craft beer during the recession, and money was tight. Can't remember stormy port ever being €4.00 however:( Galway bay bars used to have a fantastic lunch menu and decent dinner one, both of which have increased price and decreased in quality. Plus they seem to have culled a pile of very long serving and cool staff in the black sheep 4/5 months ago for some reason? New staff are very pleasant etc. But I do miss the old crew :(

They do appear to have a high staff turnover but they generally get moved from pub to pub in the GBB chain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Draught prices in Ireland are much cheaper compared to other similar (cost of living) countries in Europe. In a lot of countries micro = 2 x macro, but not here. Micro prices are quite competitive here, but if a price going up a little is evidence of someone being 'durty' on it's own, I guess you'll believe it regardless of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I reckon they still think by charging so much for a pint of Founders All day (€6.75) that €6 is relatively "cheap" as an alternative option.

Shame they've chosen this route. Hopefully others will follow the lead of Brú House instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Never forget being in the brewdock, and there was a problem with the keg of Black Forest, I saw they'd bottles in the fridge, €8 for a bottle of their own beer, in their own bar. I live by a simple rule in there, never, buy bottles, at least not without asking the price first. Needless to say I didn't bother.

Advertisement