Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options for dealing with "Alive," the Catholic spam paper?

• 08-02-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I keep receiving it. I have a "no junk mail" sign on my mailbox and I've written to them twice asking them to stop sending it to me but they keep sending it. It's technically not advertising so I can't complain through the IDMA or the ASAI.

How do you stop a paper from delivering itself to your house every month?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's almost guaranteed it's some busybody aul wan from the local church going round delivering it.
    Catch her in the neighbourhood and tell her where to shove it. Or better yet, ask her if she actually reads it and believes the guff in it, and if she says yes tell her she should be ashamed of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

This may not work, but it's bound to annoy them more than Alive annoys you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66640754&postcount=21

• Registered Users Posts: 48 flanagain

stimpson wrote: »
    This may not work, but it's bound to annoy them more than Alive annoys you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66640754&postcount=21

Hahaha, thanks for linking me to that thread. I googled "alive paper spam" and boards didn't show up. I've no problem with them believing what they want to believe but I'd just rather not have to confront it once a month. It's such drivel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I actually had a notice saying "no copies of Alive" on my letterbox in a previous house. Most people assumed it was a no junk mail sign and I got virtually nothing.

The "just don't read it" argument doesn't hold as they sell their ads on the basis of amount printed/distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sure, it's free fire lighting material!

Seriously though, spamming of this stuff is getting out of hand. The supermarket special offer leaflets wreck my head. we get 3 or 4 of the same leaflet stuffed in each time. Obs it's a young local getting paid to distribute them, and he / she doesn't want to go miles dishing them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 flanagain

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sure, it's free fire lighting material!

Seriously though, spamming of this stuff is getting out of hand. The supermarket special offer leaflets wreck my head. we get 3 or 4 of the same leaflet stuffed in each time. Obs it's a young local getting paid to distribute them, and he / she doesn't want to go miles dishing them out

I wrote to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC asking them for advice. They were helpful in their response and checked to see if it could be classed as litter (it can't). The data protection act also only covers papers specifically addressed to me so she said to try filling out the IDMA's online form instead. I highly doubt Alive is registered with them but at least it might stop the other crap that keeps coming through the door.

I might have to take your advice and just start the fire with it.

Personally, I think freedom to proselytise should stop at people's garden gates.

Advertisement