Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 connects to wifi but no internet

Options
  • 29-01-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, has anyone found a solution to the problem of being able to connect to wifi but the connection says "secured, no internet", the problem comes and goes, but I've had it with a UPC router all week, it worked last week, I can only connect through my phone, I've tried reinstalling drivers, various other solutions on the internet etc. but no avail, i'm losing hours trying to fix it. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Is it a Dell machine? I find some Dell's are notorious for not connecting properly to certain wifi networks.
    If it's a Dell, see if Intel PROSet Wireless application is installed. If it is, uninstall it then remove the wireless network from your saved networks and set it back up again.
    (I'm not sure if Dell ship the intel proset wireless app with Win 10 computers)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skwawk

d31b0y wrote: »
    Is it a Dell machine? I find some Dell's are notorious for not connecting properly to certain wifi networks.
    If it's a Dell, see if Intel PROSet Wireless application is installed. If it is, uninstall it then remove the wireless network from your saved networks and set it back up again.

Yes is is a Dell, I don't the app, I just don't understand why it would work for 3 weeks and then not for the last two, my windows update is broken too, seriously considering moving away from windows, to many variables when it comes to hardware etc.

Anyway I'll try what you suggest and report back, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

open command prompt as administrator
    type "netsh winsock reset" and press enter (without inverted commas)
    Restart pc / laptop and see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skwawk

open command prompt as administrator
    type "netsh winsock reset" and press enter (without inverted commas)
    Restart pc / laptop and see if that works

I tried that when I had a problem last time.

This time I managed to get into the router setings and change from some settings(WPA TKIP maybe) to WPA2-PSK AES, and miraculously it started to work. Don't know how long it will last though, still need to fix windows update.

Thanks for your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Issue is caused by bad wifi driver not supporting certain wifi settings properly.

Install proper wifi drivers from manufacturers websites, do not rely on the ones automatically installed by windows update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Very common problem with windows 10, to fix just restart (not shutdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Phonicks wrote: »
    Very common problem with windows 10, to fix just restart (not shutdown)

this is how im 'resolving' this issue, its driving me nuts now

Advertisement