Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 6 Nations Fantasy.

• 27-01-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks, it's that time of year again.

I'm signed up for the Irish Times one. Still a little simpler than ESPN or Fantasy Rugger, but it now incorporates tackles, metres run, turnovers etc. Anyone up for setting up the league?

Comments

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm signed up for the Irish Times one. Still a little simpler than ESPN or Fantasy Rugger, but it now incorporates tackles, metres run, turnovers etc. Anyone up for setting up the league?

Think most people did Fantasy Rugger last year and it was quite good for the six nations I have to say.

I'm up for either but will defo only do one. Will look into both today and start working on permutations!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

can't you set it up? I'll probably sign up for all and may run a league on 1 maybe 2 sites. But if you start up Irish times would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

can't you set it up? I'll probably sign up for all and may run a league on 1 maybe 2 sites. But if you start up Irish times would be great

I didn't think I could admin 3, but I can. So here we go.

I've joined The Irish Times Fantasy Rugby 2017 Game at
    http://fantasyrugby.irishtimes.com

Join my Mini-League if you think you've got the best managerial mind . Go to the game at http://fantasyrugby.irishtimes.com and go to 'Register to Play', pick your team then use the ‘Mini-league admin' option to join my Mini-League.

The details you need are:
    League Name:
    Boards
    League password:
    joevjones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

what about this one?

http://fantasy.rbs6nations.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

So what are people's teams looking like so far? Finding it difficult to fit everyone I want in!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Boots234 wrote: »
    So what are people's teams looking like so far? Finding it difficult to fit everyone I want in!

im finding it difficult to spend the whole budget :)

im quiet happy with my team and still have 7.5 m left over

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

My team is mostly Italians and Scots. That's how I'd suggest people should go

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im finding it difficult to spend the whole budget :)

im quiet happy with my team and still have 7.5 m left over

It's not possible to spend over the whole budget. The most expensive players in each position add up to exactly 100mn - and even at that I think that it has more than the permitted amount of English players.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's not possible to spend over the whole budget. The most expensive players in each position add up to exactly 100mn - and even at that I think that it has more than the permitted amount of English players.

so whats the point of such a high budget then if its basically a free pick and 2 transfers per game week which wouldn't have any monetary restriction due to the change left over?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so whats the point of such a high budget then if its basically a free pick and 2 transfers per game week which wouldn't have any monetary restriction due to the change left over?

I have no idea, it was the same last year (when they added the feature). I'd say the Irish Times were under pressure to make their fantasy rugby appear more complex (to compete with Fantasy Rugger), but equally under pressure to keep it simple for casual fans.

It's not the only element that is nonsensical. Not nominating a kicker is silly. It effectively means that Laidlaw is the only logical choice as scrum half unless France pick Doussain or something. For instance last year Murray was an amazing pick. He scored 3 tries, made 90% of his 40 tackle attempts and ran 70 metres. He still scored one less point than Laidlaw over the course of competition, because Laidlaw (who was Mr average) is a goal kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Joined the league. Should be good craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Everdene

I keep making changes to mine including swapping Murray and Laidlaw a few times - going to leave it now until Friday and give it the once over.

Yes the budget is for appearance only - maybe they will reduce it next year to bring in a degree of difficulty.

Have set up fantasy rugger team, will look at Times later in the week.

Is there any chance Serin goal kicks for France, or will it definitely be Lopez?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

So are the kickers highly likely to be the top scorers in the fantasy game? i.e. Should one of your kickers (now I have Laidlaw in ahead of Murray which galls me :confused:) be your captain?

Last year the highest scorer over the whole 6 nations was Heaslip, followed by Faletau (on 100 and 99). Farrell was third, but it was a fair drop (88).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Irish Time fantasy rugby thing is so slow and barely functioning.

laugh wrote: »

Yeah I gave up on it. The fact that you can spend whatever you want ruins it for me. Also it kind of encourages you to pick loads of kickers.

I'll create a fantasy rugger league tonight tbh.

I'll create a fantasy rugger league tonight tbh.

I don't trust them to get the score right and it drives me mental. I played during the world cup and they would consistently **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Is there any chance Serin goal kicks for France, or will it definitely be Lopez?
    Difficult to know.

During the Autumn Test:
    • Machenaud-Trinh Duc vs Samoa. Machenaud kicking. Serin replaced MAchenaud and took over the kicking duty.Doussain had previously replaced injured Trinh Duc.

• Machenaud-Doussain vs Australia. Machenaud kicking. Lopez came in for Doussain. Machenaud kept the kicking duty. Then Serin came in for Machenaud. But there were no kicking opportunities. Lopez was put in position and attempted (and failed) a last min drop-goal so maybe he was ahead of Serin.

• Machenaud-Lopez vs New Zealand. Machenaud kicking. Serin replaced Machenaud and took over the kicking duty.
    So, based on these last 3 games, Serin should be on kicking duty. But anyway why would you bother with a French kicker when most other countries offer you much better for a fantasy game :p?!

• Advertisement

I don't trust them to get the score right and it drives me mental. I played during the world cup and they would consistently **** up.

World cup was it's first tournament. Last years six nations it was perfectly solid.

iroced wrote: »
    Difficult to know.

During the Autumn Test:
    • Machenaud-Trinh Duc vs Samoa. Machenaud kicking. Serin replaced MAchenaud and took over the kicking duty.Doussain had previously replaced injured Trinh Duc.

• Machenaud-Doussain vs Australia. Machenaud kicking. Lopez came in for Doussain. Machenaud kept the kicking duty. Then Serin came in for Machenaud. But there were no kicking opportunities. Lopez was put in position and attempted (and failed) a last min drop-goal so maybe he was ahead of Serin.

• Machenaud-Lopez vs New Zealand. Machenaud kicking. Serin replaced Machenaud and took over the kicking duty.
    So, based on these last 3 games, Serin should be on kicking duty. But anyway why would you bother with a French kicker when most other countries offer you much better for a fantasy game :p?!

The flaw in the Irish Times fantasy game is that you don't have to select a kicker, you get points for all the kickers you have. Because of that everyone selects Greg Laidlaw, because even though he's crap around the park, he gets his kicks. But Serin is much more likely to score tries than Laidlaw. And he's a kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

I use ESPN.

So if anyones made a league on this lemme know.
    I really don't know who to pick atm. Currently no irish backs at all and I feel guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Anyone else using Superbru? A lot of rugby media places are doing their leagues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There is a boards group and league running. If a member of the site already Dog Botherer look up in the clubs section for the "boards.ie" group and apply. Then apply to join the 6 nations competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

There is a boards group and league running. If a member of the site already Dog Botherer look up in the clubs section for the "boards.ie" group and apply. Then apply to join the 6 nations competitions.

Got it, sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

laugh wrote: »

Yes very frustrating. Hopefully a temporary glitch as its pretty much unusable at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Who the hell uses this tat in 2017:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34249

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Irish times server is timing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Just logging into it now, shambles of a set up.

You don't have a designated kicker any longer? So everyone's back line is going to have Laidlaw, Spedding, Hogg, Halfpenny and Farrell?

Advertisement