Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So do we need a Brexit Minister?

Options
  • 24-01-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Eh, no we don't, isn't that what the minister for foreign affairs is for? Apparently Kenny is going to be asked this question today..

http://www.thejournal.ie/leaders-questions-15-3202325-Jan2017/

I wonder what his answer will be? It wouldn't surprise me at all if he thinks we do need one. Any old excuse. Another Minister with all the extra cash, perks, pension, and small army of advisors that comes with the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Eh, no we don't, isn't that what the minister for foreign affairs is for? Apparently Kenny is going to be asked this question today..

I wonder what his answer will be? It wouldn't surprise me at all if he thinks we do need one. Any old excuse. Another Minister with all the extra cash, perks, pension, and small army of advisors that comes with the job.

There can't be any more senior minsters appointed than the 15 there already are. Constitution innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There can't be any more senior minsters appointed than the 15 there already are. Constitution innit.

Just take an existing minister and add an "for Brexit" to the title.
    I'm not sure though what a Brexit minister would specifically do and why individual ministers don't have responsibility for Brexit relevant in their own particular departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think we do. Kenny seems to be taking this easy like Sunday morning whilst everything is going on around him. This really reminds me of the Lehman crash and the economic disaster occurring whilst the Irish government did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

We already have a Minister for European Affairs. Wouldn't he be the de facto Brexit Minister?

Phoebas wrote: »
    We already have a Minister for European Affairs. Wouldn't he be the de facto Brexit Minister?
    AFAIK that's a very junior ministerial position and not part of cabinet; I'd presume that if this was to be the case, we'd want them to be more central in terms of policy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

AFAIK that's a very junior ministerial position and not part of cabinet; I'd presume that if this was to be the case, we'd want them to be more central in terms of policy etc.
    I think that's right - he's a Junior Minister.

The current title of the job is "Minister of State for European Affairs, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection" which seems like a whatever your having yourself job.
    We should have a senior dedicated minister in charge of European Affairs who would sit at cabinet and be the central person in charge of brexit related matters.

It probably wouldn't be Dara Murphy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd be comfortable if they appointed a Super-Junior Minister with direct responsibility for managing our side of the negotiations. The Minister for Foreign Affairs is pretty busy dealing with international issues, he wouldn't be able to solely focus on Brexit. That Department will be even more busy in the months ahead given the turmoil that is about to engulf the world (we ain't seen anything yet folks!).

I'd sack Dara Murphy and replace his position with a Brexit Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

FF want a Brexit minister. Appeals to those with little understanding of a situation. Spin from Martin.

This requires a whole Govt approach.

What exactly would that minister do? Clue:

F**k all.

Rightwing wrote: »
    FF want a Brexit minister. Appeals to those with little understanding of a situation. Spin from Martin.

This requires a whole Govt approach.

What exactly would that minister do? Clue:

F**k all.
    Well, they'd be a member of cabinet, which is how this government has worked for the past 80 years.

Well, they'd be a member of cabinet, which is how this government has worked for the past 80 years.

That's what they'd be, but what would he/she do? Ask M Martin I suppose.

• Advertisement

That's what they'd be, but what would he/she do? Ask M Martin I suppose.
    There is a hell of a lot to do; rather than allowing each Minister to go and pre-negotiate positions with relation to their department, there would be a coordinated approach, or at very least once Minister with the road map.

There is a hell of a lot to do; rather than allowing each Minister to go and pre-negotiate positions with relation to their department, there would be a coordinated approach, or at very least once Minister with the road map.

That's wishy washy.

I haven't seen a coherent argument from anyone in favour of a brexit minister apart from using buzzwords like 'road maps'.

That's wishy washy.

I haven't seen a coherent argument from anyone in favour of a brexit minister apart from using buzzwords like 'road maps'.
    Likewise, I haven't seen a coherent argument against.

I think the Government should have a coherent and clear picture of how they intend to pursue Irish interests prior to the negotiation between the 27 and the UK. That involves knowing what we want now and negotiating with the UK now as a sovereign nation to ensure that the positions envisaged in the 1920s up to joining the EU remain in place in one way or another.

Unlike every other EU Member State, we are uniquely impacted by Brexit, I do not believe in any way that each individual Minister is capable or prepared to enter into these pre-negotiations with the British Government in any coherent or strategic manner.

Likewise, I haven't seen a coherent argument against.

I think the Government should have a coherent and clear picture of how they intend to pursue Irish interests prior to the negotiation between the 27 and the UK. That involves knowing what we want now and negotiating with the UK now as a sovereign nation to ensure that the positions envisaged in the 1920s up to joining the EU remain in place in one way or another.

Unlike every other EU Member State, we are uniquely impacted by Brexit, I do not believe in any way that each individual Minister is capable or prepared to enter into these pre-negotiations with the British Government in any coherent or strategic manner.

Yes, but it's 1 thing knowing what you want, and another getting it. Spain have a list too. NL too. Fr too. This is the problem. Most of this is out of our hands. We can just hope that commonsense prevails. Only benefit of a minister I can see is it may give hope to those who are ignorant of the situation, 'ah well, at least we have a brexit minister to deal with this now' type thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

He can't have another Cabinet Minister, he is limited to current number under the Constitution

I don't agree that the Minister for Foreign Affairs is the obvious Brexit Minister. While DFA might lead on the negotiations, the impacts of Brexit will be felt in Ireland not just in Brussels - someone should be leading, full time on coordinating the work across all Departments on how they are going to mitigate the impacts and avail of opportunities.

the Taoiseach is too busy to focus on it solely

Advertisement