Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Undateables...

Options
  • 30-01-2017 11:54pm

I don't want to use the word offensive, because we'll have that whole "what offends you is your business" argument.

How about words like "the most mawkish and exploitative television ever seen"? The worst point and stare programme I can remember, masquerading as faux concern for its victims subjects. Anyone associated with the production of this should be shown the door and told to go drool over photos of road traffic accidents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's ugly shaming at its worst.

I just invented that term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you actually watch it? It's the most tasteful and respectfully done show ever. There's zero exploitation in it and there's no mocking. It's a great show. Where's the point and stare factor? Non existent. I doubt you watched it. If you did, I'd love you to point out even one instance where anything is played for laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah come on we're running out of people to make fun of.

So who's fair bait in your opinion, don't say Trump or my copy of Animal farm will hit you so fast you'll be back on the far right before you know it.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you actually watch it? It's the most tasteful and respectfully done show ever. There's zero exploitation in it and there's no mocking. It's a great show. Where's the point and stare factor? Non existent. I doubt you watched it. If you did, I'd love you to point out even one instance where anything is played for laughs.

I've watched about 2 half shows. With my mouth open at the idea that this passed a slew of checks, the person who thought of it, the director, the producers, the tv company etc. etc. And no one shouted "stop, it's just wrong". It's the extreme form of that Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle form of exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is this some TV shîte?

I only watch the six o clock news on TV, like my granddaddy used to.

Granda didn't have a dodgy box though, that I know of

• Advertisement

Ah come on we're running out of people to make fun of.

So who's fair bait in your opinion, don't say Trump or my copy of Animal farm will hit you so fast you'll be back on the far right before you know it.

You said it exactly. It is throwing up people as bait. Of course, they don't do it explicitly, after all it is faux concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a lovely programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Do they end up with a date at the end of the show?

It's a lovely programme.

I don't think there is anything lovely about labelling people with autism as "undateable". That might actually work if it was laced with irony but the programme is devoid of irony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,833 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I just wish they'd change the name of the show . There is someone for everyone , somewhere i believe anyway , so don't say they're Undateables . Makes them sound like Undesireables or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I vaguely remember the "Un" dropping off the word "Undatables" during the opening titles, thus reinforcing the message that the participants are dateable after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Channel 4 just has a habit of giving programmes titles as close to "WATCH THE FREAKS" as it can. The actual content of them isn't nearly as exploitative as stuff you'd find on ITV or other channels though, IMO. They're mostly commercially funded and have, I'd imagine, a remit to draw a certain amount of viewers. Naming programmes in the way they do is and always has been a highly effective strategy. Come to see what the **** a programme with that title is going to be like or to hope to get some cheap laughs at someone's expense, stay for the social conscience and edumacation.

I've seen a few episodes and don't agree with your reading of it at all.

Channel 4 just has a habit of giving programmes titles as close to "WATCH THE FREAKS" as it can. The actual content of them isn't nearly as exploitative as stuff you'd find on ITV or other channels though, IMO. They're mostly commercially funded and have, I'd imagine, a remit to draw a certain amount of viewers. Naming programmes in the way they do is and always has been a highly effective strategy. Come to see what the **** a programme with that title is going to be like or to hope to get some cheap laughs at someone's expense, stay for the social conscience and edumacation.

I've seen a few episodes and don't agree with your reading of it at all.

Channel 4 used to be all Carol V and William G Stewart, we used to rush home from school to watch Countdown and 15-1, can you imagine wains going anywhere near that rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Is Countdown not cool anymore :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Maybe the name is a bit harsh but I've seen a good few episodes of it and I find they always make the people in it come across really well. If anything I think it would help people like me who has no experience with people with the disabilities who feature in the program to understand their conditions better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Is Countdown not cool anymore :(

I dunno, they put it on on the middle of the day now, used to be great as a justification for Kuwaiting time, now have to wait for Pointless at 5.15 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Granda didn't have a dodgy box though, that I know of

You should have seen yer Nan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Do they end up with a date at the end of the show?

I've never seen it before so I googled it and this was the first clip that came up.

It's both funny and sweet at the same time. I have no idea if the rest of the show is as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Maybe it just makes you feel awkward OP but i feel this programme has its roots in a good place. The UK is streets ahead when it comes to inclusion within its population. Ireland unfortunately still has trouble with the labeling of these people which in turn stigmatizes them and makes their life so restrictive. Why cant everyone have the right to enjoy dates? and if it allows us to learn how to react around them as an example of someone in their condition then great everyone can benefit. Channel 4 has a history of stepping out there and doing the shows others find edgy, i consider it good social research.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The one thing I noticed is most of them are actually very beautiful inside and out and that they do meet partners who accept them. I think that it shows hope and is a lovely show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The name of the show is all about changing perceptions. These people are 'supposedly' undateable from first perceptions or pre judging but then you see just how amazing they are and how they overcome. They're better than me in lots of ways. I love the show. It's based totally on dignity and changing perceptions and is totally at odds with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Omackeral wrote: »

I agree, in fact it gives you an insight into the lives of people and the extra hardships that come with their various disabilities.
    I haven't watched this series yet but watched all other years and this is the view I came away with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I've watched it a couple of times.

There really is no reason apart from exploitation for not editing the awkward silences.

Like 99% of modern day reality television, it's just a diluted version of the Victorian freak show.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Like 99% of modern day reality television, it's just a diluted version of the Victorian freak show.

It is. It is akin to looking at Siamese Twins on a circus stage with some saying "...but this gives us an amazing insight into their inner beauty". As comedian Lee Ridley said, they should just be honest and rename it "would you shag a crip". The British Medical Association were right to raise objections to it.

Why cant everyone have the right to enjoy dates? and if it allows us to learn how to react around them as an example of someone in their condition then great everyone can benefit. Channel 4 has a history of stepping out there and doing the shows others find edgy, i consider it good social research.

Um, you do understand I was making no point whatsoever about the people on it?

Did you seriously think I was contending they have no right to date?

The point I was making is that staring at them doing so, trying to raise ratings on the back of their issues, is rubbernecking and crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Um, you do understand I was making no point whatsoever about the people on it?

Did you seriously think I was contending they have no right to date?

The point I was making is that staring at them doing so, trying to raise ratings on the back of their issues, is rubbernecking and crass.

People trying to convince themselves that this show is "changing perceptions" and "providing an insight" ffs. :o

****ed up beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I had reservations when it first came out, I then watched it and really enjoyed it. They do a great job at showing the difficulties these people face in life, not just love.
    My only gripe is that they often get a lot of mismatches, there's a guy on the current series and I think he's probably one of the nicest, most positive guys I've ever seen. They paired him with a girl who has similar autistic/learning issues (I can't recall which) and massive anxiety issues. He seemed far too outgoing for her. He said he loved her on the last episode after going out for 2 years and she canned him. The poor lad is destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson wrote: »
    I've never seen it before so I googled it and this was the first clip that came up.

It's both funny and sweet at the same time. I have no idea if the rest of the show is as nice.

Most Youtube links are a waste of time but that was a nice one. Unfortunately, I cannot keep a straight face for long when someone has a Tourettes outburst. I have a friend who worked with someone who had Tourettes. When she was explaining what the job entailed and did an impression of a tourettes outburst, by swinging her fist and swearing, I slid off the chair onto the floor. She gave me a ''you b****'' look.

And I had to pull my car over to calm down when I listened to an interviews with a woman who couldn't stop peppering her sentences with ''F**k'' and ''Biscuit!''.

As long as there's a good outcome for the participants, I think I can ignore the lurid side of it (tv company making money out of them).

Advertisement