Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

vicwatson wrote: »
    Rubbish, it depends on the variety, roosters are great, and besides no one boils potatoes anymore, steaming is where it's at;)

Actually I did try steaming them, because I couldn't get to tesco!!!!
    Also tried leaving the skin on, but alas, to no avail....!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

For a floury potatoe they are best, I'm told, but they can go to mush at the edges and still be rock hard in the middle. It's some kind of old lady trick. Some of them don't peel them, the potatoes sort of blossom open during cooking.

Just don't boil them, get yourself electric steamer for 20-30€ you'll never look back. Tip them into a bowl after steaming a big lump of butter in there, mash them up = best mash ever

ellejay wrote: »

Been using a steamer for 7 years and buying aldi roosters for similar time, never once gone to mush, overcooking perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bubblefett wrote: »
    Milk.
    For most stuff they're grand

What's wrong with the milk?

For a floury potatoe they are best, I'm told, but they can go to mush at the edges and still be rock hard in the middle. It's some kind of old lady trick. Some of them don't peel them, the potatoes sort of blossom open during cooking.

I like Maris Piper. They're very good for chips.

Maris piper available in LIDL all the time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

And not in my nearest Tesco. I'm growing my own this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

mansize wrote: »
    Lidl milk has the farmed in ROI seal on it.

Lidl milk in cartons is RoI, in jugs its NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Cosmetics, deodorants, beans and peas. Kitchen roll. Toilet roll, cheap toothpaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And not in my nearest Tesco. I'm growing my own this year.

The local greengrocer here always has excellent Maris Pipers. The best spuds for chips .

I haven't tried potatoes from lidl or aldi in about a year so things might have changed but in fairness I shouldn't have to change my cooking method to facilitate what I think is below quality potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Got a tin of marrowfat peas in lidl at xmas as im the only one who eats them. They were miserable.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Got a tin of marrowfat peas in lidl at xmas as im the only one who eats them. They were miserable.

They're inedible and the beans are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Nappies. In both aldi and lidl. I've given them a try on my 3 boys over the years and each time they've gotten bad nappy rash and they leaked much quicker too. Would love if they had worked out as a much more reasonable price.

Whoever was talking about the rooster potatoes in Aldi I also won't buy them. Something about the cooked texture I don't like, especially when you roast them.

Won't buy meat in either shop. Actually won't buy meat in any supermarket - butchers all the way.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rubbish, it depends on the variety, roosters are great, and besides no one boils potatoes anymore, steaming is where it's at;)
    Yeah, the ones I often see in Aldi are odd varieties like Cultra and Maritima. Particularly when on special offer, it's these.

Though Aldi do have Roosters usually, which are considerably better. Seldom do they have the good ol' Maris Piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

the tesco coffee isn't great, I find Aldi food lovely! Lidl is another story I'm not a huge fan, but you can't really go wrong with fruit and veg anywhere, the sweets in lidl are good as is the bakery!

Aldi wins though I genuinely like all the food from Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Generally find the stuff in Lidl and Aldi to be much of a muchness when compared to each other, and in the main as good if not better in terms of quality as the main brands. Almost always both are cheaper than the rest.

The Lidl Crafty brewing company beers are as good as you'll get anywhere. The Aldi O'Shea's stuff is not as good. Still drinkable mind.

Certain things are better in one over the other - I prefer the bread from Aldi, at least the selection is better.
    Chocolate in Lidl is far better though.

things I don't buy their own branded stuff of:
    Cheese in Lidl - it's all UK - I prefer to spend my money supporting Irish Produce where its warranted. If meat or dairy has the UK, GB or NI producer label, I tend to seek an Irish alternative.

Washing up liquid - fairy all the way.

Tea - I'm strictly a Barry's Tea man, though I'll admit if you were to give me a taste test I probably would not be able to tell the difference.

Beans.

Fizzy drinks. I tend to avoid these anyway so if I do go for them I'll stick with the branded liquidised sugar with bubbles. For no particular reason other than I don't buy these when doing the grocery shopping anyway.

I haven't tried potatoes from lidl or aldi in about a year so things might have changed but in fairness I shouldn't have to change my cooking method to facilitate what I think is below quality potatoes.

You should if you are cooking the bejaysus out of them;)

They're inedible and the beans are the same.

Beans from aldi 39c are ggrreeat

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, the ones I often see in Aldi are odd varieties like Cultra and Maritima. Particularly when on special offer, it's these.

Though Aldi do have Roosters usually, which are considerably better. Seldom do they have the good ol' Maris Piper.

Yeh cultra and maritima, ****e for boiling but actually not bad baked.;)

Blackjack wrote: »

things I don't buy their own branded stuff of:
    Cheese in Lidl - it's all UK - I prefer to spend my money supporting Irish Produce where its warranted. If meat or dairy has the UK, GB or NI producer label, I tend to seek an Irish alternative.

Are you sure about this? By far the majority of Irish produced cheese is PACKED in U.K. and that's why it has a uk stamp, nothing to do with the country of origin. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll share my granny's trick here so - a drop of vinegar in the water you boil them in, and they will stay firm.

Are you sure about this? By far the majority of Irish produced cheese is PACKED in U.K. and that's why it has a uk stamp, nothing to do with the country of origin. Nothing.

Well I have nothing else to go on to determine its origin really.

You should if you are cooking the bejaysus out of them;)

Good thing I'm not so!:)

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'll share my granny's trick here so - a drop of vinegar in the water you boil them in, and they will stay firm.

Are you mixing that up with poached eggs

Good thing I'm not so!:)

You must be getting magic potatoes that only go to mush in your kitchen :eek:

Blackjack wrote: »
    Well I have nothing else to go on to determine its origin really.

That might be but it doesn't mean they are selling uk cheese.

That might be but it doesn't mean they are selling uk cheese.

I'm sure you're right.

Beans from aldi 39c are ggrreeat

I was on about the Lidl ones. As for the big joke about condoms from Lidl they would be one of my favourite brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

I was on about the Lidl ones. As for the big joke about condoms from Lidl they would be one of my favourite brands.

Which flavour do you prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Geuze wrote: »
    Lidl milk in cartons is RoI, in jugs its NI.

Ah, I only buy the cartons

Advertisement