Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow set...

Options
  • 29-01-2017 10:05pm

...has it definitely definitely disappeared or any clubs or pubs out there still churn it out?

And what are your memories of it? It was one of the greatest trials of man back in the day, but also the best chance of securing that relationship, some life long. My own started 25 years ago, on the 26th December 1991 when I finally plucked up the courage to ask out the woman who is now my wife, so I have much to be grateful for the ritual and great memories of Maria McKee "Show Me Heaven", George Michael "Praying For Time" etc.

What are your memories?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eternal flame at the school disco and being k ocked back by every girl in a long line until the last one who, bless her, wouldn't have been asked often.

Eternal flame at the school disco and being k ocked back by every girl in a long line until the last one who, bless her, wouldn't have been asked often.

That song was a great one for the slow dance.

You had a healthier attitude than me. I couldn't face the knock back, so spent most of the time not asking. The only punt I took was with my wife, thought I had no chance but she had gone to University, I was in 6th year, I thought our chances of meeting were dwindling and after 5 years of longing I took the longest of long shots. I still thank the power of Smithwicks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

...has it definitely definitely disappeared or any clubs or pubs out there still churn it out?

And what are your memories of it? It was one of the greatest trials of man back in the day, but also the best chance of securing that relationship, some life long. My own started 25 years ago, on the 26th December 1991 when I finally plucked up the courage to ask out the woman who is now my wife, so I have much to be grateful for the ritual and great memories of Maria McKee "Show Me Heaven", George Michael "Praying For Time" etc.

What are your memories?

Ah The Grove....."Nothing Else Matters"......

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Everything I do Brian Adams

The summer of 91

Everything I do Brian Adams

The summer of 91

Yep, that was another sure fire number.

When you think of it, it was a great effort by society coaxing women into opening up to the prospect of a relationship, encouraging the mating ritual. Stick on a romantic song, introduce alcohol, have the whole peer pressure thing going on. The youth of today are being denied the opportunities we had...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Prince with Purple Rain and The Eagles with Take It To The Limit and Lying Eyes. I've danced to these songs about a thousand times each:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Castlecourt westport. slow set use to always finish with Careless whisper then straight into rock the boat . drink spilled everywhere. good times :)

Castlecourt westport. slow set use to always finish with Careless whisper then straight into rock the boat . drink spilled everywhere. good times :)

Ah, memories, it was a long way from home but found myself there back in the 90s. Though by that stage the slow set in South Kerry in 91 meant I was attached and could focus on drinking and sitting down, feeling smug...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Born Slippy after a few yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Ah the 'it's ten to two she will do moment'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

That song was a great one for the slow dance.

You had a healthier attitude than me. I couldn't face the knock back, so spent most of the time not asking. The only punt I took was with my wife, thought I had no chance but she had gone to University, I was in 6th year, I thought our chances of meeting were dwindling and after 5 years of longing I took the longest of long shots. I still thank the power of Smithwicks...

You took one romantic punt in your life ever and it worked out...remind me to some gambling tips from you.

You took one romantic punt in your life ever and it worked out...remind me to some gambling tips from you.

Put in 5 years hard work, mixtapes, feigned interest in the Police and TPau, have lots of heartfelt talks where she refers to her latest relationship and suppress urge to shout "I'd be perfect for you"...oh and optimise the timing.

Not sure that works in betting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

In Limerick it was known as 'The Erection Section' ........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

YORE THE WIND BENEATH MAH WINGS

There are things about the nineties I miss. The slow set ain't one of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ah, memories, it was a long way from home but found myself there back in the 90s. Though by that stage the slow set in South Kerry in 91 meant I was attached and could focus on drinking and sitting down, feeling smug...

Ahem South Kerry , you say ?
    Just in case we're wandering cross a minefield, could you give me a better location ?
    Spent many a long weekend , week down there .

So much so I'm giving serious thought to a purchase down there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

KC and Jojo "All My Life". Not that I hear it very often anymore but if/when I do, I'm transported back to 1998 doing an awkward shuffling dance with some young fella as a preamble to the inevitable shifting. Once the slow-set was over and the Venga Boys started playing again you'd prise yourself apart and skip back to your friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Back in the good old 80's in Co. Offaly one of the favourite slow set songs in all the discos was Phyllis Nelson's 'Move closer' still a good choon today. As good today for a dry ride -as they say- as it was 30 years ago ;-) Got banned along with Je t-aime in some of the smalltown discos but Frankie goes Relax...got the go ahead

Don't know how to post a link to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

washman3 wrote: »
    In Limerick it was known as 'The Erection Section' ........:D

Only in Limerick :rolleyes:
    Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Back in the good old 80's in Co. Offaly one of the favourite slow set songs in all the discos was Phyllis Nelson's 'Move closer' still a good choon today. As good today for a dry ride -as they say- as it was 30 years ago ;-) Got banned along with Je t-aime in some of the smalltown discos but Frankie goes Relax...got the go ahead

Don't know how to post a link to it.

Just in case we're wandering cross a minefield, could you give me a better location ?

Like any true Kerryman, I won't give much away but a Ill answer a question with a question.

Where are you looking at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Hayses hotel Thurles 1983 I was on the floor with the love of my life "dancing" to "kiss you all over" by exile and a bouncer actually tipped my fella on the shoulder and said if we didn't pack it in we'd be asked to leave.
    Happy days

• Advertisement

I'm glad I'm too young to have encountered the slow set, it sounds agonizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Foreigner...I want to know what love is...was our favourite...our disco had a weird way of ending the slow set" with Stairway to Heaven...started off slow but ended up loud with couples still moving slowly in circles not knowing what else to do.

The slow set was great.

0h to be back, just for a day, even for an hour to live in that moment when life was simple, less jaded and the highlight of the week or even the month was the slow set at the school disco.

it's probably just as well sometimes, you don't know what's ahead.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm too young to have encountered the slow set, it sounds agonizing.

It was fab.

infogiver wrote: »
    It was fab.

I guess you had to be there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Like any true Kerryman, I won't give much away but a Ill answer a question with a question.

Where are you looking at?

If I could find something in Valentia but cahirciveen , portmagee or ballinaskelkigs would be perfect. .possibly in two or less years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Did ya get the shift did ya?

Candie wrote: »
    I guess you had to be there. :)

For sure. I can't explain it. Of course I understand that "ballads" aren't popular now and songs about falling in love and being heartbroken are just not PC ( although I don't understand why) . Our DJ could really muck up your heart with a slow set. He didn't stick to current top ten hits either.
    He'd throw in Dorothy Moore singing Misty Blue (so easy to dance too) on top of Foreigner Waiting for a Girl Like You and Stevie Wonder singing Lately
    The number 1 song for slow sets was True by Spandau Ballet and no 2 was Careless Whisper
    Other favourites were When a man Loves a Woman by Percy Sledge and Stand by Me by Ben E King

Or in Dublin known as a ware

Unchained melody as played in Ghost. My 21st birthday party flashes before me.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Did ya get the shift did ya?

At the end of the slow set you'd either just thank the guy for the dance (not PC now) and walk off or he might keep hold of your hand and say"will you stay on?" or "would you like a drink?"

Advertisement