Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cranberries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Getting a bad rap since Night of the Living Dead...

But Shaun of the Dead was good? Made people laugh again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The Corrs. Bland, inoffensive, saccharine sweet pap wrapped up in pretty smiles. At least the Cranberries tried, while Zombie and Salvation were woejus they were a band trying to push the envelope a little and not sail through their career regurgitating Linger. Every song by the Corrs was dross.

I don't know, the Corrs at least weren't really trying to be cool or edgy or anything and their music was about as offensive as lift music. They were kind of riding on that short lived wave of the UK thinking Ireland was kind of cool (or maybe it was just Chris Evans), and not just bombs and hate, which was the only reason we'd been in the news for decades. Plus they were nice to look at (especially Jim!).

Incidentally I've never been in a lift that played music.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good band but never made it mega big like u2, Sinead O Connor, The Script, Thin Lizzy among others They didnt fall the way of Aslan (who are only really known in Ireland and irish communites in the UK/Austraila etc). Id put The Cranberries with the likes of Boomtown Rats, Horslips, The Frames, Snow Patrol etc very succesful Irish bands but didnt make it mega big

Love Linger, Zombie,Dreams (real nostalgic reeling in the years type songs).

This is a good from them as well

intresting irish music fact. Meath is the birthplace of Robin McAuley who has fronted rock superstars Survivor in the past (2006-11) among other bands in the US rock scene
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_McAuley

That salvation song is just a really annoying woman shouting salvation salvation over and over. It's such a bad song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Oh Jesus, damn you for reminding me they ever existed. I think their whole credo was based on spending a few weeks in California one time and they came back thinking they were the Beach Boys during the Pet Sounds era... That whiny stupid voice he put on. Shame on your The Thrills, shame on you.

Yeah, the Thrills' lead singer simply could not sing at all. Listening to him strain his vocal cords was painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Robineen wrote: »
    Yeah, the Thrills' lead singer simply could not sing at all. Listening to him strain his vocal cords was painful.

the lead singer of the Saw Doctors cant sing live too

Robineen wrote: »

He put on such a strong American accent too. And the way they dressed... Every single thing about them was just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Zombie is worshiped in Asian countries especially Thailand.

It's quite strange.

Ode to my family isn't a bad tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Oh Jesus, damn you for reminding me they ever existed. I think their whole credo was based on spending a few weeks in California one time and they came back thinking they were the Beach Boys during the Pet Sounds era... That whiny stupid voice he put on. Shame on your The Thrills, shame on you.

Shoite music.

Tubridy was a great fan.

And there was another cheesy American sounding oufit that had a rip off of the Mork and Mindy theme tune that he really digged!!

Could have been the same crowd, the old memory's not what it used to be.

Shoite music.

Tubridy was a great fan.

And there was another cheesy American sounding oufit that had a rip off of the Mork and Mindy theme tune that he really digged!!

Could have been the same crowd, the old memory's not what it used to be.

I'm singing the Mork and Mindy theme tune in my head now wondering how the f*ck that could be turned into any type of pop song!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lost any respect for them when the lead singer build the monstrosity soon christened "Dolly's Folly" in West Kerry. I took a lot of pleasure out of learning that the expensive, non native shrubs she planted in the gardens were scoffed by native sheep.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/grey0beard/2467768755

Lost any respect for them when the lead singer build the monstrosity soon christened "Dolly's Folly" in West Kerry. I took a lot of pleasure out of learning that the expensive, non native shrubs she planted in the gardens were scoffed by native sheep.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/grey0beard/2467768755

I forgot about that. Any time I try and criticise one off housing on boards people don't understand why I'd have a problem with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Not much of a fan but I have a soft spot for Dreams. Catchy tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Can't stand their music. Her voice goes through me.
    JupiterKid wrote: »

After that, it went pear shaped. And from what I've heard Ms O'Riordan is not the most pleasant of people to deal with.

Yes my Father worked with them and said the same.

I'm singing the Mork and Mindy theme tune in my head now wondering how the f*ck that could be turned into any type of pop song!

Whatever Happened To Corey Haim, that's it.

Middle eight, IIRC.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yes my Father worked with them and said the same.

Inspiration for...

My faaaaaader
    My faaaaaader
    He loiked me
    Does anyone care?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd say The Thrills have that honour.

Had the misfortune of seeing them live once. "We're the focking thrills" was how they opened the show. Awful band.

Whatever Happened To Corey Haim, that's it.

Middle eight, IIRC.

AGH. Didn't need to remember that song :(((((

The Thrills sounded like an Irish band singing to their English landlord

Just don't go back to Big...sur...

haha, I'm really enjoying all this hate for the Thrills. There's probably some long haired muppet in flares that used to be in the band reading this now and crying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Her accent is woeful enough but when she starts doing that yodelling thing...

Wouldn't sound out of place in one of those Joyce bare knuckle feud videos.

Got a soft spot for Linger though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I'll just leave this comment here to linger for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I liked the Cranberries in their day and think their first two albums were very good.

Thing is threads like this no matter what musician/band/artist it is about will always result in people posting how crap the music is/was.

Saw a post somewhere last year on a newspaper comments section saying David Bowie hadn't a note in his head.

Saw another one on boards a few days ago saying The Beatles had no talent.

Some people shouldn't be allowed access to the internet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd never read the words to that John Lennon sing before. Christ almighty.

I still think dreams was a cracking tune though

Her accent is woeful enough but when she starts doing that yodelling thing...

Wouldn't sound out of place in one of those Joyce bare knuckle feud videos.

Got a soft spot for Linger though.

Yeah, Linger is a song, a classic and whatever about what followed, that one was excellent and they never repeated that touch of genius.

Most artists don't even attain it, so kudos to them for that one gem.

The Thrills sounded like an Irish band singing to their English landlord

Just don't go back to Big...sur...

Danny O Reilly has as every bit as woeful a voice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They were kind of riding on that short lived wave of the UK thinking Ireland was kind of cool (or maybe it was just Chris Evans), and not just bombs and hate, which was the only reason we'd been in the news for decades. Plus they were nice to look at (especially Jim!).

They were riding on the fact that they were rides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Dolores was more or less neglecting her kids and starting to become physically abusive.
    The husband had to go to court in Canada to have her removed from the family home.
    The kids will happily see/speak on the phone to Dolores mother but not Dolores.
    Sad thing is Dolores not too bothered about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

My so called life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Jesus, whatever about slagging their music, delving into the woman's private life and her relationship with her kids is a bit much, no?

Advertisement