Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Question of Ethics...

• 28-01-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Here's a couple of questions:

Is it ethical for a counsellor or therapist to claim that they are providing CBT when in fact they either

a. do not have a CBT-specific training or qualification?
    b. have a CBT qualification, but it is not one that is recognised by either of the main CBT professional bodies (i.e. CBT Ireland - formerly NACBT, or the IABCP)?

Is it ethical for an organisation like IACP to allow counsellors and therapists to claim they provide CBT in the absence of a recognised qualification?

Would it be ethical if counsellors and therapists to claim they use a CBT-informed approach, rather than claiming to do actual CBT?

It would be interesting to hear people's views. Even if you take a different approach yourself, how delighted are you at hearing unqualified or underqualified therapists claiming to use your approach?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Misrepresentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Here's a couple of questions:

Is it ethical for a counsellor or therapist to claim that they are providing CBT when in fact they either

a. do not have a CBT-specific training or qualification?
    b. have a CBT qualification, but it is not one that is recognised by either of the main CBT professional bodies (i.e. CBT Ireland - formerly NACBT, or the IABCP)?

Is it ethical for an organisation like IACP to allow counsellors and therapists to claim they provide CBT in the absence of a recognised qualification?

Would it be ethical if counsellors and therapists to claim they use a CBT-informed approach, rather than claiming to do actual CBT?

It would be interesting to hear people's views. Even if you take a different approach yourself, how delighted are you at hearing unqualified or underqualified therapists claiming to use your approach?

Unethical yes!!

CBT informed, would be more appropriate, if the person had some training, some modules on their degree and were under the supervision of a CBT supervisor, then I would be ok with the informed part. However, just in the general sense, not working with severe symptoms!!

I'm no fan of IACP, I'd be of the opinion that if reg comes in, all these counselling bodies should be disbanded and brought in under one new body

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

dar100 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of IACP, I'd be of the opinion that if reg comes in, all these counselling bodies should be disbanded and brought in under one new body

Too many egos is what I've heard. :/

Advertisement