Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather report abbreviations

Options
  • 28-01-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me decipher the weather report attached, friend of mine wants to know the sea conditions and weather for the night of the 29th March 1917 for the Shannon Estuary as part of research for an article. The following is an extract from a Met Office Uk report for the previous 24 hours for Valentia from 30th March 1917.
    What do the Morning, Afternoon and Night abbreviations mean?

Any links or help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Wrong file attached, correct one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me decipher the weather report attached, friend of mine wants to know the sea conditions and weather for the night of the 29th March 1917 for the Shannon Estuary as part of research for an article. The following is an extract from a Met Office Uk report for the previous 24 hours for Valentia from 30th March 1917.
    What do the Morning, Afternoon and Night abbreviations mean?

Any links or help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

What an interesting document!
    I'm pretty certain that they're using the Beaufort code system.
    If you read down through This it will help you to begin to decipher it.
    There's also some good information on the Armagh Observatory archive site too.

Happy Decoding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Thanks Lumi,

Will have go now. Took a while to find the info i needed on the Metoffice uk site but found the easiest way was to search the site by year as follows by typing the following into google-

1918 site:digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk

So just change the year from 1918 to whatever is needed in the above.

https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk/archive/sdb%3AdeliverableUnit%7C029ca623-dfbd-4d25-8bb5-e42d6f62e17b/

Hope it helps someone else.

Regards

Advertisement