Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail Voting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

abakan wrote: »
    Just looking through Dail voting and find it very hard to break down into simple consumable language for general public.

Do they make it difficult on purpose?

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/($vVotesByDateSortedDail)?openview&count=-1&collapseview

Seems pretty clear to me. It gives details of the Bill being voted on, the numbers who voted for and against, and which way individual TDs voted. What are you having difficulty with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

As I understand it, the Scenario is usually:
    - There's a vote on something (like a law, an act, a motion etc)
    - TDs turn up to the BIG room to vote
    - Well.. except the Ceann Comhairle (Speaker / Chairperson) who is a TD but does not vote
    - Each TD in the room gets to press a button (usually Yes/Tá or No/Níl)
    - If there are more Yes/Tá votes, the thing happens
    - If there are more No/Níl votes, the thing does not happen
    - If there is a tie, then the Ceann Comhairle (Speaker / Chairperson) then gets to vote (called the casting vote)

Thems the rules I know about.
    There can be other unoffical stuff like:
    - one TD from one team agrees with one TD from the opposing team not to show up and vote.. cos their votes would cancel anyway
    - one TD doesn't show up cos they're down the Dail pub on the lash and then their team lose and so their team gives them dirty looks at the next tean booze up etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I get the layout - see what is voted on and how each member votes - That I get.

I want to put the voted in simple english that the children in class can understand, allow them to vote and then see the voting record against the member of the parties.

As the votes are not in a format that is easy presentable for the class - it will take a little work on my part to break it down simply for them to understand what is voted on.

Also - I see it isnt the most up to date site - seems a few days behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Most of those votes are on amendments (possibly to amendments already voted on, which were probably amendments to previous versions) and are effectively meaningless for your purposes (if I understand your second post correctly - to show schoolchildren how the voting process works?)

I went back one week to see if I could find an actual bill/thing being voted on, and my eyes glazed over I'm afraid. Life's just too short!

Maybe try to find a budget day vote where the finance bill was voted on? I think that's a straightforward enough one, where they put forward the finance bill and they all say yea or nay.

(Or maybe I've completely misunderstood whatever it is you're after, in which case apologies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I get the layout - see what is voted on and how each member votes - That I get.

I want to put the voted in simple english that the children in class can understand, allow them to vote and then see the voting record against the member of the parties.

As the votes are not in a format that is easy presentable for the class - it will take a little work on my part to break it down simply for them to understand what is voted on.

Also - I see it isnt the most up to date site - seems a few days behind.

When the original Bills are published, they are sometimes accompanied by an Explanatory Memorandum which summarises the individual sections of the Bill in simpler language (that's the case for Finance Bills anyway). Maybe that would help with what you're trying to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Yes - alot of those votes are not applicable for what I would like to do.

Thanks all for the guidance, I'm a little more enlightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

At the link you posted for example..
    clicking on the '+' beside '19/01/2017', then 'Full details of the vote', then 'Show voting details per member' shows who voted on what

It's only by the Yes/Tá or No/Níl that I mentioned earlier. It's usually along party lines though.

For readability.. Citizens Information Board gives fairly straight forward explanations of most things but takes a while to get done as they also have to go through the legal jargon: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

It's hard to read as it's law language.. as in.. stuff that can and does be brought up in court. Judges have to take it very strictly so usually it's written to cater to that. So if the politican screw up and make it a bit loose but easy to read then someone can go to court and screw em.

Advertisement