Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Badly sprained ankle

Options
  • 27-01-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Booked a ski holiday a few weeks ago for ; Feb.

On Monday badly sprained my ankle. Have been on crutches since.

Any exercises, strapping etc that I need to get/do? Is there ski specific ankle straps I could get?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rest, elevation and medication are crucial ASAP after i happened. Hope you swa doc and possibly got an x-ray. Wouldn't exercise it without seeing a physio. The boot supports and immobilises the ankle so shouldn't need a strap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you got holiday insurance?

If it's a bad sprain, no way will you be able to control skis in a weeks time, I'd be looking at money back options tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    Booked a ski holiday a few weeks ago for ; Feb.

On Monday badly sprained my ankle. Have been on crutches since.

Any exercises, strapping etc that I need to get/do? Is there ski specific ankle straps I could get?

Thanks

Last thing you need to do is exercises (speaking as a non physio, of course) ! Go to the chemist and see if they have the neoprene supports - with some injuries the recovery time with them can be remarkable. Rest is your friend, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

A bit of cross country skiing might be in order, on a flattish course. Otherwise stick to the bunny slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

It's not until 20th Feb. Just going to take my time and see how it feels.

Hopefully I can ski! So disappointed if I can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Remember you have damaged sensors in the ankle ligament as well as structure.

So you will need to relearn certain amount of balance and where foot is in space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Go to a physio

Got it X-rayed Wasn't broken. Resting it for the last week. Yeah it seems loose, bruised half way up my calf too.

I'll to go to physio tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Seeing Chartered Physio or registered Osteopath, they can give you a guide as to which rehab needed/possible at this stage, without seeing it, all our suggestions are shooting n the dark. Hope you get to ski.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If its that bruised you have torn lots of ligaments I would say (Ive done both ankles a few times). Hope doc has you on prescription inflammatories. Never got mine seen to properly and regret it, def weaker ankles because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Hope you managed to get to a Physio. It depends on which ligaments are damaged, how badly and different people can recover quicker than others. Just to give you my experience, the same thing happened to me approx 6 years ago - 4 weeks before my ski trip I tore ligaments playing 5 a side. It was a recurring injury and was generally 6-7 weeks before I was back in action. Went for quite a bit of Physio in the build up, where she made efforts to reduce swelling, I took anti inflammatories, plenty of icing and did exercises to strengthen and improve balance (wobble board etc).

If it's any consolation I got through the ski trip fine, I was a bit wary that I probably didn't have the same level of control as normal so took it easy. I realised you don't particularly use your ankles all that much and they're well supported in the boots. However you'll have to assess it yourself with the help of your Physio, take it handy and don't put yourself at risk of a worse injury.

No point in using an ankle brace, won't fit under the boot or would be very uncomfortable if it did! Get your Physio to show you how to tape it up properly with sports tape. But to be honest the boot should give more than enough support.

Went to the physio. I've done alot of damage to my achilles and a bit of damage to a ligament.

Can walk fine but anything more than that and it hurts. Still swollen.

I'm just going to have to see how the ankle feels closer to time. Looking at other non ski related activities, plenty to do.

Don't want to risk doing even more damage to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

That's a real bummer. Commiserations. Hope you get to ski.

Advertisement