Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The reality

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Visited the <snip> today. Some lovely dogs but all but 2 were not suitable for small children. Had a bit of a chat with staff. It was nice to see the kids with the dogs. One of the staff there had her own dog with her a shih tzu bichon cross, I fell in love! She was such a placid little thing too. I think I definitely am drawn more towards small dogs. And thinking a puppy or young dog would probably be best. Ive joined some rescue sites on facebook too so would love to see a little shih tzu or similar come up. Cant help but melt over the likes of maltese too! Though I doubt there would be many of those to rescue!

Not sure if it has previously been mentioned, but keep in mind that often non-shed type breeds (like a Shih Tzu and Maltese) come with a need to head to the groomers every 8-12 weeks or so, especially as a knotty dog can be a grumpy dog, and you don't want that if you have small kids. That can be about €50 a pop for a good groomer, just thought I'd mention. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Actually, a rescue I volunteer with is JUST after asking about a foster home for a 5 month old Maltese-Bichon cross ;) They'd be a bit far for you, but they come into rescue a lot more than you'd think!

Oh wow Id jump at her! Are they in or around Dublin?

VonVix wrote: »
    Not sure if it has previously been mentioned, but keep in mind that often non-shed type breeds (like a Shih Tzu and Maltese) come with a need to head to the groomers every 8-12 weeks or so, especially as a knotty dog can be a grumpy dog, and you don't want that if you have small kids. That can be about €50 a pop for a good groomer, just thought I'd mention. :o

Yep definitely something to think of. Can grooming be done yourself though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Oh wow Id jump at her! Are they in or around Dublin?

Far side of Cavan (closer to Monaghan). They generally wouldn't do fostering too far away, but I could mail you the rescue if you'd like to express interest?

Far side of Cavan (closer to Monaghan). They generally wouldn't do fostering too far away, but I could mail you the rescue if you'd like to express interest?

Might be a bit far but yes if you could mail me the rescue that would be great, thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yep definitely something to think of. Can grooming be done yourself though?

Absolutely you can, but I'd highly recommend learning from a professional first, especially when it comes to grooming a dog's head and learning how to safely trim hair around the delicate eye and ear areas. Muttugly run short courses for dog owners to learn the basics.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I adopted a dog 2 weeks ago.

We went to the shelter to adopt a puppy that we were all falling in love with (I have four children - 17,8,5 and 3) And I was prepared for the upheaval a puppy would bring to the house.

Anyway we walked 2 puppies and decided on one, our hearts set for him completely. But then I walked over to the field to take a look again at the collie puppy we wanted and there looking up at me was this gorgeous little fella with big brown eyes and a very bushy waggy tail.

I asked the refuge owner about him she told me he was five and because of this was constantly passed over. I ended up taking him for a walk and really took to him.

As I was telling the refuge he was our second choice as the refuge were unsure the collie puppy was a good fit for us he jumped into my car and wagged his tail. He wouldn't get out! The refuge owner told me people would take him for a walk but then they would go home with a different dog and he would be disappointed.

I decided there and then to take him. The refuge decided to let us bring him home so not to disappoint him again and would do the home check the following day. Because we weren't expecting to bring home a dog that day we had to go to the pet shop.

Long story I know. But we all wanted a puppy and now have a more mature dog. I haven't had one accident in the house with him, he is placid with the kids and is super friendly and loving. A few small issues like barking at other dogs and constantly looking for scraps but it is nothing compared to a puppy. It's like he has always been here. No crying either at night when we go to bed. He is even leaving the cat alone which was a big worry for me.

So my point is maybe you should consider an older dog. They are such an easy fit mostly.

Enjoy whatever dog or puppy you get though!

Deer wrote: »
    he jumped into my car and wagged his tail. He wouldn't get out! The refuge owner told me people would take him for a walk but then they would go home with a different dog and he would be disappointed.

I decided there and then to take him.

I won't cry. I won't cry!.................dammit!

I adopted a dog 2 weeks ago.

We went to the shelter to adopt a puppy that we were all falling in love with (I have four children - 17,8,5 and 3) And I was prepared for the upheaval a puppy would bring to the house.

Anyway we walked 2 puppies and decided on one, our hearts set for him completely. But then I walked over to the field to take a look again at the collie puppy we wanted and there looking up at me was this gorgeous little fella with big brown eyes and a very bushy waggy tail.

I asked the refuge owner about him she told me he was five and because of this was constantly passed over. I ended up taking him for a walk and really took to him.

As I was telling the refuge he was our second choice as the refuge were unsure the collie puppy was a good fit for us he jumped into my car and wagged his tail. He wouldn't get out! The refuge owner told me people would take him for a walk but then they would go home with a different dog and he would be disappointed.

I decided there and then to take him. The refuge decided to let us bring him home so not to disappoint him again and would do the home check the following day. Because we weren't expecting to bring home a dog that day we had to go to the pet shop.

Long story I know. But we all wanted a puppy and now have a more mature dog. I haven't had one accident in the house with him, he is placid with the kids and is super friendly and loving. A few small issues like barking at other dogs and constantly looking for scraps but it is nothing compared to a puppy. It's like he has always been here. No crying either at night when we go to bed. He is even leaving the cat alone which was a big worry for me.

So my point is maybe you should consider an older dog. They are such an easy fit mostly.

Enjoy whatever dog or puppy you get though!

Oh thats so lovely Im so happy for your dog. See Im not set on a puppy at all and would love to rescue an older dog but its the safety issue with the kids Im worried about (especially our toddler) Im worried with an older dog we wont know her history and what if theres an issue there in her past that even the rescue dont know about. How is your 3 yr old with the dog?

Oh thats so lovely Im so happy for your dog. See Im not set on a puppy at all and would love to rescue an older dog but its the safety issue with the kids Im worried about (especially our toddler) Im worried with an older dog we wont know her history and what if theres an issue there in her past that even the rescue dont know about. How is your 3 yr old with the dog?

If an older dog has been in foster for even just a few weeks, they will be very familiar with the dog's history. Very little over the course of 3 or 4 weeks in a house with young, screaming children that doesn't happen on at least a bi-daily basis (coming from someone with two under 3 :D ). You also have absolutely no guarantee that a puppy, once grown, won't find something the kids do not to their liking, like a badly placed scream in their ear, scooching off the couch and accidentally standing on them, throwing a toy that hits them instead of the floor, etc.
    What I can guarantee you (although if trained correctly, it wont last forever) is that a puppy will 100% bite all of your children at least once unless you keep them completely and 100% separated. Your toddler could develop a dislike very quickly. I got my rescue collie at 4 months old and my eldest was the same age. She got quite a few well-intended puppy nips and at 2.5 years, you can still see she is not nearly as comfortable with him as my youngest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

My three year old is just turned three so he stillness the mentality of a two year old if that makes sense! He is a bit jealous. There is definitely a bit of a dynamic with the dog and the three year old but nothing serious. I am keeping a constant eye on the two. Leaving them in a room together doesnt happen anyway as both of them follow me around.

My little fella doesn't know the meaning of gentle so I'm rewarding him when he is gentle and am rewarding the dog for being patient but they are keeping away from each other now. I put the dog out when the kids have food.

The shelter probably won't give you an animal anyway if there is a sniff of nervousness with children but I totally get where you are coming from. That's why he was going to be second choice. I was pots about him but I would have gone with the pup but he took the choice from me.

The shelter I got him from will leave you take a dog for a week to see how you get on. Maybe that could be an option.

My three year old is just turned three so he stillness the mentality of a two year old if that makes sense! He is a bit jealous. There is definitely a bit of a dynamic with the dog and the three year old but nothing serious. I am keeping a constant eye on the two. Leaving them in a room together doesnt happen anyway as both of them follow me around.

My little fella doesn't know the meaning of gentle so I'm rewarding him when he is gentle and am rewarding the dog for being patient but they are keeping away from each other now. I put the dog out when the kids have food.

The shelter probably won't give you an animal anyway if there is a sniff of nervousness with children but I totally get where you are coming from. That's why he was going to be second choice. I was pots about him but I would have gone with the pup but he took the choice from me.

The shelter I got him from will leave you take a dog for a week to see how you get on. Maybe that could be an option.

Deer would you mind pm ing me the name of the shelter? Its a great idea to take a dog for a week or two and see how you get on

If an older dog has been in foster for even just a few weeks, they will be very familiar with the dog's history. Very little over the course of 3 or 4 weeks in a house with young, screaming children that doesn't happen on at least a bi-daily basis (coming from someone with two under 3 :D ). You also have absolutely no guarantee that a puppy, once grown, won't find something the kids do not to their liking, like a badly placed scream in their ear, scooching off the couch and accidentally standing on them, throwing a toy that hits them instead of the floor, etc.
    What I can guarantee you (although if trained correctly, it wont last forever) is that a puppy will 100% bite all of your children at least once unless you keep them completely and 100% separated. Your toddler could develop a dislike very quickly. I got my rescue collie at 4 months old and my eldest was the same age. She got quite a few well-intended puppy nips and at 2.5 years, you can still see she is not nearly as comfortable with him as my youngest!

See that worries me. When you say the puppy will definitely bite the kids do you mean a little nip or a proper bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

See that worries me. When you say the puppy will definitely bite the kids do you mean a little nip or a proper bite?

Puppy teeth are like little needles and they're also just learning bite inhibition or how hard will be acceptable. A pup's mouth is their main way to touch and explore. Between one thing and another, excitement, getting fallen on, pulled at or having their eyes/ears etc examined by little fingers, child and dog will likely nip each other a few times as they learn how to get on and where boundaries lie. No badness on either side and generally very little harm done as long as they're always supervised or separated.

Older dogs will have lost the needles and should have more established bite inhibition and patience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Be under no illusions Carla Ancient Fishnet, most pups will bite and bite and bite and bite. Relentlessly. It's what they do. They don't mean any harm, they're only playing, and it is actually a critical part of their behavioural development.
    But their puppy teeth are like needles, and they really hurt. The teeth get easily entangled in clothing, leaving the pup hanging out of trouser legs, sleeves, shoelaces and scarves long after the pup has tried to let go.
    Now, whilst an adult or older child can deal with all of this, and indeed rationalise it, a toddler or younger child can't. Pup bites, child screams, pup is highly reinforced for eliciting a scream, waving arms, child running away... There is nothing a pup loves more than chasing a screaming, flailing, retreating toy. And so, the pup becomes more inclined to approach the toddler with divilment in mind.
    So, you end up with a child who, in each and every incident, is feeling the pain of a playful puppy bite, and who tries to get away from the pup, but can't because the pup keeps chasing them, or getting their teeth tangled in the toddler's clothing. Many puppies are relentless with the biting, and need to be taught gently and consistently how to not use their teeth when they're interacting with humans. This is a huge ask of a toddler... An unreasonable ask.
    This is why you're being advised by many experienced owners and fosterers not to get a pup, because you've got not one, but two very young kids.
    I think I've already said it in this thread, I work in dog training, and one of the most common scenarios I'm asked to help with is how to stop the new pup biting the kids because the kids are now terrified of the pup. As far as the kids are concerned, there is a land-shark wielding a reign of terror in their home. I'll be honest, it's a very sad sight to see... Puppy approaching child, child recoils, crying. Unfortunately, I've seen this hundreds and hundreds of times. It's without doubt a primary reason why pups are surrendered so often.
    There is a monumental difference between a pup of 10 weeks, and a young dog of 6 months when it comes to biting. By that stage, they've done most of their puppyish bitey messing, they have their not-so-tangly and sharp adult teeth, and their brains have turned an important behavioural corner, particularly if their original owner put any sort of work into them.
    You'll know pretty quickly how a young adult dog feels about your children by its disposition towards them. Also, a few simple tests... Loop your fingers under the dog's chest, just behind the front legs, and slowly and gently raise the dog so his front feet are just off the floor. If he wriggles and struggles without giving up after 10-20 seconds, this is a reasonably good indication that this dog might be a bit sassy to have around kids. If he struggles a bit but then relaxes, it indicates that the pup doesn't like what's happening but is willing to tolerate it... Which is good. If there's no struggling at all, it's likely that this is quite a relaxed dog that has no huge handling issues.
    Also, have the rescue person give the dog a bowl of food. As the dog is eating, approach it, and lean over the dog. If you see the slightest sign of freezing or tension, do not choose this dog. What you want to see here is, when you lean over the dog, it looks at you with relaxed features, and says "oh hi! I'm eating! Want some?" :o
    On a similar vein, have the rescue person give the dog a chewy treat, something big enough that it can't devour it in a couple of chomps. Again, approach the dog, lean over it, and slowly reach out to the dog (without attempting to take the chew). If the dog takes the chew and skulks away, if he places head or paws over it to stop you touching it, if he freezes and looks at you with whites of eyes showing and without moving his head, don't take this dog. But if he looks at you with a big open, happy face and a loosely wagging tail, you've a fair idea that this is a nice, friendly dog.
    To be safe in the above scenarios, have someone holding the dog on-lead on the opposite side to your approach, so that they can stop the dog from lunging at you if the worst comes to the worst. I will also point out that these little tests are probably more reliable in dogs from 5-6 months onwards than in pups, though if I saw a pup guarding its food or treats, I'd run for the hills.
    So if you're hell-bent on a youngster, why not go for something 6-12 months old? There are thousands of dogs in this age group in rescue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

DBB wrote: »
    Be under no illusions swagger, most pups will bite and bite and bite and bite. Relentlessly. It's what they do. They don't mean any harm, they're only playing, and it is actually a critical part of their behavioural development.
    But their puppy teeth are like needles, and they really hurt. The teeth get easily entangled in clothing, leaving the pup hanging out of trouser legs, sleeves, shoelaces and scarves long after the pup has tried to let go.
    Now, whilst an adult or older child can deal with all of this, and indeed rationalise it, a toddler or younger child can't. Pup bites, child screams, pup is highly reinforced for eliciting a scream, waving arms, child running away... There is nothing a pup loves more than chasing a screaming, flailing, retreating toy. And so, the pup becomes more inclined to approach the toddler with divilment in mind.
    So, you end up with a child who, in each and every incident, is feeling the pain of a playful puppy bite, and who tries to get away from the pup, but can't because the pup keeps chasing them, or getting their teeth tangled in the toddler's clothing. Many puppies are relentless with the biting, and need to be taught gently and consistently how to not use their teeth when they're interacting with humans. This is a huge ask of a toddler... An unreasonable ask.
    This is why you're being advised by many experienced owners and fosterers not to get a pup, because you've got not one, but two very young kids.
    I think I've already said it in this thread, I work in dog training, and one of the most common scenarios I'm asked to help with is how to stop the new pup biting the kids because the kids are now terrified of the pup. As far as the kids are concerned, there is a land-shark wielding a reign of terror in their home. I'll be honest, it's a very sad sight to see... Puppy approaching child, child recoils, crying. Unfortunately, I've seen this hundreds and hundreds of times. It's without doubt a primary reason why pups are surrendered so often.
    There is a monumental difference between a pup of 10 weeks, and a young dog of 6 months when it comes to biting. By that stage, they've done most of their puppyish bitey messing, they have their not-so-tangly and sharp adult teeth, and their brains have turned an important behavioural corner, particularly if their original owner put any sort of work into them.
    You'll know pretty quickly how a young adult dog feels about your children by its disposition towards them. Also, a few simple tests... Loop your fingers under the dog's chest, just behind the front legs, and slowly and gently raise the dog so his front feet are just off the floor. If he wriggles and struggles without giving up after 10-20 seconds, this is a reasonably good indication that this dog might be a bit sassy to have around kids. If he struggles a bit but then relaxes, it indicates that the pup doesn't like what's happening but is willing to tolerate it... Which is good. If there's no struggling at all, it's likely that this is quite a relaxed dog that has no huge handling issues.
    Also, have the rescue person give the dog a bowl of food. As the dog is eating, approach it, and lean over the dog. If you see the slightest sign of freezing or tension, do not choose this dog. What you want to see here is, when you lean over the dog, it looks at you with relaxed features, and says "oh hi! I'm eating! Want some?" :o
    On a similar vein, have the rescue person give the dog a chewy treat, something big enough that it can't devour it in a couple of chomps. Again, approach the dog, lean over it, and slowly reach out to the dog (without attempting to take the chew). If the dog takes the chew and skulks away, if he places head or paws over it to stop you touching it, if he freezes and looks at you with whites of eyes showing and without moving his head, don't take this dog. But if he looks at you with a big open, happy face and a loosely wagging tail, you've a fair idea that this is a nice, friendly dog.
    To be safe in the above scenarios, have someone holding the dog on-lead on the opposite side to your approach, so that they can stop the dog from lunging at you if the worst comes to the worst. I will also point out that these little tests are probably more reliable in dogs from 5-6 months onwards than in pups, though if I saw a pup guarding its food or treats, I'd run for the hills.
    So if you're hell-bent on a youngster, why not go for something 6-12 months old? There are thousands of dogs in this age group in rescue.

Some very good advice in this post but some of it a bit over the top. If someone goes to a rescue looking for a dog they're not necessarily going to get a perfect dog with no bad habits. You're basically saying only take the most placid dog in the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pilly wrote: »
    Some very good advice in this post but some of it a bit over the top. If someone goes to a rescue looking for a dog they're not necessarily going to get a perfect dog with no bad habits. You're basically saying only take the most placid dog in the place?

The OP has no experience training dogs and has young kids so yes they need and ideal world dog who ticks all the right boxes - they do exist.

OP with the greatest of respect you're jumping from pup to young dog, retriever to matleese etc I think you should spend more time deciding what you want rather than rushing in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

tk123 wrote: »
    The OP has no experience training dogs and has young kids so yes they need and ideal world dog who ticks all the right boxes - they do exist.

Fair enough with young kids you have to be very careful. I suppose I just hate the thoughts of all the dogs left in shelters because they're a bit madcap. I got both my dogs from a shelter and both had strange little habits but with love and patience they got out of them.

I suppose I had the luxury of no kids around so more time and less risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Swagger, DBB's tests are brilliant - I'm going to take note of them now. I did notice she said this: "You'll know pretty quickly how a young adult dog feels about your children by its disposition towards them." and it's totally true.

I have one dog that can't stand kids - she hates the noise and running and general unpredictability, and if the kids next door visit she takes herself out of the room until they leave. My other dog LOVES kids (he loves all people, but especially children). He goes bananas if he hears a ball being kicked or children laughing, and my main worry is that he'll knock very little kids over trying to lick them to death. He's a terrier, so can be a bit sharp if people annoy him and I'd never leave him alone with kids, but he is a million times better suited to children than my other dog.

You would know this within 5 minutes of meeting them, never mind the more in depth knowledge a fosterer could have of your prospective dog. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Of course I'm not saying that. My advice is directed at the op, bearing in mind their inexperience, but mostly bearing in mind their very young children.

• Advertisement

He's already expressed enormous concern at dog bites, taking the most placid dog there is the easiest way to reduce the likelihood of a bite.

OP with the greatest of respect you're jumping from pup to young dog, retriever to matleese etc I think you should spend more time deciding what you want rather than rushing in.

I certainly am not rushing in, if I was I would have a dog by now! I posted this thread to learn about the reality of having a dog as I haven't had one yet. Im considering all options and doing my reasearch which is the responsible thing to do. I will not get a dog until I am 100% sure. And I may decide to hold off till kids are older.

DBB wrote: »
    Be under no illusions swagger, most pups will bite and bite and bite and bite. Relentlessly. It's what they do. They don't mean any harm, they're only playing, and it is actually a critical part of their behavioural development.

Thank you some great advice here. Maybe a puppy at this stage might not be a good idea. Im glad I posted this thread as Im getting a lot of real life scenarios which is what I need to hear.

I certainly am not rushing in, if I was I would have a dog by now! I posted this thread to learn about the reality of having a dog as I haven't had one yet. Im considering all options and doing my reasearch which is the responsible thing to do. I will not get a dog until I am 100% sure. And I may decide to hold off till kids are older.

How old is your youngest, Swagger?

How old is your youngest, Swagger?

15 months is youngest, oldest is 5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe "dog watch" at some popular walking spots and suss out different breeds/mixes/sizes ;) and also gauge how the kids react? Or there's usually a dog expo on Paddy's day at the show centre in Cloughran that you could head along to - again you'll see just about everything there with people bringing dogs along.

You could maybe "dog watch" at some popular walking spots and suss out different breeds/mixes/sizes ;) and also gauge how the kids react? Or there's usually a dog expo on Paddy's day at the show centre in Cloughran that you could head along to - again you'll see just about everything there with people bringing dogs along.

I am on dog watch every day! Its so hard to not just go get one but that would be really irresponsible. I almost ran away with a gorgeous little shih tzu yesterday belonging to staff at a shelter I visited. I will definitely look into that show, we would love that.

15 months is youngest, oldest is 5

15 months is definitely a tough one. If you could even hold out until they were 2, they are much easier to reason with at that age!

Thanks for all the replies on here. I've just been googling puppy bit child and I have to say it was a bit of a wake up. Puppy & 15 month old, not a good idea.! Well not for an inexperienced owner anyway. So idea parked for now. I will consider an older dog at some stage but will wait till kids are a bit older and more able to understand the right way to behave around a dog. For now will have to make do with admiring from afar!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies on here. I've just been googling puppy bit child and I have to say it was a bit of a wake up. Puppy & 15 month old, not a good idea.! Well not for an inexperienced owner anyway. So idea parked for now. I will consider an older dog at some stage but will wait till kids are a bit older and more able to understand the right way to behave around a dog. For now will have to make do with admiring from afar!

Can I just say right now, thank you so much for being such a level-headed, responsible potential future dog-owner, for listening and taking advice on Boards while making your own wishes and opinions heard politely and I am sure you and your kids will make a younger or older dog very, very happy whenever you do decide!
    We don't see enough of people like you on here!

Advertisement