Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is engineering maths?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm only doing ordinary level in the LC but I'm finding it alright. How much more difficult is the maths in say, Electronic Engineering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Mantis1234 wrote: »
    I'm only doing ordinary level in the LC but I'm finding it alright. How much more difficult is the maths in say, Electronic Engineering?

Very difficult but doable with lots of hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Its difficult but with a bit of hard work its OK. I studied electronic engineering and found the maths OK, you need to like what you are doing or it will become very difficult very quick. Its a great subject to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Its difficult but with a bit of hard work its OK. I studied electronic engineering and found the maths OK, you need to like what you are doing or it will become very difficult very quick. Its a great subject to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Eng maths is tough, but I found you get a lot of help if you put the work in and turn up for classes. Pay attention to the lectures, they will point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It might be better to do a more future proof subject like electrical engineering rather than electronics unless you are prepared to go all the way to a B eng or Masters as there is very little Electronics Jobs at junior level left in this country.

It is possible to do the maths related parts of an engineering degree from a pass maths level but it will always be a struggle and the Honours students will always have the advantage in what is becoming a very competitive and time focussed field.

It is true that if you devote the time and effort, attend ALL lectures and tutorials and be honest about your understanding and rate of progress with your lecturers and attend all offered extra tutorials or maths clubs offered for weaker maths students you will prevail but the faster students will always be ahead of the game. You will need to bring some other advantage to your work such as practical skills, mostly prototyping and product development and interpersonal communications skills etc which the "math wizards" may lack. You need to be ahead in some aspect of the business of Electronics.

Methods, technologies and systems change so fast in this field that it is difficult to compensate for weakness in a particular subject by devoting more time to it than an Honours student needs to, by the time you may have acquired the needed new skills things have changed again and you need to acquire even more new skills at an ever faster rate.

I would obtain all the advice I can from proven practitioners in the field and guage my suitability to go all the way to a masters before committing to a degree in Electronics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement