Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGuinness Replacement

Options
  • 20-01-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭

So who will replace Martin McGuinness?
    It will be interesting to see if SF will make a leap here and go for somebody like Michelle O'Neill and set the party up to have a female leader in both jurisdictions. Assuming Mary L. O'Donnell gets the role in the south.

I was reading a rumour on FB that Adams would move back to the North to finish his career and leave Mary L. O'Donnell a clear run in the south. A bit too fantastical to believe imo. But who knows. It's been a strange year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I think Martin o'millionaire or michelle o'neill would be the best choice. They aren't tainted my terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think there is a huge difference between the North and the South in respect to the 'terrorism' aspect.
    It doesn't create the same 'outrage' (some would say faux outrage) in the North as it does in the south.
    There isn't the same story after story, climb to the high moral ground as there is in the South.
    That is because SF are already in power, there is no fear or dislike of the prospect. Nobody cared what McG was involved in.
    So I wouldn't think the 'taint' will matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,877 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There doesnt seem to be talk of a process discussing how this is done. Todays indo seems to think Adams wants to shaft Conor Murphy and coronate Michelle O'Neill

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There doesnt seem to be talk of a process discussing how this is done. Todays indo seems to think Adams wants to shaft Conor Murphy and coronate Michelle O'Neill

I never read anything the indo say about sinn fein. They are so anti sinn fein they just can't be trusted to report fairly on them.

It's decided by the party I was reading somewhere. Did the Undo really use the word 'shaft' and 'coronate'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Máirtín Ó Muilleoir.

Suppose Gerry Kelly is too ground level / old style protest to be considered, but then again that comes with the territory when you live in the sectarian patch work community that is north Belfast.

Looks like it's Michelle O'Neill. According to The Irish News this is almost definite.

I am intrigued by how this will work. I am not convinced she is leadership ready. Time will tell.

Looks like it's Michelle O'Neill. According to The Irish News this is almost definite.

I am intrigued by how this will work. I am not convinced she is leadership ready. Time will tell.

She is quite monotone in her delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Apparently there was a load of fliers handed out with ONeill flanked by Adams and McGuinness so I'd say it's a done deal.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see an election campaign with three female party leaders in main parties.

• Advertisement

O'Neill confirmed as replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Martin Mcguinness emotional about Ian Paisley, funny how things turn out lol.
    Good pick by Sinn Fein, Michelle is a nice person and should work well with the DUP. Ian Paisley Jr should be DUP leader

It's decided by the party I was reading somewhere. Did the Undo really use the word 'shaft' and 'coronate'?

No they didnt but the way this was done to me it seems like a complete backroom deal. Personally I much prefer the democratic way many other parties choose their leaders through one member one vote.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No they didnt but the way this was done to me it seems like a complete backroom deal. Personally I much prefer the democratic way many other parties choose their leaders through one member one vote.

She isn't SF's 'leader', she is their appointment to replace Martin McGuinness if they succeed in the elections and need to appoint either a First or Deputy first minister.

Often seen as 'Leader of Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland' by the media, I don't think that title exists in SF (open to correction on that)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Often seen as 'Leader of Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland' by the media, I don't think that title exists in SF (open to correction on that)

http://www.thejournal.ie/michelle-oneill-northern-ireland-leader-sinn-fein-3200866-Jan2017/?utm_source=facebook_short
    “It’s a big honour for me to be chosen as the new leader in the north,” said the Tyrone native.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I wonder if O'Neill is her married name or maiden name, it would be quite fitting to have the leading Catholic politician with that noble name, I heard she was separated from the husband. She has a brutal accent though, I would rather listen to a Scotch Antrim accent than that Tyrone/Armagh brogue.

She isn't SF's 'leader', she is their appointment to replace Martin McGuinness if they succeed in the elections and need to appoint either a First or Deputy first minister.

She is the SF leader in the assembly

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement