Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White car?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on white cars?
    I've never considered one before as I imagine it would be a nightmare to keep clean, but then I do clean my car very infrequently....

It's just that I seem to be seeing a lot more of them around, so they must be popular. I'm looking into getting a nearly new car and one thing putting me off the best (multiple) examples I've found is that they're white!

I think it can look smart on some cars (not so much on others), including what I'm looking at - but how easy is it to live with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As you say it depends on the particular car. Some pull it off better than others, it probably also depends on the quality of the finish too. Gloss white will cost more but have a better finish than a flat white that manufacturers don't charge extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Silver is the easiest car to live with if you don't want to wash it.

White has been the new black for the last 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Yep, current car is silver! :D

But the ones I'm considering are white.
    Ford charge a small premium for their white, but not as much as metallic colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maroon and white all the way bai!

• Advertisement

OP is there a model you are particularly looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think it really does depend on the car in question OP. It's not a blank canvas that it'll suit all cars.

For me, the Kia Optima looks best in white as does the Volkswagen Tiguan.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It looks well on most VAG cars I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Is white not just the colour of Paddy spec cars? Where the original purchaser wouldn't spend any extra money on the car, as long as it has the new reg plate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think it looks ok on smaller/medium sized cars up to Corolla or Jetta size.
    Not great on bigger saloons like A6, 5 Series, Mondeo Mazda 6 etc.

Big white cars remind me of wedding hire vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

biko wrote: »
    Maroon and white all the way bai!

Galway reg?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

To be honest white hides a multitude of sins. Stone chips and minor marks are less visible. It suits some cars, doesn't suit others. It's a lot easier to keep looking relatively clean than darker colours but it's not going to hide dirt like a silver or beige coloured car. One thing about white is tar can be very noticeable on the paintwork so it requires keeping on top of it.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Is white not just the colour of Paddy spec cars? Where the original purchaser wouldn't spend any extra money on the car, as long as it has the new reg plate. :)

Yeah that was what I was worried about :P
    Don't want to be seen to just have the "cheapest" colour - that's why I was asking for opinions.
    And I'm seeing a lot of newer cars around in white, so was wondering if it was a trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

White a7 with 22" rotas..
    noice.

To be honest white hides a multitude of sins. Stone chips and minor marks are less visible. It suits some cars, doesn't suit others. It's a lot easier to keep looking relatively clean than darker colours but it's not going to hide dirt like a silver or beige coloured car. One thing about white is tar can be very noticeable on the paintwork so it requires keeping on top of it.

Thanks, that's the sort of useful info I was looking for.

For the record, this is what I'm looking at - I actually think it looks alright in white, but was worried about the practicality:
    2016 s-max in white

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yet to see a nice looking white car. I think they always look awful.

Some look better than others, but that's obviously down to the car, not the colour paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    White a7 with 22" rotas..
    noice.

I second this. I'm not a fan of white cars but a mate of mine just brought an A7 in white with Rotas and its a serious looking car.

I think it looks pretty poor on most cars, too, to be honest.

I think a lot of cars just look cheap in white. I associate white with work vans and the likes. There are a handful of cars that pull it off well (as said by another poster, the Kia Optima in white is a runaway winner), but most cars just can't pull it off at all.

But to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Gwynston wrote: »
    Thanks, that's the sort of useful info I was looking for.

For the record, this is what I'm looking at - I actually think it looks alright in white, but was worried about the practicality:
    2016 s-max in white

White makes that look like a Van in my opinion. I'd nearly try and get it in any other colour than white, even the navy that they seem to usually come in that is also pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

An old beaten up 911 carrera 2 in white. Noice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gwynston wrote: »
    Yep, current car is silver! :D

But the ones I'm considering are white.
    Ford charge a small premium for their white, but not as much as metallic colours.

White isn't as easily kept as silver, we have white cars and vans at work and they're always dirty looking.

There are a handful of cars that pull it off well (as said by another poster, the Kia Optima in white is a runaway winner), but most cars just can't pull it off at all.

Might be something about the far east. Type-R Hondas would typically be white as that was the traditional colour of the Japanese Honda racing teams (in the way that Italian teams were red, British were green etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Looks great on high spec'd cars and small sporty hatches. The car needs to look a bit bling - nice wheels, colour coding, etc. I think it suits modern shaped cars very well - cars with sharp lines and creases down the flanks. Hence why it suits modern VAG's so well imo. On older more blobby shaped cars it doesn't look anywhere near as good.

On base spec cars it'll look crap.

And as previously mentioned, don't worry about maintaining it. Aside from tar spots, White is easier to mind than most other colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I have had cars of all colors and find the white the easier to keep clean, had a white A3 Saloon which i really liked, have changed to a White A6. Silver is also an easy car to keep clean but show up scratches and scraps much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Buying site Carwow has guide to various colours choices in UK for makes and model. Colours are a personal choice but might be of some use. Here's the one for S max.https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-s-max-colours-0479

oscar2 wrote: »
    Buying site Carwow has guide to various colours choices in UK for makes and model. Colours are a personal choice but might be of some use. Here's the one for S max.https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-s-max-colours-0479
    Interesting - here's a quote from that page:
    "White consistently tops surveys of most sought-after vehicular hues so, once you want to sell on, a buyer should present themselves quickly."

Obviously everyone on here has their own opinion, but that kind of confirms to me that white seems to be ever more popular. It's just that I'd never considered it before. And even the wife says she doesn't mind it, which is obviously the most important thing... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I spent a lot of time in the Middle East and several other places out in the Far East where just about everybody went for white cars and SUVs, partly to do with the heat and partly because it hid the dust and sand a bit better and I always thought it was a bland colour for a car.

Now we're starting to see more and more of them on all sorts of cars these days and I think it looks really well, especially the glossy White you see on VWs.

I would love be of these...

http://www.automobilesreview.com/gallery/hs-motorsport-vw-scirocco-remis/hs-motorsport-vw-scirocco-remis-01.jpg

Or maybe even one of these...
    http://gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/White-VW-Golf-GTI-Clubsport-8.jpg

They look superb in white but bland in some of the other colours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I agree with a lot of posters. White can look really well or just bland. Mate has an A5 in white and looks great. I very nearly bought a white A6 but got better deal on a black car (heart is broke trying to keep it clean)

I wouldn't be worried about people thinking you just bought the cheapest colour. That would never have even entered my head. If you like it then go for it.

Haven't seen the car your looking at in white but the ford mondeo in white looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Financially fewer people are willing to fork out 600 to 1000k on a metallic colour that you only get to see for a few seconds as you open the door. No one is too bothered. As long as the thing goes and is reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Horrible, especially bigger ones like MPVs ook like fridge freezers FFS.
    In vogue because paint manufacturers supply only a few colours every year, it's gotten back towards Henry Ford with any colour as long as it's black. Early 00's was all silver, much nicer than vanilla white

Advertisement