Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Third Party Classic Car Insurance - Anyone still doing it?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does anyone know if any broker / insurer does Third Party classic car insurance?

I've been told that nobody is doing this anymore due to people taking advantage of the cheap price and using it as their primary vehicle.... The following few I contacted all gave the same answer. I'm not 17, I'm 27 but still doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm third party on two other cars but don't have my own policy. Not having my own policy is the problem.

Do I have to do the most ridiculous thing and by a banger and get a policy on it so I can get a policy on the classic car.

Axa
    Carol Nash
    Chill
    First

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

What do you want to insure?

Is it cheaper to get a second car and then go for a classic policy as an extra?

Please be aware that insurance companies don't insure cars or people, they insure risk

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheSnapperVW

w124man wrote: »
    What do you want to insure?

Is it cheaper to get a second car and then go for a classic policy as an extra?

Please be aware that insurance companies don't insure cars or people, they insure risk
    I want to insure a VW Transporter T2 2L - It's for commercial use max 2/3 days a week if even.

I've been told I can't be insured on it because I don't have my own policy on a car.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I've had my classic insurance with Aig, allienz and axa over the last ten years and never needed another car. my classic has always been my only car and daily driver, but i am limited to 6k miles a year.

Skatedude wrote: »
    I've had my classic insurance with Aig, allienz and axa over the last ten years and never needed another car. my classic has always been my only car and daily driver, but i am limited to 6k miles a year.

That's remarkable, do you mind me asking who you're with now? as if I have a precedent then I might be able to leverage them to getting a quote.

I'm literally going to have to buy a banger to get a policy on it haha, it's actually unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I want to insure a VW Transporter T2 2L - It's for commercial use max 2/3 days a week if even.

I've been told I can't be insured on it because I don't have my own policy on a car.

Any thoughts?

So it's commercial classic insurance, does that policy type even exist?

• Advertisement

As I've found out it does not. Now the problem is just getting insured... without getting a policy and buying a daily driver.

Advertisement