Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jaswill

Hi Guys pretty new to this, at Gville do you need to pass the PCA again to complete your training at the college? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

jaswill wrote: »
    Hi Guys pretty new to this, at Gville do you need to pass the PCA again to complete your training at the college? Thanks

Yes. You will complete the PCA course towards the end of GV afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Yes. You must complete the PCA in your final week of training to graduate. Two shots or you are dismissed. You do plenty of PE throughout the course though so there is no reason to fail it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

majgreen wrote: »
    Yes. You must complete the PCA in your final week of training to graduate. Two shots or you are dismissed. You do plenty of PE throughout the course though so there is no reason to fail it

Would i be correct in saying you have to pass the push pull? If so, does the PE involve stuff that will help with this?

If I remember correctly push pull was removed however the PTI staff weren't over happy wth that decisions (and rightly so, it's important!) so you still do push pull throughout but are not assessed on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

I believe the push/pull is still part of the assessment at GV, meaning you will be required to pass it.

Pretty sure the PI mentioned that during the PCA familiarization.

Question to those who have been through GV:

If you had to redo GV what would you do to prepare yourself?

D4z wrote: »
    Question to those who have been through GV:

If you had to redo GV what would you do to prepare yourself?

Good question. Personally there are a few things I would work on if I were to go back. I imagine everyone would be different though.

1) fitness. You do a lot of it in GV and the better you are the easier you'll cope. It hit me hard when I joined and meant that I was taking longer to complete gym plans outside of lesson time. Get running now at the least. Try weights if possible and just get a head start.

2) revision. Big big tip. Revise a lot. That online material? Learn as much as you can. When you do your first exam at week 2, you'll be thankful. Hand in hand with that is learn a good revision technique that suits you best. Get in the swing early and it'll help when it comes to the late nights and pre-reads.

3) ironing and bulling. If you can, start now. Bulling takes time and if you can practice it will help. Get the right equipment and spend a little extra if you can on your polish, cloths and iron. You'll get more than your money's worth, trust me.

4) Chill out. Sounds strange eh? Do not panic. Do not stress. There are 39 odd other people in your boots too; and hundreds who have gone before you. Your first four weeks will be hell. You will want to quit. You will not sleep much. You will feel like you are learning nothing. It's better to enter with a cool, calm head and take everything one step (and show parade) at a time.

GV was the hardest thing I've ever done. I've loved it and I've hated it. Looking back now, it was kinda fun. Stick together as a squad and you'll carry each other through.

majgreen wrote: »
    Good question. Personally there are a few things I would work on if I were to go back. I imagine everyone would be different though.

1) fitness. You do a lot of it in GV and the better you are the easier you'll cope. It hit me hard when I joined and meant that I was taking longer to complete gym plans outside of lesson time. Get running now at the least. Try weights if possible and just get a head start.

2) revision. Big big tip. Revise a lot. That online material? Learn as much as you can. When you do your first exam at week 2, you'll be thankful. Hand in hand with that is learn a good revision technique that suits you best. Get in the swing early and it'll help when it comes to the late nights and pre-reads.

3) ironing and bulling. If you can, start now. Bulling takes time and if you can practice it will help. Get the right equipment and spend a little extra if you can on your polish, cloths and iron. You'll get more than your money's worth, trust me.

4) Chill out. Sounds strange eh? Do not panic. Do not stress. There are 39 odd other people in your boots too; and hundreds who have gone before you. Your first four weeks will be hell. You will want to quit. You will not sleep much. You will feel like you are learning nothing. It's better to enter with a cool, calm head and take everything one step (and show parade) at a time.

GV was the hardest thing I've ever done. I've loved it and I've hated it. Looking back now, it was kinda fun. Stick together as a squad and you'll carry each other through.

What about in regards to the classroom based stuff - Are there a lot of essays or portfolios etc?

You have one essay to write during GV. Classes are mostly PowerPoint based. Some classes have a practical assessment too and that's when you're required to complete debrief sheets and action plans. Your development portfolio will be hefty by the time you graduate but if you keep on top of it you'll find it's easy to manage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Time for a bump :D

Check the first page for a shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Be careful taking this thread as accurate not because of the posters but because the regime in the college has changed and so anything before jan 17 may not apply 100%

Be careful taking this thread as accurate not because of the posters but because the regime in the college has changed and so anything before jan 17 may not apply 100%

And this is the importance of those successful to come back and give back to the community :)

This thread was started in a time before mobile Internet, iPads and iPhones but still very valid in my opinion.

Didn't mean my comment to reduce it's value, all information is valuable, if you got through the stages you are more than capable to decide what to take on board and what to not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Does the shopping list still apply?

swl33t wrote: »
    Does the shopping list still apply?

I really don't know but still looks as valid now as it did.
    Boots will still need shined, rooms cleaned and uniforms ironed.

Whilst show parades may have gone they will still want recruits to be well turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Nerves2016

Yes. They even make reference to checking the shopping list on boards.ie at induction......they also put together their own little list - its part of page 1

For bulling;

Clean boot with off brush to remove an dirt.

Dry dusting clith remove dust

Damp Sylvet cloth.

1st layer: wrap sylvet cloth around index and middle finger. Dab into polish and cover all leather and do large gentle circles, until bthe boot shines.

2nd layer. Index finger in sylvet cloth and tiny circles until shines. Repeat it until its gleaming. Could take an hour per boot.

I can guarantee you right away it'll be a lot longer than an hour per boot. We'd spend hours per night for weeks on end until they were of a good enough standard! Good opportunity to bond with squad mates though, all sat out in the corridor bulling

Its an hour per boot per night. To have them like glass will take 2 to 3 solid weeks of an hour per boot per night lol

• Advertisement

Its also an easy way to make a few quid if you k ow what you are doing. Get the beeswax out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

I'm actually nervous with what it's going to cost for the shopping list.. anyone have a ball park figure?

Just bought a house and trying to prepare for it so funds are tight... new house and new job all I need is a kid n I've a hat trick!

Amazon amazon amazon

Amazon amazon amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

Wait and discuss items with your room mate on the induction. For the room items split it down the middle on who will buy what etc.

Do we the luxury of having our own shower cubicle or is GV just a line of communal showers?

//Found my answer: The showers are all in the same large room, but each shower unit is completely seperate and has a solid wooden door that can be locked from the inside. You bring in your towel and personal items so your privacy can be maintained at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clanman889

When I got the call it was confirmed to me that the compulsory residential first few weeks at GV are no longer compulsory. Is anyone able to offer any insight into the potential drawbacks of not opting to reside on site at the start as has always been done. I would expect that first and foremost you could quite easily lose out on opportunity to bond with you squad mates etc but anything else to consider like falling behind on work or....?

Perhaps it's a right of passage we shouldn't be skipping. Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Depends really on how much they have changed the programme, but in our first four weeks you needed to live in for the following reasons! Pre reads/ gym workouts/boot bulling-ironing / night time inspections/ bonding/ late nights with classes sometimes running on... In theory you could of course still do these things while not living in but it would be difficult!

FYI this shopping list is a little outdated following the GV review. There is no longer a requirement to bull boots, there are no show parades or room inspections (obviously your room should be kept clean). Also at the induction we were told there are more than enough irons and ironing boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Depends really on how much they have changed the programme, but in our first four weeks you needed to live in for the following reasons! Pre reads/ gym workouts/boot bulling-ironing / night time inspections/ bonding/ late nights with classes sometimes running on... In theory you could of course still do these things while not living in but it would be difficult!

Cheers! Is there anything that does need to be got?

Advertisement