Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Hopefully we here some news in the next coming weeks, it's good to see other newbies here too as well as me. Hopefully it'll make the boards more active

I'm hoping fifth time lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Just keep swimming ....

We'll all get there, took my step dad 6 attempts so if it takes me less i'm gonna rub it in his face lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 theorem

Really cannot wait for the new campaign to start. I dropped out of university recently and have reapplied, but if I get far enough in the campaign with a good AC score then I may take the chance and see if I make it to Garnerville. Have had a wee bout of depression which I'm getting treated for at the minute (medication), would this disqualify me from passing the medical if I am better by that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

theorem wrote: »
    Really cannot wait for the new campaign to start. I dropped out of university recently and have reapplied, but if I get far enough in the campaign with a good AC score then I may take the chance and see if I make it to Garnerville. Have had a wee bout of depression which I'm getting treated for at the minute (medication), would this disqualify me from passing the medical if I am better by that stage?
    Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends"! It will be individually assessed at the medical stage so you will have to go through the process before you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

As said above it really does depend. Have a look at the link below which is the Home Office Guidelines.

My advice is to bring as much information as possible to your medical. If you can get a letter from GP, etc. saying they have no issues and can add further information then all the better.

The medical team can only assess on what info you provide so the more you can give the better.

Good luck!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-recruitment-standards-medical-standards-for-police-recruitment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

I would say if it is a single episode due for a specific reason you would be fine however, if it's ongoing treatment/recurring I think you may encounter some issues at medical. PSNI may be different when it comes to depression due to the firearms.

I believe I remember hearing on the Nolan show about an officer who said he hid his depression from the police as he knew he would have been taken off normal duties and would have had his gun removed.

Go have a chat with your GP they have your best interests at heart, explain to them what yoh want to do and your concerns. They will 100% foght your corner if they believe that the depression would harm a career in the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bilko99

Hello all :-)New to the forum and this will be my first application. With regards to mentoring, has anyone been mentored for this campaign or previous campaigns?

Be careful with mentoring some folk will rip you off. The problem is most good mentors work on word of mouth. If you k ow anyone who is in the police or ex-police they will point you in the right direction.

Yes that's what I'm gathering. My problem is, I don't have the contacts that some others have who have relations in the police :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

So frustrating waiting day by day on the opening! Itching to get started, all this fitness **** I have done to get in wicked shape yet we still could be waiting a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Mike079 wrote: »
    So frustrating waiting day by day on the opening! Itching to get started, all this fitness **** I have done to get in wicked shape yet we still could be waiting a while!

Get used to it lol

Bilko99 wrote: »
    Hello all :-)New to the forum and this will be my first application. With regards to mentoring, has anyone been mentored for this campaign or previous campaigns?

You've made your best move by coming here. There is so much information for those who want to interact. Obviously we can't discuss the details of the various tests but there is plenty of help and support here.

The coaching sessions can be a real crap shoot. Unfortunately just because they were in the police doesn't mean they can coach. Sure they can tell a mean story about the good old days but that will not help you pass.

Best of luck with your application!

Qe can't go into detail about any of the tests but we can regurgitate what the psni have already supplied ref example tests etc. But when it comes to the AC we can tell you nothing sorry.

I know I'm jumping ahead of myself but does anyone know, if you already hold a high level of security clearance, will this speed up the vetting process?

Bilko99 wrote: »
    I know I'm jumping ahead of myself but does anyone know, if you already hold a high level of security clearance, will this speed up the vetting process?

It would appear not. There have been a few here before with high security clearance and their vetting took the same amount of time.

Unfortunately there really are no shortcuts in this long drawn out process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

A family member of mine within the force said to me that there is talk that the new campaign may commence in around 3-4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Razor3677 wrote: »
    A family member of mine within the force said to me that there is talk that the new campaign may commence in around 3-4 weeks

3-4 weeks is a long time for an old maid like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Hi All.
    New here (apart from checking in on the threads over the past couple of years!)
    Applied previously, didn't get through.
    Feel more prepared now and waiting for the 2017 recruitment.
    Signed up, as like many others have already said, seems like there are alot of helpful people on here with good advice!

Welcome and good luck!! :D

• Advertisement

Strange for an austerity government that complains about unemployment rates that they dont pump funds into the emergency services as a way to stimulate economy lol

Looks like the new campaign won't start until April.

30 officers leaving PSNI every month - Police Federation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38630400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Homer01 wrote: »
    Looks like the new campaign won't start until April.

30 officers leaving PSNI every month - Police Federation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38630400
    Another number of months we have to wait then :( I haven't even applied for the police yet and I'm fed up waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pottergirl16

Youll need to have a bit more patience if your gonna stick it out in the long run. 1509 applied October 15 and theres some still waiting to do vetting etc. Its a long process and patience is definitely needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Legally clueless

Youll need to have a bit more patience if your gonna stick it out in the long run. 1509 applied October 15 and theres some still waiting to do vetting etc. Its a long process and patience is definitely needed.
    Absolutely and we have had our fair share of knock backs and delays in this campaign too. We are all in it for the long haul so delays and waiting are unfortunately just part of this process

Guys don't get ahead of yourselves. Take it one step at a time! Get on the old threads and soak up all the information you can. Prepare for the IST as it will be the one hurdle where most will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

As a few others have said the waiting drives you crazy but is all part of the game.

Use the time wisely, my particular tip is to really practice for the first part of the IST and try to really nail 18/19 out of 20 on the piece of comprehension. Gives you a good cushion for the later true, false cant tell and data sheet sections which can be a minefield.

Timetravel wrote: »
    Guys don't get ahead of yourselves. Take it one step at a time! Get on the old threads and soak up all the information you can. Prepare for the IST as it will be the one hurdle where most will fail.

Do you mean the old threads on here? Ie from old campaigns etc just read through them? Just getting to grips with this forum! Been a while since Ibe used one ha!

mwat17 wrote: »
    Do you mean the old threads on here? Ie from old campaigns etc just read through them? Just getting to grips with this forum! Been a while since Ibe used one ha!

Yep. Take a read through the threads. There should be a thread for each part of the process if you take a look. If they aren't planning on starting the new campaign until April you have lots of time to read through and prepare.

• Advertisement

Homer... do you reckon that means the online application/IST won't happen until then or do they mean the stage after this won't happen until then? Or could we still be expecting the applications to be open in the next few weeks?

Advertisement