Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US vs UK pint glasses in pubs

• 13-01-2017 2:03am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had an interesting situation in a pub this evening. Ordered a pint of an American IPA, which normally comes in branded glasses. Get given an Irish brewery pint glass, with beer shy of the top by ~12mm. Says the barman "We've run out of the normal glasses so I've been generous and given you more". By my count, they've been serving pints nearly 100ml shy of what a normal pint is over here. By my reckoning, that's misleading the consumer about quantities they're serving. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't mind, but the barman thought he was doing me a favour :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

feylya wrote: »
    I had an interesting situation in a pub this evening. Ordered a pint of an American IPA, which normally comes in branded glasses. Get given an Irish brewery pint glass, with beer shy of the top by ~12mm. Says the barman "We've run out of the normal glasses so I've been generous and given you more". By my count, they've been serving pints nearly 100ml shy of what a normal pint is over here. By my reckoning, that's misleading the consumer about quantities they're serving. Am I wrong?

If you order a pint in Ireland then you should get an Irish pint, otherwise it is fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

By my reckoning, that's misleading the consumer about quantities they're serving. Am I wrong?

What did the barman say when you told him all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If the glass is not CE stamped with the word Pint my understanding is that pubs can't serve "pints" in it in Ireland. I doubt though that the IPA seller is exporting US pint glasses to Ireland. Likely their glass is pint sized too and the bartender f'd up. To be honest any Irish person I've ever handed a 16oz (US pint) glass to has been very quick to realise it's not a "real" pint. Did you not cop a smaller glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sounds like a place to out and out avoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

By my reckoning, that's misleading the consumer about quantities they're serving. Am I wrong?
    If they're advertising it as being served and charged by the pint, and then not serving people a pint, then it's illegal. Short measure, illegal as it is, is extremely common in Dublin, especially in the craft beer sector. But people don't seem to really mind, don't complain (except to the Internet, where it makes no difference to anything), so the pubs keep doing it.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    If the glass is not CE stamped with the word Pint my understanding is that pubs can't serve "pints" in it in Ireland.
    That's not true. The CE stamp just guarantees that the glass holds a pint. Bars can still serve pints in non-stamped glasses as long as customers being charged for a pint get a pint. The CE stamp simply makes it easier to settle the argument if there's a dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I doubt though that the IPA seller is exporting US pint glasses to Ireland.

Founders do and Sam Adams used to as well.

I could probably guess what bar the OP is talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

We actually got pints recognised by the European Union as a traditional measure. France has similar for magnums and wine bottles and so on.

Despite the Brexiteers notions, the EU was actually very open to the idea of protecting drinkers from being short served and protection of the classic pint glass

irish_goat wrote: »
    Founders do and Sam Adams used to as well.
    You do also get identical looking American-branded real-pint glasses made for the UK where selling draught beer by the US pint is illegal. I've seen Sierra Nevada and Samuel Adams ones like this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Passenger wrote: »
    What did the barman say when you told him all this?

"its an American beer. It comes in an American pint"...

BeerNut wrote: »
    But people don't seem to really mind, don't complain (except to the Internet, where it makes no difference to anything), so the pubs keep doing it.

So, where do you suggest complaining to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"its an American beer. It comes in an American pint"...
    This is bullcrap.
    But if they have branded glasses then that is probably what the barkeep was told himself.

What beer was this? Pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I complained to the manager before and suggested I would report them to the CCPC. Next time I was in their was a sign saying the "Pints" of x brands where American "Pints"

biko wrote: »
    This is bullcrap.
    But if they have branded glasses then that is probably what the barkeep was told himself.

What beer was this? Pub?

It seems to be a theme in there. It was mentioned to me previously, but I didn't even cop it at the time (I was very hungover).
    I complained to the manager before and suggested I would report them to the CCPC. Next time I was in their was a sign saying the "Pints" of x brands where American "Pints"

I think the barman last night was the owner...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next time pay with dollars.
    If you don't get a full pint you don't have to pay full price.

So, where do you suggest complaining to?
    I'm still not sure exactly what your complaint is. You asked for a pint and the pub told you that the beer in question is not served in pints but in 473ml measures. You got given a measure and you don't seem to be disputing that it was at least 473ml. It would be nice if the pub advertised that this particular beer comes in this particular measure, but as far as I know Ireland's weak-ass consumer laws around price advertising in pubs do not require them to do so.

If, however, the pub has a sign somewhere saying that a pint of this beer costs what you paid, then they're serving measures shorter than advertised, which is against the law. Here's the CCPC form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm still not sure exactly what your complaint is. You asked for a pint and the pub told you that the beer in question is not served in pints but in 473ml measures. You got given a measure and you don't seem to be disputing that it was at least 473ml. It would be nice if the pub advertised that this particular beer comes in this particular measure, but as far as I know Ireland's weak-ass consumer laws around price advertising in pubs do not require them to do so.

If, however, the pub has a sign somewhere saying that a pint of this beer costs what you paid, then they're serving measures shorter than advertised, which is against the law. Here's the CCPC form.

It sounds like they only informed of the 473ml measure after it was poured though. I would bet if you go in and ask for a "pint" they won't inform you that it's an American pint before pouring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Quite a lot of places seem to operate like this. It has become natural for me just to avoid ordering a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale/Founders All Day which are the usual culprits imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's the NSAI you should be complaining too; they deal in weights and measures.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It sounds like they only informed of the 473ml measure after it was poured though. I would bet if you go in and ask for a "pint" they won't inform you that it's an American pint before pouring it.
    And they're under no obligation to do so. It's honkingly stupid, but it's the law.

But signs saying "American pints" or "16oz pours" are illegal. If the word pint is used it must be 568ml. The only other legal way to express that measure is 473ml, or 0.473L, or the like.

A pub near me used to have 16oz pours on the menu for some beers. I pointed out to them that they had to use metric for non-pints and they changed it on the next print run.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It's the NSAI you should be complaining too; they deal in weights and measures.
    Yes, they seem to do this as well.

Here's their complaints form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The American Pint is different to the English/Irish print (Imperial Pint)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass
    A pint glass is a form of drinkware made to hold either a British ("imperial") pint of 20 imperial fluid ounces (568 ml) or an American pint of 16 US fluid ounces (473 ml). These glasses are typically used to serve beer, and also often for cider.

However if i was in an Irish or English bar and asked for a pint, and they gave me a 473ml measure, then yes, thats incorrect. If you were in america then its correct.
    Probably doesnt make a difference either way. The drink is served the way it is served. If you dont like it then dont buy it. But under the same conditions if you paid for it and then realised the problem i would expect the pub to refund you if you wanted a refund.

As someone already said their pub put up a sign indicating the difference, i think thats an acceptable solution.

The American Pint is different to the English/Irish print (Imperial Pint)
    It is, but there's also a European law which states all measures for goods sold must be metric, with a handful of exceptions. "Pint" is one exception, but the law also says a pint is only ever 568ml in jurisdictions where it applies. An "American pint" has the same status as a "wizard's cupful" or "half a dragon's thimble": the consumer is not expected to understand how much that is, and is being misled if it's not expressed in metric units.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I suppose that is the point. I've a good idea of the pub he was in.

They advertise below the tap what %, size and price the drink is. Some will be 2/3, some pint, and they are actually very rigid as to what they will serve you it in - although the Barman will often do along the lines of what Feylya says "yeah it's only 2/3 serving but sure g'wan then, I'll give you a pint of it" and won't charge extra.

He should be advertising the servings better but I don't think there is the element of trying to squeeze you for the extra bitta money.

I asked for a pint of beer. I got handed an American pint glass. I asked for another pint of the same beer. I got an Irish pint glass, missing the top bit of beer. The point of this is, they are selling pints of beer which are not pint.

What you asked for is not relevant, the law doesn't cover that. If you'd asked for a pint of wine and been given a 250ml glass that wouldn't be illegal either. If by "selling" you mean "advertising for sale in writing", then there's an issue. Otherwise your expectation of 568ml of beer is your mistake, not theirs.

In short, did they promise you a pint or did you just ask for and subsequently expect one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What pub was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This sort of stuff makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So basically the op is complaining about his Ipa that usually comes in a branded glass that is set out for the measurement that beer is sold in.

And became he didn't get his branded glass he was given a different larger glass.

Op bring your glass back up to the bar if this makes you pissed so much.

I suspect you know that the beer is more expensive and is sold in that qty but you are just being fenickity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

listermint wrote: »
    So basically the op is complaining about his Ipa that usually comes in a branded glass that is set out for the measurement that beer is sold in.

And became he didn't get his branded glass he was given a different larger glass.

Op bring your glass back up to the bar if this makes you pissed so much.

I suspect you know that the beer is more expensive and is sold in that qty but you are just being fenickity.

Wrong.

I guess this was a Lagunitas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If they're advertising it as being served and charged by the pint, and then not serving people a pint, then it's illegal. Short measure, illegal as it is, is extremely common in Dublin, especially in the craft beer sector. But people don't seem to really mind, don't complain (except to the Internet, where it makes no difference to anything), so the pubs keep doing it.

That's not true. The CE stamp just guarantees that the glass holds a pint. Bars can still serve pints in non-stamped glasses as long as customers being charged for a pint get a pint. The CE stamp simply makes it easier to settle the argument if there's a dispute.

Interesting. Our bar carries other "pint" size glasses but we use them for cider bottles etc. We never use anything not stamped as a pint. Always thought it was law.
    What you asked for is not relevant, the law doesn't cover that. If you'd asked for a pint of wine and been given a 250ml glass that wouldn't be illegal either. If by "selling" you mean "advertising for sale in writing", then there's an issue. Otherwise your expectation of 568ml of beer is your mistake, not theirs.

In short, did they promise you a pint or did you just ask for and subsequently expect one?

Surely it's on the proprietor, or at least in their best interest, to inform a customer if they can't sell that quantity and what quantites they do sell. I know personally I'd feel the need to explain before hand if I was serving the OP that they weren't getting a pint. If I asked for a pint and got handed a 16oz glass I'd feel a bit peeved. Not something you want your patrons feeling. However give people an informed decision to make and its on them.

Advertisement