Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Edge

Options
  • 12-01-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

So, for the craic I maxed one out on their configurator and the grand total comes to €72140 and low 60s for the entry level with metallic and auto.

Clearly this is the most comically priced car on the Irish market.

The reason I bring it up is all the guff I'm hearing on the radio about their 100 years in Ireland and that the Edge is the 'epitome of modern refinement'!

So, two questions and the first one one of is rhetorical.....

Who in their right mind would buy a Ford Edge at that price?

What other motors our there are priced so out of whack with reality?

Note - exotics and luxobarges are excluded.... Of course the Bentayga is nuts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

100 years my eye. They leave out the detestation they left on Cork in 1984 when they fecked off to Belgium with car production.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They have a few Edge's in Lyons and i have to say they look really well in the flesh. The black grill is much nicer too. Not sure I'd be paying over 50k for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    100 years my eye. They leave out the detestation they left on Cork in 1984 when they fecked off to Belgium with car production.

Well, they have some sort of a HQ on Boreenmanna Road still, whatever they do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

I've only seen 1 on the road so far I suppose it is an alternative to the Germans,Lexus etc although the restyled kuga looks similar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Ford s max vignale is another one priced out of reality.
    60grand plus when you add a couple of options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I can picture the new lotto ads It's the "Ford Edge Vignale" Lotto jackpot haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

carsfan2 wrote: »

Not bad. In fairness I managed to crank a Fiesta Titanium up to €31,420. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In breaking news it has been announced that big new cars, loaded with options, are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

In breaking news it has been announced that big new cars, loaded with options, are expensive.

Um.... Happy Birthday...??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

The edge is mad money here but a nice car. Sport starts at USD$40k in 'merica
    http://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/edge/2017/models/edge-sport/

Had one as a rental when they were first launched a good few years back and thought it was a great car - ideal size for europe. Surprised it too so long to arrive but at that price here I'd be expecting the Explorer which is another fine machine.
    http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2017/models/explorer-sport/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭kyote00

I think we have 'invented' a new thread or app....

Step 1: Pick cheapest car model
    Step 2: Run configurator to full spec, all options/add-ons....
    Step 3: Laugh (or cry)

carsfan2 wrote: »

I got the Vignale up to €72K. The same money would almost get you to an entry level Range Rover Sport - with the new 4 pot. It would certainly get you well tricked out with an XC90...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I priced up a 3.5 V6 4x4 Skoda Superb L&K with all the options and came out to 68k before.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, they have some sort of a HQ on Boreenmanna Road still, whatever they do there.

They're a distributor. Same as all the others. The ad is pretty poor IMO given the history.

I priced up a 3.5 V6 4x4 Skoda Superb L&K with all the options and came out to 68k before.

Impressive....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Impressive....

its actually not a bad shout in the UK , the VRT here makes it astronomically priced for anything of that build quality/spec , let alone a skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

They're a distributor. Same as all the others. The ad is pretty poor IMO given the history.

To be fair, they did provide a huge amount of employment in the years that they were manufacturing here. With globalisation it was inevitable that they would pull out. We are an island after all and they're product is a tad bulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's bigger than a Kuga but still only a 5 seater.

OSI wrote: »
    Similar size, spec and price as a VW Touareg, no?

I would consider the Touareg superior.... I've seen the Edge in the flesh and it's not a patch on the VW inside or out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's a rival to the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento and possibly the Nissan X-Trail (although that comes with only a 1.6 diesel so maybe not?). The Kuga competes with the likes of the Qashqai, Tuscon and Sportage.

To be fair, they did provide a huge amount of employment in the years that they were manufacturing here. With globalisation it was inevitable that they would pull out. We are an island after all and they're product is a tad bulky.

Yes, but the premise of the ad is that Henry Ford was of Irish descent, he set up a factory here and they've been here ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

i had to google this car tbh... not being smart, as I'd consider myself reasonably well up on what cars are out there but i never heard of the "Ford Edge" until this thread. €72k.... Jaysus.

Ford seem to have very fuzzy marketing and some ludicrous pricing through their range these days. That Vignale range... The Focus RS.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    i had to google this car tbh... not being smart, as I'd consider myself reasonably well up on what cars are out there but i never heard of the "Ford Edge" until this thread. €72k.... Jaysus.

You can get the LX model for €55k though :)

Yes, but the premise of the ad is that Henry Ford was of Irish descent, he set up a factory here and they've been here ever since.

I suppose technically they have been here since, disingenuous as the ad's claims may be, the office on Boreenmanna Road has a staff of 40+. Of course it was terrible when they did pull out (Dunlop also) but Cork has done well since through Little Island and Ringaskiddy, etc. Not beyond the realms of possibility that the likes of Ford and Dunlop paved the way for these industries by opening governments' eyes to the potential here.

And the Edge is terrible at the price IMO, I'd take two Kugas for the money instead. Vignale is a flop, Europe-wide, not just here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

It's a rival to the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento and possibly the Nissan X-Trail.

As those are all seven seaters I can't see the Edge troubling any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

More of a rival for the X3 Q5 merc glc I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a rival to the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento and possibly the Nissan X-Trail (although that comes with only a 1.6 diesel so maybe not?). The Kuga competes with the likes of the Qashqai, Tuscon and Sportage.

They are adding a more powerful 2.0 diesel with the facelift model afaik.

• Advertisement

its actually not a bad shout in the UK , the VRT here makes it astronomically priced for anything of that build quality/spec , let alone a skoda.

It's Allroad money at that price mind you. Or the XC version of the new V90 when that hits the streets... I appreciate things can get whacky when adding options or bigger engines, I mean, if Ford offered the edge for 38K with that 2L manual folks might buy it... but it's so out of whack, it makes a 70k 3.5L Skoda seem reasonable by comparison... and that's just nuts!!!

Advertisement