Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3d Parametric Modelling.

• 03-01-2017 12:00am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I,d be interested in knowing what people think is the most widely
    used 3D Parametric Modelling software in use today in general.

I,m considering up skilling my existing cad knowledge, hence the question.
    Most probably orientated towards the manufacturing area.

Thanks in advance,

kadman

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've mostly used Solidworks, 3 companies, ProE, 1 place, and this other program I'd never heard of before or since, 1 place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've mostly used Solidworks, 3 companies, ProE, 1 place, and this other program I'd never heard of before or since, 1 place.

Thanks.

Would it be fair to say that your use would be predominatly for
    engineering single part use. Please correct me if i,m wrong

Thanks

Tim

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would have used it for both parts and assemblies

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

So design the each individual part, and then add them together to make an assemby.

Once the parts become an assembly, do they still collectively have Parametric abilities,
    whereby editing one part, then the whole assembly updates to suit, or does the assembly have to be
    disassembled into parts, then the part edited, and then reassembled into an assembly.

Thanks.

For joinery or shopfitting, or cabinetwork, does any cad package stand apart from the rest,
    in that it can give individual part construction drawings and details.

Thanks

Yeah once you make an assembly you can still edit the parts.

I'm not sure about what program would be best for joinery or shopfitting.

This is a free program if you're working with assemblies of less than 60 parts that might be of use

http://www.ptc.com/cad/elements-direct/modeling/express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

kadman wrote: »
    So design the each individual part, and then add them together to make an assemby.

Once the parts become an assembly, do they still collectively have Parametric abilities,
    whereby editing one part, then the whole assembly updates to suit, or does the assembly have to be
    disassembled into parts, then the part edited, and then reassembled into an assembly.

Thanks.

For joinery or shopfitting, or cabinetwork, does any cad package stand apart from the rest,
    in that it can give individual part construction drawings and details.

Thanks

There are plenty out there but I have only used Solidworks and Inventor but I find Solidworks more user friendly.

For assemblies you can create one standalone part and bring it in to an assembly and create individual parts which are relevant to the initial parent part. Parts created in assemblies are adaptive and so any change made to the individual part, which can be done within the assembly environment or on the indivdual part itself, is linked back to the final assembly.

There are plenty of tutorial videos on YouTube also to help you with any issues. If you have repeat parts or parts which are similar but different it's easy to create a part once and from that create various configurations of that part.

Advertisement