Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat 850 Sport Coupe - Restoration

Options
  • 08-01-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

My father has a Fiat 850 sport coupe sitting in his shed. It's in pretty good condition but hasn't been driven since the 90's. Having never been involved in restoring a car, how would he go about getting started on it? Where would you get parts for a Fiat 850, is there anyone he could contact for assistance?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

silenoz wrote: »
    Hi,

My father has a Fiat 850 sport coupe sitting in his shed. It's in pretty good condition but hasn't been driven since the 90's. Having never been involved in restoring a car, how would he go about getting started on it? Where would you get parts for a Fiat 850, is there anyone he could contact for assistance?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Start with the Classic Fiat Ireland group on Facebook.
    Mechanically, the engine was used for years by Fiat in 127s, Unos, even the Cinquecento although the 850 runs anti clockwise, while the rest run clockwise.
    Stuff like brakes will be the same as later Fiats.
    Body panels will be the problem, keep searching ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

Thanks for the info, and advice.

The body and chassis seem to be in reasonable condition. There is a significant amount of rust but it looks to be mostly surface rust, but hard to say without proper inspection. My father was proposing to get the body cleaned up and re-sprayed the original blue (the original colour can still be seen in the engine bay).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Parts will probably have to be sourced in Italy, with my lancia I sourced a lot of parts there either through eBay.it or suburb.it. Most vendors will have a bit of English but if not you can have basic conversations with google translate, you never know if there are a lot of parts you may even start to pick up a bit of Italian.

Advertisement