Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are fogbows unusual in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭

Was walking in Sligo today and there was a white rainbow at 330pm. Unfortunately I didnt have my camera but it was a fogbow.

I was just wondering are these common in Ireland or are they unusual? I cant remember seeing one as clearly as todays ever.

There was drizzle fog and sunshine so i guess the conditions were perfect. Can anyone more knowledgeable clarify further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have seen them on days when the conditions are right, Utter beauty, but rare

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Saw one last year, August or September IIRC. And that was the only one I've ever seen.

Somewhere between Ballymote and Bunninaden, co. Sligo.

Really regret I didn't stop and take a photo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I see them regularly enough, though I have a habit of looking for atmospheric phenomena. Most people don't realise that they could be looking at a fogbow, given that the bows are generally free of colour and a lot more subtle than bows from larger raindrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

There was a fairly spectacular one in Dunmore East in Waterford during the summer. The photo doesn't do it justice!

405628.JPG

Unregistered Users

One from last week. To be honest, I would not spot it (it's barely visible) but seeing weather conditions I knew I could expected one, so looked around.

Sorry for poor photos from the phone. :o

428717.jpg

428718.jpg

428719.jpg

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

More experience or what? :confused:

Another one just a week after. :cool:

428852.jpg

428853.jpg

Advertisement