Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Lynn Ruane Wants to Ban Comments on Articles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

silverharp wrote: »
    she deleted her tweet, anyone screenshot it?

She's right in there with claims of bullying and attacks on people. I had a read through the replies and didn't see anything harsh, but a lot of them may have been private.

https://twitter.com/SenLynnRuane/status/817298009671274496

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Deleted the Tweet...politicians shouldn't go on social media if they're that thin skinned

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wonder where she stands on blasphemy.

This is the original tweet and what seems to be driving her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This is the original tweet

41 likes. What a conformist country we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"hate slur"

41 likes. What a conformist country we are.

41 people click like on a tweet and you get that from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

She picks her timing well, a day after the Irish times published a 1 sided piece on the alt-right, she wants these types of articles to go unquestioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Basically she's going down the Louise O Neill /una Mullally route, no one can challenge me and I/we control the narrative...Examiner rarely allows comments on Louises pieces on their FB for some "odd" reason

Ah yeah, cut from same cloth. Spotted mulallys latest piece yesterday where she whines about the ITs piece on the alt right. Incredible how in the same piece she hammers them as racists and sexists while repeatedly hammering home how these 'white males' are such a problem

Talk about pot and kettle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

If it wasn't for the comments section I still wouldn't know what a tracker mortgage is!

Like someone else mentioned, I skip the article and head straight for comments, I suspect theirs lots like us. You get the full story in the comments.

Ah, we're developing a really bad relationship with the the auld web, I can see why those in Power would want this block but they won't be their forever though and are just making things worse for themselves in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

By a handful of people.

While I agree that there should be a broader electorate and candidate base, there are:

over 50,000 registered to vote on the Trinity Panel
    over 96,000 on the NUI Panel

No that different really than a Constituency in the Dail and not a "handful of people"

yoppy wrote: »
    You get the full story in the comments.

Typically you get a whole pile of ****e and nonsense, far outweighing and shouting over any bit of common sense in them. They're usually the online equivalent of toilets.

But that's not the point, no matter how much you disagree with them (they're easily ignored), people should be allowed to voice their opinions, up to a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Comment sections are great, they remind us that there will always be a sizeable minority of pathetic whining losers the world. Disable comments and we will forget this collection of dangerous trools, left and right wing nutjobs, attention seeking conspiracy theorists and plain old Mammy's boys/girls ever existed.

tritium wrote: »
    Ah yeah, cut from same cloth. Spotted mulallys latest piece yesterday where she whines about the ITs piece on the alt right. Incredible how in the same piece she hammers them as racists and sexists while repeatedly hammering home how these 'white males' are such a problem

Talk about pot and kettle.

I haven't a clue who these people are and by the looks of it im far better off...What do you be wasting your time reading at all?

Is this where all the misogyny, racism, etc crap feeds down from in this forum?? This use to be a gas forum until all that, it's only here you'll see it.

Typically you get a whole pile of ****e and nonsense, far outweighing and shouting over any bit of common sense in them. They're usually the online equivalent of toilets. .

No, you're repeating what you heard someone say there. You know not what you're talking about.

yoppy wrote: »
    No, you're repeating what you heard someone say there. You know not what you're talking about.

One thing I do know is that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Comment sections are great, they remind us that there will always be a sizeable minority of pathetic whining losers the world. Disable comments and we will forget this collection of dangerous trools, left and right wing nutjobs, attention seeking conspiracy theorists and plain old Mammy's boys/girls ever existed.

How typical, enter thread, see what the general consensus is and then adopt the contrarian position with a few generalised insults thrown in for good measure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

I can't count the amount of times I have gone searching for an answer to a technical query online only to find the real answer in the comments of an article pertaining to the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

This is the original tweet and what seems to be driving her

There is always a bit of the mammy in Irish female politicians. They can't help treating the country like its their children in need of protection.

Attempting to ban comment sections is ridiculous. Journalists are so untrustworthy and dishonest these days its in the comment section that the truth of a matter often comes out. Maybe that's what she is really afraid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

While I'm obviously against the censorship, any such move would at least improve collective internet intelligence by 100000000%

Riskymove wrote: »
    While I agree that there should be a broader electorate and candidate base, there are:

No that different really than a Constituency in the Dail and not a "handful of people"

Also, to be fair, while the TCD/UCD university electorate is undoubtedly quite homegemous (in a class sense), so are many Dail consituencies.

I actually admire LR a lot. Kinda surprised that she'd advocate this in such a blanket sense although I agree that free speech isn't the absolute that some people seem to think it is, especially in the sphere of bullying and/or incitement.

Typically you get a whole pile of ****e and nonsense, far outweighing and shouting over any bit of common sense in them. They're usually the online equivalent of toilets.

But that's not the point, no matter how much you disagree with them (they're easily ignored), people should be allowed to voice their opinions, up to a point.

In the comment section you get both sides of the argument. Its up to you to decipher the truth. If the overwhelming number of comments on an article are against it. What does that tell you? It tells you the article was bull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

In the comment section you get both sides of the argument. Its up to you to decipher the truth. If the overwhelming number of comments on an article are against it. What does that tell you? It tells you the article was bull.

Ever wonder why RTE disable comments on the youtube clips of their shows........

If the overwhelming number of comments on an article are against it. What does that tell you? It tells you the article was bull.

That's not really true, is it?

What does that tell you? It tells you the article was bull.

It tells me that there's an awful lot of eejits out there. Lets take the typical Journal.ie article as an example, none of what you said applies. In fact most of the comments are way off topic and are usually to do with the government or banks for some mad reason. It's then becomes a pissing contest with all sorts of moronic up and down voting.

Clarebelly wrote: »
    Ever wonder why RTE disable comments on the youtube clips of their shows........

Because people who comment on Youtube are dicks?

While I'm obviously against the censorship, any such move would at least improve collective internet intelligence by 100000000%

Do you even know where the comments section is on a page? Scroll down once in awhile and you never know, you might learn something.

You're just rehashing your version of what people say about YouTube commenters, you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Riskymove wrote: »

So an echo chamber for trinity, great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Basically she's going down the Louise O Neill /una Mullally route, no one can challenge me and I/we control the narrative...Examiner rarely allows comments on Louises pieces on their FB for some "odd" reason

Una Mullally yesterday wrote an article that the Irish Times should have censorship of opinions that she didn't share.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement