Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Lynn Ruane Wants to Ban Comments on Articles

Options
  • 06-01-2017 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/SenLynnRuane/status/817161557956247552

There you go, a non elected politician wanting to shut down free speech. Authoritarianism characterised in 140 characters. They are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Any TD that would vote in favour for this should be deemed an enemy of the state.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

*inserts fingers in ears*

"LA LA LA LA
    I CANT HEAR
    YOUUUUUUUUUU
    LA LA LA LA"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How is Lynn Ruane a non-elected politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'd like to see a nice "Irish politician against free speech" headline in a few newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They'll have to shut down Boards too then!

What will we do in work all day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Peregrinus wrote: »
    How is Lynn Ruane a non-elected politician?

The Taoiseach can appoint senators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stop the presses! Ex student union Right On type wants echo chamber! In other news; water is wet.

Though TBH I'm disappointed in her. I figured her having far more backbone and cop on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Taoiseach can appoint senators.
    Yes, but he didn't appoint Lynn Ruane. She was elected.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though TBH I'm disappointed in her. I figured her having far more backbone and cop on.

Lol. Why? Head of an SU running for Seanad doesn't scream either to me. Well, self-interested cop on aside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

By a small minority. Hardly representive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Politician elected from elitist constituency in Ireland wants to ban comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

By a handful of people. It is a ridiculous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a certain point to it - not necessarily removal, but some level of obligation on the content provider to properly moderate the comments section.

The articles posted are required to have even the tiniest smidgin of fact-checking, rigour and honesty in them. The paper will get in trouble with the press council if they fail to meet some basic standards.

Yet the comments below the same article are not subject to the same rules and can contain any old false nonsense and hysterical trolling.

It would make sense that if a paper is going to allow comments to their articles, the comments should be reviewed by a competent person for some of these basic standards before they get published with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Is she gonna ban comments on Irish websites or Irish content or will
    It be like in China and we won't see things that she dos not want us to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

Ruane's tweet isn't worthy of comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a pretty dumb thing to come out with. If you read her subsequent tweets it seems to be driven from previous comments she received on the subject of consent.
    seamus wrote: »
    There is a certain point to it - not necessarily removal, but some level of obligation on the content provider to properly moderate the comments section.

Yes, moderation, not a total ban on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a pretty dumb thing to come out with. If you read her subsequent tweets it seems to be driven from previous comments she received on the subject of consent.

Yes, moderation, not a total ban on them.
    Ah so someone said something she didnt like so her solution is to try to legislate them away

How enlightened totalitarian of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I went to the wrong university, so I don't get to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

In a lot of cases the comments sections have better journalistic qualities than the actual article itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lol. Why? Head of an SU running for Seanad doesn't scream either to me. Well, self-interested cop on aside.
    Maybe acquaint yourself with her life and background? Single mother at 15 from disadvantaged area, racking up the petty crime, turns herself around gets an education and gets into Trinity college as a mature student. Bit different from your usual braying bint from Blackrock cruising on daddy's chequebook.

It does tend to suggest that get enough exposure to that student progressive ballsology and even the more sensible start to buy into the bullshít.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

tritium wrote: »
    Ah so someone said something she didnt like so her solution is to try to legislate them away

Basically she's going down the Louise O Neill /una Mullally route, no one can challenge me and I/we control the narrative...Examiner rarely allows comments on Louises pieces on their FB for some "odd" reason

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

I hear North Korea have an opening in the senate......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

She's taking over Lorraine "4 times not elected" Higgins, censor everything on the web, under the guise of its "bullying"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

she deleted her tweet, anyone screenshot it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Maybe acquaint yourself with her life and background?
    I am. I had a choice as to whether to vote for her or not.
    Single mother at 15 from disadvantaged area, racking up the petty crime, turns herself around gets an education and gets into Trinity college as a mature student. Bit different from your usual braying bint from Blackrock cruising on daddy's chequebook.
    Sounds like a bit of effort.
    It does tend to suggest that get enough exposure to that student progressive ballsology and even the more sensible start to buy into the bullshít.
    Early semi-retirement.

seamus wrote: »

The articles posted are required to have even the tiniest smidgin of fact-checking, rigour and honesty in them. The paper will get in trouble with the press council if they fail to meet some basic standards.

Yet the comments below the same article are not subject to the same rules and can contain any old false nonsense and hysterical trolling.

It would make sense that if a paper is going to allow comments to their articles, the comments should be reviewed by a competent person for some of these basic standards before they get published with it.

The indo does review. Redacted is safe.

What she wants is a total ban on comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

silverharp wrote: »
    she deleted her tweet, anyone screenshot it?

The irony.

I see a bright future for this one.
    Hopefully by this time next year she can graduate to driving down some steps in her car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Donal55 wrote: »
    In a lot of cases the comments sections have better journalistic qualities than the actual article itself.

A lot of articles I don't even read what the journalist wrote I skip to the comments. Especially if it's a journalist I know talks rubbish.

That's true of a lot of guardian comments on Aleppo. Or the campaign against Corbyn. The idea that the people above the line have "the truth" and those below the line don't is nonsense. Journalists have weak journalism degrees, or are related to the editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you just made everyone at the Journal.ie cry

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tritium wrote: »

That's how it seems.
    Maybe acquaint yourself with her life and background?

Which is what makes this all the more disappointing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement