Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

• 03-01-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I recently got my entire downstairs re-floored and got rid of the carpet (joy!).

So I have the perfect environment to let a Roomba run free and do the cleaning for me.

Has anyone got any experience of a Roomba, or are there alternates I should look out for? How well does the battery last after a few years?

I'd like to go for the one that charges itself automatically and resumes cleaning. The area to clean is fairly small (40 sqm) so perhaps it can do it all on a single charge.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We've had the Neato D85 for over a year now. Still delighted with it.

Even after a year, I'd say it would have no problem with 40sqm on a single charge depending on the number of obstacles you have to work around and how messy you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Graham wrote: »
    We've had the Neato D85 for over a year now. Still delighted with it.

Even after a year, I'd say it would have no problem with 40sqm on a single charge depending on the number of obstacles you have to work around and how messy you are ;)

Thankfully I have to re-position all the furniture after the floor was put down so I'll make sure to allow for the Roomba and take up all wires/rugs etc.

It'll mostly be dust, but might be the odd leaf or pine needle when I walk in from the front, will leaves/pine needles be ok for it?

Also, does it set off motion-sensor alarms? :)

mrcheez wrote: »

That looks like the newer WiFi enabled version so can't comment on the Alexa integration other than to say it looks like it has it :D

It'll mostly be dust, but might be the odd leaf or pine needle when I walk in from the front, will leaves/pine needles be ok for it?

Also, does it set off motion-sensor alarms? :)

Can't see you'd have any problems with that type of debris, might struggle with larger leaves.

No motion sensors where ours is used so can't help with motion-sensors. As it's moving, I guess you may have issues. Do your motion sensors have a pet-mode?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Do your motion sensors have a pet-mode?

Possibly, alternatively I can just have it clean the house during the night, or early morning before I leave the house.

I decided to try out a Roomba 650 first as it's on sale at the moment with 30% off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AXJW94S/

Don't really need the Echo integration as I'll probably just set it to clean at night anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering how the Roomba etc works with finding its way back to base? I got a system on trial and it could cover 150m2. The issue I found was I wanted it to clean 3 rooms at night, large rooms. It would clean them good but every morning would come and find it, battery dead in one of the rooms. It could never seem to find its way back.

It was a cheaper model. Just wondering with the more expensive can you map out house or something so it can find its way back?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering how the Roomba etc works with finding its way back to base? I got a system on trial and it could cover 150m2. The issue I found was I wanted it to clean 3 rooms at night, large rooms. It would clean them good but every morning would come and find it, battery dead in one of the rooms. It could never seem to find its way back.

It was a cheaper model. Just wondering with the more expensive can you map out house or something so it can find its way back?

In my research before deciding on the 650, the more expensive Roombas come with a recharge and resume function so they make sure they can navigate back to base, recharge, then move back to the position they originally left. So I believe they always "know" where base is using a built in mapping app. None of the reviews mentioned it had a problem getting back so I'm hoping this is the case.

As I have only 40 sqm to cover, and essentially one large room with 2 smaller side rooms which aren't essential to be cleaned, the 650 worked for me, but the more expensive 960/980 might suit you better.

A tad overpriced I think though... keep an eye out for sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

We've a roomba 600series for 3 years now and couldn't fault it, love the thing, was originally in a 2 bed 900sq foot apartment, now in a 3 bedroom house, schedule is set to do the entire downstairs every weekday morning starting at 6am, battery is still good even 3 years later, the filters/rollers are now readily available on ebay/amazon/etc for very cheap too which is great. I bought it from Amazon.fr which for some reason worked out about €80+ cheaper than anywhere else, whether that's still the case I don't know but worth checking out. When I first bought it after a couple months there was an issue where the rollers were no longer spinning, I contacted Roomba directly and amazon.fr, Roomba at first didn't want to deal with me as it was bought in france, after an email back and forth they agreed to send me the part. in the mean time I also contacted amazon.fr and they sent me a whole new unit. so I've now a spare roller unit.

Good points:
    7 Day schedule is great and easy to set/adjust.
    Parts are cheap, spurious rollers/filters are readily available.
    You do need to keep small items and cables off the floor, this makes you a cleaner person.
    Good battery life.

Bad points:
    Our couch is about the same height as the roombas and it can get stuck underneath it the odd time depending on how hard it hits it. I could get around this by raising the couch a couple mm with shims and then it would also clean under it as a bonus but I'm just lazy.
    The feet on the dock slide easily on wooden floor so sometimes it pushes the dock and cant dock correctly, again easily fixed but I just never go around to it.
    You do need to keep small items and cables off the floor, this makes you a cleaner person

• Advertisement

Bad points:
    Our couch is about the same height as the roombas and it can get stuck underneath it the odd time depending on how hard it hits it. I could get around this by raising the couch a couple mm with shims and then it would also clean under it as a bonus but I'm just lazy.

Could probably put a small rug or something under the couch to prevent access down there?
    The feet on the dock slide easily on wooden floor so sometimes it pushes the dock and cant dock correctly, again easily fixed but I just never go around to it.

Aye, probably just some blu-tack, velcro, or double-sided tape would sort that.

Great to hear battery life is good. Can the battery be replaced?

Also I picked up some black 3M draught excluders which I'm going to tape around the edges to prevent it bumping into any furniture/skirting boards etc.

Great to hear battery life is good. Can the battery be replaced?

Also I picked up some black 3M draught excluders which I'm going to tape around the edges to prevent it bumping into any furniture/skirting boards etc.
    Yes, the batteries are replaceable and it just plugs in/out on a wire, kind like the old battery packs in cordless phones if you know what I'm talking about, it's actually fine bumping the furniture, It's not too rough, the spinning side brush sometimes looses the brissles under skirting boards due to design but I generally replace that part every couple of months anyway as it wears down.
    Here is a link to the parts kit, one of these kits will generally do you/year or even longer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techypro%C2%AE-Replenishment-Bristle-Flexible-Cleaning/dp/B015HFNFJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483719970&sr=8-3&keywords=irobot+roomba+parts+600

My girlfriend was skeptical about buying it at the start as she generally thinks all new technology is a gimmick, but even her mother has since bought one after seeing it working so long in our house.

Yes, the batteries are replaceable and it just plugs in/out on a wire, kind like the old battery packs in cordless phones if you know what I'm talking about, it's actually fine bumping the furniture, It's not too rough, the spinning side brush sometimes looses the brissles under skirting boards due to design but I generally replace that part every couple of months anyway as it wears down.
    Here is a link to the parts kit, one of these kits will generally do you/year or even longer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techypro%C2%AE-Replenishment-Bristle-Flexible-Cleaning/dp/B015HFNFJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483719970&sr=8-3&keywords=irobot+roomba+parts+600

My girlfriend was skeptical about buying it at the start as she generally thinks all new technology is a gimmick, but even her mother has since bought one after seeing it working so long in our house.

Any issues with it finding it ways back to charge point?

Probably best answered by Cathal, but I see on the Roomba site they have a whole wiki entry dedicated to sorting problems if the Roomba can't find it's way back. So it would seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

http://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/592/~/roomba-500,-600,-700-will-not-return-to-its-home-base%C2%AE-or-runs-past-virtual

I think the basic idea is that you should avoid putting anything loose or too many objects on the floor that will get in the way of the Roomba. Basically de-clutter, which is a good thing. I'm perfectly happy to re-position everything downstairs now to cater for the free movement of my (yet to be named) robot.

Also this might provide some insight...

I think it basically wanders around until it "sees" the charging base via infrared.. it probably tries to get close to the charging base when the battery is almost empty so that it can find it's way home without running out.

Never once had any issues there, except when its pushed it's charging point and can no longer dock, I believe its on special on amazon.co.uk at the moment ;266
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B00AXJW94S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483959348&sr=8-3&keywords=roomba+650
    Basically de-clutter, which is a good thing. I'm perfectly happy to re-position everything downstairs now to cater for the free movement of my (yet to be named) robot.
    That's basically it, will make you a cleaner person :)
    Picked Jessie(ours) up a set of goggly eyes in Tiger too

Picked Jessie(ours) up a set of goggly eyes in Tiger too

Ha.. must try that... still deciding on a name for mine.. maybe Phil (for no particular reason) ;)

EDIT: Actually it turns out the original Roomba programmer was named Phil Mass ... I think it's a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

picked up a Vileda robot duster for €15 in Lidl the other day (think it was a clearance item).
    Has a velcro on cloth to pick up dust rather than hoover it up, so far doing an ok job.
    if nothing else it is getting the dust bunnies from under the couch that tend to be ignored when using the Dyson.

I'd been tempted to get one for a while, so I think this may make up my mind for me and I'll invest in a decent one later in the year.

Phil is doing an outstanding job (I get him to tidy up the house after I cycle home and drag my bike through the house).

Activate Phil, head up for shower, come down to a tidy house.

Out of interest how much Roomba set uou back?

• Advertisement

Out of interest how much Roomba set uou back?

Around £265 on Amazon... it's still on at this reduced price although currently out of stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B00AXJW94S/

Around £265 on Amazon... it's still on at this reduced price although currently out of stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B00AXJW94S/

I am about the pull the trigger but the misses will kill me, need to get rid of some of the other 100 devices I have first :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I am about the pull the trigger but the misses will kill me, need to get rid of some of the other 100 devices I have first :-)

She will love ya for it. I am working from home today. While i sit here, my Roomba is pottering around my Kitchen, Hallway, Conservatory and Utility room cleaning away. All i have to do is remember to lift my feet when she heads my way.

Later, Ill close the door leading from hallway to kitchen, and open doors to living room and sitting room and let her do her thing again. (Roomba charges in my hallway)

Go for it.. it may not stay at this reduced price for long

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/product/B00AXJW94S

It's probably one of the most useful "devices" you'll own ;)

*just bear in mind shipping might be a month away or whenever they get new stock in*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

How would these survive to a husky infested home??

Edit: The fur, not them attacking it.

Check the reviews. Should be fine though U may have to clean the brushes after every use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    How would these survive to a husky infested home??

Edit: The fur, not them attacking it.

I have a malamute and was just wondering the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The one I'd be most interested in is the Xiaomi Mi... but I have to stop buying stuff...

409709.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

mel.b wrote: »
    I have a malamute and was just wondering the exact same thing!

I've never heard of that brand... must be Chinese

Advertisement